Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → VPNs
VPNs
2020-02-16, 6:25 PM #1
Do any of you ****ing leet haxors use a VPN to protect your precious selves on the internet?

What's a good one? I'm guessing it's not NORD VEE PEE ENN, the podcast/youtube ad spending champ.

What do you look for in a VPN if you use one? What general considerations are worth considering here? I'm thinking it's about time for me to look into one, but I could be wrong there, too.
2020-02-16, 6:56 PM #2
No thanks, I don’t pirate anymore.
2020-02-16, 7:31 PM #3
Should I trust a VPN provider more than Comcast?
2020-02-16, 7:38 PM #4
Probably, Comcast is a much bigger company so they’re maximally capable of using your personal information unethically.
2020-02-16, 7:55 PM #5
I use PIA rarely. Usually when I want something available offline. I'm sure as hell not going to sit here and rip stuff off of DVDs.

It's also handy when you travel to get around any dumb filters on the wi-fi. Or to protect sketchy wi-fi.
2020-02-16, 8:12 PM #6
I used Tunnelbear for a little while. It was cute, but exit nodes were rather limited. I've got PIA now.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2020-02-16, 8:44 PM #7
I use 1.1.1.1 app on my phone and tablet. I use 1.1.1.1 dns on my home network. Mostly because isp dns kept going down.
2020-02-16, 10:13 PM #8
I had actually not really thought of using/having to use a VPN at any point until this thread.

(On the note of ripping DVDs and Blurays, MakeMKV is the mb's knees)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-02-17, 1:42 AM #9
I only VPN into my own home on occasion. But I don't trust commercial VPN providers any more than I trust my ISP.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-02-17, 11:24 AM #10
I use a VPN 24/7 on all traffic out of my home. The UK government is determined to spy on it's citizens and forces all ISPs to log internet activity for a year (see "Snoopers Charter") I've not got anything to hide, but I still value my privacy and it's a nice way of giving the finger to the ridiculous law.

In addition, the network where I work is incredibly restrictive. I wanted to connect to an IMAP email account... IT would not open the outbound port even after a ticket, so I have to use a VPN just to check my email (Ditto with 22 and 3306 which I also sometimes need).
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2020-02-17, 12:05 PM #11
Originally posted by Ni:
In addition, the network where I work is incredibly restrictive. I wanted to connect to an IMAP email account... IT would not open the outbound port even after a ticket

Exfiltration risk?
2020-02-17, 12:09 PM #12
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Exfiltration risk?

I'm defense industry, and they just block private email/storage (Dropbox, iCloud, GDrive, etc) entirely for that reason.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2020-02-17, 4:48 PM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Exfiltration risk?

Their suggestion was "just use webmail" so I'm guessing not.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2020-02-23, 11:08 AM #14
I'm currently using NordVPN, because this happened after I already had a 3-year subscription, but I'm likely going to switch to ProtonVPN when that runs out.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, I'd recommend taking a peek at...

? :)

↑ Up to the top!