Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → They're talking about us!
They're talking about us!
2019-10-29, 2:19 PM #1
on reddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/doqj9d/star_wars_jedi_knight_series_where_to_start/
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2019-10-29, 2:42 PM #2
Someone should post about jkgfxmod.
2019-10-29, 4:25 PM #3
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Someone should post about jkgfxmod.

Is there a basic tutorial somewhere on how to get everything working? Like not just the mod but also the ai-whatever texture packs?
2019-10-29, 4:46 PM #4
There’s a steam community guide, but it could probably do with some revision and rehosting:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1778723490

In part. I don’t think people get that jkgfxmod solves Windows compat issues too.
2019-10-29, 7:02 PM #5
Wouldn't it be pretty easy to automate the installation?
former entrepreneur
2019-10-29, 7:27 PM #6
https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod/issues/21

PR please
2019-10-29, 7:31 PM #7
I'm going to have to give all the updates a new go at some point. I only got a couple of levels in or so before I got distracted procrastinating far more important things I need to get done.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-10-29, 9:45 PM #8
Gotta say I disagree with the folks on reddit saying that DF II: JK has not aged well compared to DF or JO. IMO, JK is the best in the series. And yeah, this is exactly why people ought to be pointed to the gfx mod!
2019-10-29, 10:31 PM #9
Originally posted by Eversor:
Wouldn't it be pretty easy to automate the installation?

AFAIK, the cutscenes and CD soundtrack are the main problem (I haven't used or watched either since 2004, so I always forget about them). If not for them, the installer would more or less be:

1) "Please select your Jedi Knight directory"
2) The installer automatically has jkupd101.exe included in it, so the installer's version of JKVERSIONS (source available on Github) would legally extract JK CD 1.00 EXE from jkupd101.exe without any separate JKVersions hassle
3) The installer moves the previous JK.EXE from the directory and, in the case of Steam/GOG versions, all the extra files under a subdirectory
4) The installer's internal JKVERSIONS extracts JK CD 1.00 EXE in the JK directory. All the other files should have been reconfigured in a way that essentially the JK directory would look like it had been just installed from the disc
5) The installer extracts all the JkGfxMod (+ neural AI) files, maybe even asks you to define your preferred resolution already.
6) That should be it.

In fact, the very first prompt from the installer should be "Do you care about HD space" and then you could select the directory where the installer would extract JK CD 1.00 EXE, and it'd copy all the necessary stuff (Res2.gob, Episode folders, etc.) there - and none of the extra files.

In other words, all the things mentioned above would constitute as a self-contained installer for TODOA.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-10-30, 3:41 AM #10
I guess some JKE should be put in there as well. Or whatever the one with the high poly models was.
Sorry for the lousy German
2019-10-31, 6:11 PM #11
I asked in the past if there was anyway to make JK play updated videos. I'm watching them now and wondering if edited versions could be used in the game. SMK files are 256 color so it wouldn't make sense to try to clean them up and convert them back but I'm wondering if it's possible to save the videos in a format that would display properly on modern screens and implement them in the game. Implementing them in the game is the part I have absolutely no idea if it's feasible but if it were perhaps they could be offered as some sort of optional download component. I converted them to AVI files and just out of curiosity I'm going to see what kind of improvements can be made to them.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-10-31, 6:40 PM #12
Just FYI if you have an older box available you can install Linux on it and JK plays perfectly under wine, including the cutscenes.
2019-10-31, 7:02 PM #13
Well. JK plays fine but, and it's been a minute, but I think the videos are distorted on modern screens. I don't remember but I think it stretches them out full screen. Their resolution btw is 640*300. I'm just about done rewatching them right now and other than some pixelation I think they still hold up really well. It's pretty cool how video compression works. I very recently installed a firewire card so I could get some old video off of some tapes and those raw avi files are pretty huge right now. Similarly, converting the smk files to uncompressed avi files and the total of all of them goes from 482 MB to 15.9 GB.

Also, I actually still have my first PC and the one that I first installed JK onto. Pretty sure that it was capable of max settings with the video card I added and the whopping 24 MB of RAM!

↑ Up to the top!