Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dark Forces UI redesign
Dark Forces UI redesign
2020-02-22, 9:54 AM #1
I saw this today and thought you guys might find it interesting.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/90192993/UI-Redesign-Star-Wars-Dark-Forces
Of all of the Dark Forces games I liked the aesthetic of the first game the most as it felt really in sync with the grungy look of the OT, and perhaps this redesign clued me in on why I don't really like the look of the new Battlefront games, as everything UI wise feels too polished.

Generally I like it visually, though I feel friction with it not being nostalgic enough.
My blawgh.
2020-02-22, 10:21 AM #2
I still wish someone had reverse engineered the UE4 Mos Eisley tech demo (then again, someone probably has in the darker webs - maybe they have for the DF level in that link) so that I could make horrible UE4 SW'y minigames every month.

Alas.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-02-22, 11:22 AM #3
Reimagining a Doom 1993 clone as a Doom 2016 clone.
2020-02-23, 4:41 AM #4
I thought the UI in Dark Forces and Jedi Knight was actually stuff Kyle carried. Like his portable shield came with a little indicator, and the map was a PDA of some sort.

In Alien Isolation, the UI had a 70's low-fi aesthetic to match its source material that I liked. Why not have some fun with UI? I see that there is Aurebesh here and there, so it is sorta Star Wars-y, but it doesn't mix in with the English at all.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2020-02-23, 9:23 AM #5
Why would a federal agency need a patent on a box magazine?
2020-02-25, 6:16 PM #6
I generally agree with everything Phantom-Seraph said. And Jon`C. In this thread, that is.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-02-25, 9:59 PM #7
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I generally agree with everything Jon`C said. In this thread, that is.

How did that feel to type and send?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2020-02-26, 9:14 AM #8
Pretty good actually. I actually agree with him quite a lot.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-02-26, 9:39 AM #9
The redesign looks cool but should be for some new game, I love the look of the original DF.
2020-02-26, 11:06 AM #10
I generally don't like the slick interface in many modern games from an [nostalgic] user experience perspective. From a graphic design perspective, however, I can totally appreciate many of them. The real thing being is that these designs often seem to be to seamlessly blend the user interface of the game with the emarketing aspects. I let my son use the Xbox for a half hour before school and he told me they updated the dashboard this morning. Haven't looked at it yet myself. I'm still a little nostalgic for the old 360 blades.

2020-02-26, 11:31 AM #11
This is cool! Feels a little overcomplicated for a modern design, but I love the shield damage animation & the logo is really great.
2020-02-26, 12:06 PM #12
The blade UI was so good. I have no idea what they were thinking when they replaced it.

Well, okay. That’s not true. I know exactly what they were thinking. They wanted to recenter the UI around live, trophies, and miis. Then within a few months they redesigned it again for synergy with Windows 8.

But it was an unreasonable, radical user interface change. They should have refreshed the blade UI, maybe even with an on-brand flat design. But completely ripping out the user interface of an established product was anti-customer. Save the redesign for Xbox One.
2020-02-26, 12:06 PM #13
Too-slick flat design stuff ain’t Star Wars. This UI looks good as a general game UI. Not as a Star Wars UI.

Star Wars is big ol square buttons and blinking lights. Off brand is off brand, no matter how technically good it might be.
2020-02-26, 4:18 PM #14
If reddit has taught me anything it's that minimalism is good, no matter how bad it is.
2020-02-26, 10:07 PM #15
I wish Reddit taught how to reverse engineer everything from the UE4 Mos Eisley demo so that it could be used as a base for a proper UE4 SW shooter.

DF@UE4 is sort of cursed, though, since even Patrick Haslow's UE4 port of Dark Forces never went anywhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3PRV6n8sZ8
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!