Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys

Guys

I like the Star Wars trailer

Admiral of Awesome
    I think youíre supposed to like the trailer

I teared up a little bit during the part with c3po. I didnít know robots got cancer

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    I like the Star Wars trailer
    Really or are you trolling?

Yeah, it made me want to see it

Proooobably mostly because of the c3po part

I mean, itís bullpoop. theyíre trying to make us sad about saying goodbye to the three main characters whose names I canít even remember. We havenít even seen them all go on an adventure together, have we? But whatever, Iím in.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I think lots of us plan to see it at some point, but maybe for different motivations haha

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I mean, it’s bullpoop. they’re trying to make us sad about saying goodbye to the three main characters whose names I can’t even remember. We haven’t even seen them all go on an adventure together, have we? But whatever, I’m in.
    It is telling when the comic sidekick's sendoff is a bigger emotional draw than any of the new characters.

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Isn't it just telling of the fact that we've "known him" for longer?

TBH tho, I'd be more sad to see BB-8 die than Rey or Finn or Oscar Isaac.

Admiral of Awesome
    Eh, Iíll see it when it hits Netflix.

But anyway, Eversor has the floor. Where were you, Eversor? "My name is Eversor, and I'm an alcoh- a Star Wars fan?"

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    Isn't it just telling of the fact that we've "known him" for longer?

TBH tho, I'd be more sad to see BB-8 die than Rey or Finn or Oscar Isaac.
    Could be, but IMO the sequels have failed to really get people all that invested in the new characters. The C3PO thing feels a bit of a 'low blow' imo, just a cheap emotional draw because they've already burned through all of the OT stuff they could to get asses in the seats. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Could be, but IMO the sequels have failed to really get people all that invested in the new characters. The C3PO thing feels a bit of a 'low blow' imo, just a cheap emotional draw because they've already burned through all of the OT stuff they could to get asses in the seats. Maybe I'm just too cynical.
    I agree re: investment in the new characters. Also agree that the C3PO line feels like plucking the low-hanging emotional fruit, but mostly because it's in the trailer. It might not feel as cynical in the context of the actual story, who knows.

Also, regardless of whether the Sequel Trilogy is good, it has never really felt like a part of the overall Saga, to me. Yeah, I mean Luke, Leia, and Han are there, and doing stuff, but nothing that feels like a meaningful continuation of what they did in the OT. As wacky as the prequels were, their connection to the OT feels very specific and purposeful. Those 6 movies can feel like a whole, but the 9? Not to me, and so all the "conclusion of the epic 9-film saga blah blah" marketing talk misses me completely.

Bought me a ticket to this one complete w/ the commemorative pint glass and t-shirt, tho. Boh! jk I din't buy no ****in' tchotchkes

Also, regardless of whether the Sequel Trilogy is good, it has never really felt like a part of the overall Saga, to me. Yeah, I mean Luke, Leia, and Han are there, and doing stuff, but nothing that feels like a meaningful continuation of what they did in the OT. As wacky as the prequels were, their connection to the OT feels very specific and purposeful. Those 6 movies can feel like a whole, but the 9?
    I mean really, no pod racing? What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Eh, Iíll see it when it hits Netflix.
    Disney+

I mean really, no pod racing? What gives?
    There's still time for a "Now THIS is podracing!" during the climactic fighter chase/battle.

I'd pay $10 just to hear Oscar Isaac yell that.

Admiral of Awesome
    Disney+
    Did I stutter

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I agree re: investment in the new characters. Also agree that the C3PO line feels like plucking the low-hanging emotional fruit, but mostly because it's in the trailer. It might not feel as cynical in the context of the actual story, who knows.
    So, the plot seems to have been leaked online and I read it so.. I do know a bit about how it plays out. Not going to spoil it, and obviously seeing things in context is different from reading about them. But I'm hopeful it's good in the film.

Also, regardless of whether the Sequel Trilogy is good, it has never really felt like a part of the overall Saga, to me. Yeah, I mean Luke, Leia, and Han are there, and doing stuff, but nothing that feels like a meaningful continuation of what they did in the OT. As wacky as the prequels were, their connection to the OT feels very specific and purposeful. Those 6 movies can feel like a whole, but the 9? Not to me, and so all the "conclusion of the epic 9-film saga blah blah" marketing talk misses me completely.

Bought me a ticket to this one complete w/ the commemorative pint glass and t-shirt, tho. Boh! jk I din't buy no ****in' tchotchkes
    Yeah, that's one of the biggest tensions in the sequels. They want it to be a continuation of the saga, so they include a bunch of OT stuff. Meanwhile they need new characters, so they're also developing new things. These get in the way of each other. Every second JJ Abrams baits the audience with nostalgia from the OT, you're not watching the new characters get developed. Each second you watch Poe's plot develop, you're not getting impactful moments with OT content.

The lack of focus makes everything you see feel half baked. What's worse is they keep trying to promise it ties up the story in a neat way, but if Palpatine is brought back then it will undermine the entire 1-6 narrative anyway. It's all really bizarre and poorly planned out.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Did I stutter
    You said this before, why do you think Disney+ will fail?

^^vv<><>BASTART
    There's still time for a "Now THIS is podracing!" during the climactic fighter chase/battle.
    The only way I'd be satisfied with Episode IX is if they revealed Darth Jar Jar was behind it all the whole time. That level of shlock would make me laugh hysterically and I'd give JJ the "brass balls" award.

Did I stutter
    Stutter+

The only way I'd be satisfied with Episode IX is if they revealed Darth Jar Jar was behind it all the whole time. That level of shlock would make me laugh hysterically and I'd give JJ the "brass balls" award.
    Why have there not been more movies which have radical tone changes on a dime? Youíre watching a sci-fi/fantasy space opera that takes itself seriously and all of the sudden it becomes an absurdist comedy. That kind of genre bending seems so appropriate for the time.

Lando will say it as he flies the millennium falcon out of the crumbling core of the 7th Death Star

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Lando will say it as he flies the millennium falcon out of the crumbling core of the 7th Death Star
    b-b-b-but that would require admitting the prequels exist!

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Though apparently there's a battle droid in the background of the C3PO scene in the trailer. So they're finally admitting the prequels exist to a minor degree!

Admiral of Awesome
    You said this before, why do you think Disney+ will fail?
    Why do you think I think Disney+ will fail?

Administrator
    I'm going to watch it in the theater. The rest were fun enough to spend $10 a ticket or whatever. Except Han Solo, omg I'm glad I missed going to that one.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Forget Star Wars, this will be the film of 2019:

I really am into the Kevin Sorbo Evangelical alternate universe canon. It's probably the most entertaining fictional world anyone has yet created. Endless hilarity.

is disney+ like milk-plus or milk plus vellocet?
    Epstein didn't kill himself.

Forget Star Wars, this will be the film of 2019:

I really am into the Kevin Sorbo Evangelical alternate universe canon. It's probably the most entertaining fictional world anyone has yet created. Endless hilarity.
    lmao was that a katana

I have literally all of the equipment required to make that movie.

I am excited for this though

Probably wont see star wars unless someone i want to hang out with pays for my ticket+drugs

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Brendan Fraser is going the Steven Segal route eh? Loots possibly not bad. Don't watch much Indian film but looks pretty well done

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Why do you think I think Disney+ will fail?
    Ah I see what you mean now.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Is this the unofficial 'movie' thread now?

https://www.thewrap.com/bob-iger-com...marvel-movies/

Bob Iger is sensitive about Scorsese's words, apparently.. yikes :/

I'd be delighted if the unofficial 'movie' thread was called "Guys". JWD, Eversor.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Ooh, new Massassi podcast. Called Guys, we all call in and talk about movies. I'll be the "Star Wars" guy

Admiral of Awesome
    I agree with Bob, Noble Savage 1 is just as good as Taxi Driver.

Ooh, new Massassi podcast. Called Guys, we all call in and talk about movies. I'll be the "Star Wars" guy
    We should do this but all use voice modulators of some sort