Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Three Letter Word J - O - B - S
Three Letter Word J - O - B - S
2020-02-13, 3:34 PM #1
I might be getting one soon. How about you?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-02-13, 4:46 PM #2
I've had the same job for over a decade :|

What's your job and why now?
2020-02-13, 4:52 PM #3
Hopefully not one of these!

(Congrats, Wookie)
2020-02-13, 4:58 PM #4
Originally posted by Brian:
I've had the same job for over a decade :|

What's your job and why now?

Well, I "need" a job. The term "need" of course being relative but there a several reasons that I may elaborate on later but clearly having an income is a positive thing. The opportunity came up for a part-time position at the school I'm still attending. 24 hours per week, Mon-Thur, $30/hr. It's the Evening Welding Instructor. My welding experience is mostly limited to what I did when I took the course. The one I graduated from three years ago. The interview went well but I also had the home team advantage. I know more about how the interviews went because, well, the home team advantage. Now, I don't think the home team advantage got me through this first round alone. One of the three applicants had 30 years welding experience. He apparently didn't interview as well.

None of this is official. I know the panel voted me through but it will be some amount of time before I know for sure if I'm moving forward.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-02-13, 5:00 PM #5
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Hopefully not one of these!

(Congrats, Wookie)

Goddam't! I'm an AC/DC fan. Done Dirt Cheap! ;)

2020-02-13, 6:16 PM #6
Congrats, I hope you get it!
2020-02-14, 9:00 AM #7
Recently left grad school and got a job coding and spotting for projects at a civil engineering firm. Pays pretty well and so far seems like a nice place to work. Managers so far haven't been ********s (plus two of them I knew personally before working here, so..)
2020-02-14, 9:52 AM #8
Been finngovernmenting it up for about 11.5 years and ~3 weeks now
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-02-14, 12:48 PM #9
Originally posted by Brian:
Congrats, I hope you get it!

2020-02-14, 11:30 PM #10
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Well, I "need" a job. The term "need" of course being relative but there a several reasons that I may elaborate on later but clearly having an income is a positive thing. The opportunity came up for a part-time position at the school I'm still attending. 24 hours per week, Mon-Thur, $30/hr. It's the Evening Welding Instructor. My welding experience is mostly limited to what I did when I took the course. The one I graduated from three years ago. The interview went well but I also had the home team advantage. I know more about how the interviews went because, well, the home team advantage. Now, I don't think the home team advantage got me through this first round alone. One of the three applicants had 30 years welding experience. He apparently didn't interview as well.

None of this is official. I know the panel voted me through but it will be some amount of time before I know for sure if I'm moving forward.

Well good luck. Sounds like a decent part time gig. And money is indeed very very nice.
2020-02-15, 11:49 AM #11
I recently moved back home to Kentucky and started a new job that's going well so far.
? :)
2020-02-15, 12:44 PM #12
You know I'm right outside Fort Campbell, right?

Anyway, still don't have any official word. I'm anticipating having another interview. We'll see.

2020-02-16, 6:37 AM #13
I need to find something new because my current position is actively making me miserable, but the thought of applications makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.
nope.
2020-02-16, 7:57 PM #14
Well, my wife has found a job in Portland, so hopefully that'll be a good place for me to find something decent, if her career machinations haven't totally ruined my prospects.
2020-02-21, 7:25 PM #15
Well, was formally offered the job today. Never had a second interview. I start Monday.

2020-02-21, 7:46 PM #16
Congrats wookie. How much for lessons?
2020-02-22, 12:34 AM #17
Cheers for that, Wookie

https://vimeo.com/nikumubeki/fanfare
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-02-23, 11:18 AM #18
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I need to find something new because my current position is actively making me miserable, but the thought of applications makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.

Embrace the pain. It'll likely be worth it. I was experiencing something similar at my previous position, and at least for me, the grass if wayyy greener. I went in to each interview thinking "this is just a conversation, you're probably not going to get hired, and there's plenty of fish in the sea if you don't". That did wonders for my state of mind. You can make it fun if you try.
? :)
2020-02-25, 3:25 PM #19
I got hired to work on a documentary about water issues in the west.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2020-02-25, 6:14 PM #20
Nice.

I don't have any access to the computer systems yet and I share a desk with the day instructor so I pretty much just feel like a glorified substitute right now. There is the likelihood that the daytime instructor will leave within the next three years as she is a military spouse and her husband will likely be relocated at least one more time before he hits retirement so there is the potential of that position becoming available for me. The good thing about the day position is it's full time with benefits. The good thing about the night position is a lot more time off. I went ahead and completed the machine tool course today. I had more I wanted to do but I want a little more off time and the reality is I can still go down there and work on anything I want anyway so that's that.

Thanks for the well wishes. Lessons are complimentary, btw, once travel, room, and board are arranged.

↑ Up to the top!