Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Laptop suggestions
Laptop suggestions
2019-07-17, 8:11 AM #1
Alright, I've sort of gotten bored of my current desktop computers, and I might actually have to get rid of them at some point. Boh!

So, my "simplest" question is this: What's the laptop equivalent of my current desktop computer FGR08?

Originally posted by FGR08 specs:

• Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER, LGA1151, Intel Z170, DDR4, AT
  • CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700K, LGA1151, 4GHz, 8MB, Boxed
  • GPU: Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080, 8GB GDDR
  • RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Dominator Platinum, DDR4 3000MHz, CL1
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5 BlackOut edition ATX, black
  • OS SSD: Samsung 512GB 950 PRO SSD, M.2, NVMe, 2500/1500 MB/s
  • Main HDD: HGST 3TB Desktar NAS H3IKNAS30003272SE, 3.5", SATA III
  • CPU cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, LGA 775/115X
  • PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x, Modular, 80 Plus Gold

(Essentially, it needs to run JK with JkGfxMod without a hitch, DX with the DX10 renderer without another hitch not to mention running Fruity Loops Studio 20 exactly as it does on my current rig (so no extra hitchery there either))

My current FGR08 set-up (Oct 2019):

[Unable to find specified attachment]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-07-18, 10:51 PM #2
I can't believe that the GTX 1080, a freakin' 3-year-old GPU, is still being sold on Amazon.com for 300-400bux. That doesn't seem to help me in this case (selling my desktop 'puter for roughly 1000 € and getting the comparable laptop for, well, 1000 €).
2019-07-19, 10:46 AM #3
That said, if I just get two big wheeled luggage things, I can fit the computers in them instead if I have to move them anywhere.

ballin'
2019-07-21, 4:57 PM #4
usse your phone
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2019-07-21, 5:19 PM #5
good luck with the computer, guy. seems like the days of pc build recommendations on massassi has long past. everyone who has an opinion on your build probably thought this was a joke, like the "existence of god" debate thread.

:(
2019-07-21, 5:49 PM #6
I didn’t have time when I saw this thread and by the time I did I’d forgotten about it.

Basically my answer is that you didn’t provide enough information. You said what software you want to use, and you’ve hinted that you might have to get rid of your desktops, but you didn’t actually say what laptoppiness you want to get out of your laptop. Do you need to carry it everywhere? Do you need to work in transit or in public spaces? Do you need a long battery life? Will you use the built in keyboard and screen, or will you primarily use it docked?

If all you need is a luggable desktop replacement, pretty much any gaming laptop by MSI et al is fine. They’re all really made by the same manufacturer, so look at reviews and pick whatever sounds ok and has the hardware you want. You can usually get ones with desktop GPUs and high refresh rate panels. The battery life is bad and the hardware is marked up, but they are satisfactory luggable desktops. I have a GE63 Raider RGB. It is fine. Not sure you’re going to find one that matches your desktop within your budget though.

If you just need to cut down so your desktops are easier to move or w/e, but you’re still gonna be using it at a desk... buy an ultra compact case and rebuild. Gonna be an awful lot cheaper.
2019-07-21, 9:26 PM #7
I'll usse YOUR phone, Spook!

Yeah, Jon, I was more or less looking for "specs-wise, what's the laptop equivalent of my current one" (and yes, I'd have used it docked for 99.9% of the time for the regular FGR fruityloopsing and JK/DX editing/playing). And I was hoping for a "here's one, costs 600bux" type of an answer since my computer is already 3 years old.

(Realizing the "oh, the GTX1080 doesn't cost 50bux these days" factor also made me note how expensive these gaming laptops are)
2019-07-21, 9:35 PM #8
I’m running a very similar system (6700K, 1080, 950 Pro, 64 GB RAM).

If I were you I would just get a smaller case and rebuild. If you have to replace your motherboard and processor to do it, that’s not a bad place to spend money. If I were upgrading my desktop that’s also where I would spend, but probably in a different direction. I currently have a 1080 and I have absolutely no need or interest in upgrading it any time soon.
2019-07-21, 10:20 PM #9
Yeah, I'm probably gonna go with a compact case the next time I have to upgrade my computer (or CPU tbh - got no real interest in any new/contemporary games). Hoping of course that the GTX1080 is gonna fit into a case like that.
2019-07-21, 10:32 PM #10
It might. Alternatively, GPU water blocks/custom loops have gotten much more accessible now that Corsairs selling them. It wouldn't make the card super small but it would bring it down to a single slot, assuming the radiator and reservoir fit after that.

But I have a 900D, so whatever.
2019-07-22, 2:11 AM #11
I guess ultimately I could just get one of these (except with a sturdier CPU and a 1TB SSD, both for FL Studioing), and I should get most of the money back by selling the current one. If I decide to do any of this, that is.
2019-07-22, 2:19 AM #12
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I guess ultimately I could just get one of these (except with a sturdier CPU and a 1TB SSD, both for FL Studioing), and I should get most of the money back by selling the current one. If I decide to do any of this, that is.

That's a downgrade for a markup.
2019-07-22, 2:38 AM #13
I guess without knowing what your actual constraints are, it's hard to recommend anything. I'm having trouble imagining a situation where I'd be able to manage a mini-itx or a laptop and a docking station but not a full tower.

I've done multiple international moves with a 900D and a three monitor setup. If I had to do it over again, I'd get rid of the desktop and monitors entirely and just slum it with a desktop replacement laptop. They're self-contained and way easier to move. The decision is especially easy if your desktop is a few years old already. If that's the kind of situation you're looking at, then that's my advice. Definitely don't waste your time with a mini-itx.
2019-07-22, 3:00 AM #14
Yeah, the only certainty that I currently have is that I have to temporarily move somewhere else next year (for about 2-3 months) when they're pipe-renovating my apartment. So I guess for that time I'd need some kind of a laptop so I can keep on fiddling around in the usual JK/DX/FL stuff.

Of course, stuff could get worse and I'd have to worry about having to move around regularly, in which a laptop would definitely be far more convenient. So far so good.

In other words, I guess I could primarily prepare for the 2-3-month move and consider the laptop equivalent of that mini-ITX set-up I linked to.
2019-07-22, 7:03 AM #15
I don't use a smarphone
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2019-07-22, 9:31 AM #16
[https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=28531]

Star Wars: TODOA - formerly known as The Truth of the Destruction of Apocalopolis - available for download on ModDB.
2019-07-28, 11:54 AM #17
New question: What would be the present-day equivalent of my 2016 CPU (Intel Skylake i7-6700K, LGA1151, 4GHz, 8MB, Boxed)?

While my days of playing games are over, I'm probably gonna need more CPU power (and possibly RAM) for my on-going FL Studio abuses.

Then again, based on a quick look, I can't just upgrade to an LGA1151 CPU like this since it's not compatible with my mobo. Boh!
2019-07-28, 12:44 PM #18
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
New question: What would be the present-day equivalent of my 2016 CPU (Intel Skylake i7-6700K, LGA1151, 4GHz, 8MB, Boxed)?
The product category is technically filled by the i7-9700K, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the correct processor for you.

Quote:
While my days of playing games are over, I'm probably gonna need more CPU power (and possibly RAM) for my on-going FL Studio abuses.
Thats too bad, planning a gaming rig is easy. If you want to figure out the best option for FL Studio you’ll have to figure out the bottleneck. That usually isn’t trivial. You’ll probably be ok with whatever... probably. But the 6700K isn’t a bad CPU, so it’s not impossible that you can end up with a computer much faster on paper that runs FL Studio slower.

Quote:
Then again, based on a quick look, I can't just upgrade to an LGA1151 CPU like this since it's not compatible with my mobo. Boh!
iirc the 6700k is the fastest CPU that will work with your motherboard (at least without soldering). So you’re probably stuck upgrading either way.
2019-07-28, 9:43 PM #19
Damn. I guess the next time I actually have to upgrade my rig I'd have to go for those AMD Ryzens instead. Unless AMD has been dethroned by then once more.
2019-10-10, 11:15 AM #20
Back in the days of my 2027.35 € UE4 Failure, I basically ruined a Western Digital HDD of mine by installing UE4 on it - and since UE4's editor basically creates and deletes thousands of 0.05-5 kbs files continuously, the hard drive started corrupting other data so I essentially had to stop using it (it was mostly empty for the following two years - and of course it took me two years to finally do something about it).

So now that I replaced it with an internal SSD, I decided to put it to my backup computer... which I succeeded at (wow) for like 3 hours, until I decided to test out if my broken DVD drive managed to work on that computer (instead of my primary one) - which it didn't, but eh.

In other words, of course I managed to ruin the WD drive externally whereas my UE4 Failure Experiment destroyed it internally:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

Boh.
2019-10-10, 7:04 PM #21
You know, I really couldn't be happier with this computer. I needed a portable solution for a couple of competitions (state and national SkillsUSA) in photography and did not want to spend a lot of money on something that would likely on see limited use. I upgraded from 4GB to 12GB and threw a small m.2 SSD in it. I've had over 100 raw files open in Camera Raw and once with minimal slow down. If I had to complain about anything it would be that I wish the screen would get a bit brighter. It's small enough that it stays in my bag at all times and unless something physically happens to it it should serve me well for quite sometime (unless I for some reason get into mobile video editing, I don't know how well it would handle that). It was unavailable for awhile but now it's back although $25 more than I got it for almost two years ago.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!