Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What should I play first?
What should I play first?
2020-03-06, 8:07 AM #1
Impulse bought these two, which one should I play first? Both are on Switch.

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Guacamelee! One-Two Punch Collection
2020-03-06, 8:28 AM #2
I've heard good things about Guacamelee!
2020-03-07, 10:55 AM #3
Well since I only got one reply I guess I will follow your advice. Guacamelee here I come!
2020-03-07, 4:52 PM #4
:cool:
2020-03-09, 9:17 AM #5
Well... I played this for a couple of hours last night. I'm not really thrilled. The environments are cool, the humor is fine, the characters are neat, but... ugh it's just not that fun. I've been through 3 or 4 distinct environments and there's still only like 3 total enemies, it's so repetitive. It's all melee combat (as I'm sure you can tell from the title) and they give you one "special" move (upper cut) so it's basically just punch punch punch all day long. I died once during some insane wave of enemies where you can only hit half of them (since half of them are in the "shadow" world), but the half that you can't hit can somehow still hit you. Anyway when I died I was done playing so I pressed exit, and it told me I would lose all progress in this level. I'm still not sure what that meant exactly; it seems to have checkpoints everywhere but if a "level" is a distinct environment I probably lost half an hour and a bunch of special items I collected? If I turn it back on and I have to re-collect those I'll probably never play this again.
2020-03-09, 9:21 AM #6
I've heard bad things about Guacamelee.
2020-03-09, 10:14 AM #7
[FONT=courier new]:|[/FONT]
2020-03-09, 10:34 AM #8
Games are not that fun tbh.
2020-03-09, 11:00 AM #9
Obie Saberi's Poodle Tennis
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-03-09, 12:16 PM #10
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1231332']Games are not that fun tbh.

This can be read two ways:

a) both games listed are not that fun
b) games in general are not that fun

Which is it!?
2020-03-09, 12:55 PM #11
There are no fun games.
2020-03-09, 1:14 PM #12
You know that there will never be anything as fun as the wrench puzzle in the original version of TODOA was https://vimeo.com/284213445
2020-03-09, 1:22 PM #13
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1231336']There are no fun games.

I spend the most time and money with games where I get to take a vacation as a heavily armed day laborer, so maybe games aren’t supposed to be fun.
2020-03-09, 1:50 PM #14
did you guys know that thrawn[numbarz] has been nominated for two (2) [count 'em] BAFTAs? as an individual, personal guy.
2020-03-09, 1:51 PM #15
for a game. but not because of how fun it is.
2020-03-09, 1:57 PM #16
Yeah I've only heard bad things about guacamelee.

I never heard about it before this thread though. Also, the review I read shares alot in common with you, Brian, so you might not like it.
2020-03-09, 2:00 PM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I spend the most time and money with games where I get to take a vacation as a heavily armed day laborer, so maybe games aren’t supposed to be fun.

I spend way too much time getting angry at the AI when trying to get achievements in EU4.

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard!" - almost nuclear war man

Idk, I dont think of games and fun going together. They're more novel places to dump some brain work when I'm bored.
2020-03-09, 2:30 PM #18
Originally posted by Reid:
Idk, I dont think of games and fun going together.

For you personally? I assume you can conceive of why someone might...
2020-03-09, 3:23 PM #19
Originally posted by saberopus:
for a game. but not because of how fun it is.

BAFTA stands for Bideogames Arent Fun: The Awards
2020-03-09, 4:15 PM #20
Eh, I really like some games and find them fun. Just not this one. I don't think I'm going to play it again, I think I'm going to try bloodstained: ritual of the night.
2020-03-09, 10:23 PM #21
I'd have never played any videogame ever in Eversor if I didn't do it for fun.

I mean, I got the Fallen Jedi Order game on Christmas, got annoyed at the unskippable corporate title cards when you start the game (not to mention how many keys there were to customize in the settings), so I quit the game and refunded it without ever getting into the game itself.
2020-03-09, 10:52 PM #22
Originally posted by saberopus:
For you personally? I assume you can conceive of why someone might...

Yes and yes
2020-03-19, 9:50 AM #23
I still haven't tried bloodstained and I never did turn guacamelee back on. However, I did start playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I have not played the first one. So far it's a lot of fun. The graphics/artwork are really really nice. Minor nitpick: sometimes the camera zooms way out so you can get a larger view (like during a boss fight or something). This is disorienting and I have to squint and I find it more difficult than it should be. Axiom Verge did this a few times but it wasn't annoying at all because 99% of the weapons are ranged whereas in this Ori game (so far) it's melee combat. Another funny thing about this game is that if you approach an area you're not supposed to be able to get to yet the game just deactivates your jump button. Like........ ok what? Normally games come up with some obstacle you can't pass because your player can't jump/climb high enough, or it's impassible because of some brick wall and you don't have any explosives, or there's like an acid swamp you can't swim in, or whatever. But they just deactivate jump.
2020-03-20, 4:06 PM #24
I didn't hate Guacamelee, but I also didn't like it enough to finish it. I actually remember enjoying it quite a bit up until a certain point. I think that this point may have been when I had to learn some fairly complex gamepad sequences, which really turned me off. If I wanted to partake in masochism, I'd just open up Super Meat Boy.
? :)

↑ Up to the top!