Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Master of Magic!
Master of Magic!
2020-01-24, 11:16 AM #1
I believe I've mentioned this game here before because I absolutely love it. It's one of the first games I ever played on PC and back when I first tried it I spent way too long messing with autoexec.bat, config.sys, etc., to get enough free uhh primary memory? or something. I have a CD-ROM version that was a re-release some time ago but I see it's also available on GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic

Last time I messed with it I found it extremely easy to get running using dosbox on windows, mac, and linux. My son even put down his rocket league/rust/whatever for a few days and played this game.

It's sort of like old civilization but in a fantasy world and also features tactical battles. When your group of units collides with a group of enemy units it brings up a battle screen which is much more engaging than watching the unit squares bounce of eachother (like in old civ games). This can be a bit tedious if you're overpowered and know you'll win anyway, but you can execute battles such that you don't lose the units you care about and with your battle spells you can even win fights where you would otherwise be outmatched. The tactical battle screens can actually be disabled but I never do that.
2020-02-19, 12:22 PM #2
I tried this game today. It’s fun! Thanks for the suggestion.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2020-02-27, 9:13 AM #3
I never downloaded any mods for this game but I just saw this pop up on Blue's News: https://www.bluesnews.com/s/208531/25-year-old-master-of-magic-gets-dlc

I'm going to try it out sometime soon.
2020-02-27, 9:38 AM #4
Seems like a game I'd like.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!