Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DLSS 2.0: Can 540p Match 1080p Image Quality?
DLSS 2.0: Can 540p Match 1080p Image Quality?
2020-04-05, 10:45 PM #1
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2020-04-07, 10:59 PM #2
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you guys were real nerds.

I guess i'll take this wonderful new, profitable technology someplace else, where they know how to appreciate miraculous ****
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2020-04-07, 11:06 PM #3
DSLR? Don't people use iPhones to take pictures nowadays?
2020-04-08, 7:23 AM #4
Sometimes I do wish that I had gotten more interested in photography (so that "Can" wasn't the only part of the thread topic that I can understand).

The only camera that I own that even vaguely approximates a proper one is this Nikon D3000:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

(Picture taken with a Canon Powershot A630)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-04-08, 7:44 AM #5
when i bought my dslr i had this whole idea on my head that i was going to start taking cool photos and started carrying it around places like street festivals and events

i did a couple times but turns out trying to take pictures at these things can be a hassle

mostly i use it when i want to take a better photo of a new toy than what my phone does
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2020-04-09, 8:07 AM #6
I've got a Canon 6D, and it's still serving me pretty well for the most part, though I've been considering an upgrade. I have to say, though, I'm often disappointed when I go and check out the current line of Canon DSLRs. It seems like feature upgrades n e v e r happen. I can check out the 5Ds, and they have certain improvements over the 6D of course, but nothing seems to have really changed in them in the past 5 years. A certain Canon model may have built-in wi-fi, but it has crappy video modes. Or it will have decent video modes, but the sensor resolution hasn't changed in 10 years. Good megapixel count, but no wi-fi. I just want to hop up to the next tier, but I don't want to pay 1.5x the price of my current camera for something marginally better in some areas but with a MP count I feel like I'm going to regret in two years. Feh.
2020-04-09, 8:36 AM #7
Originally posted by Tenshu:
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you guys were real nerds.

I guess i'll take this wonderful new, profitable technology someplace else, where they know how to appreciate miraculous ****

It’s fine I guess, idk. There’s just so much jank going on in modern renderers that it’s hard to get too excited about a NN upscale. Like the video talked about how this does a better job reconstructing fine details than TAA, which is really great and all, but the whole point of TAA is sacrificing image sharpness to mitigate specular aliasing from high frequency normals (something this may solve) and to a lesser extent preserve subpixel details (which this definitely doesn’t, and the video even pointed it out). So this isn’t actually a drop in replacement for TAA, it’s a supplement at best. And this, all of this, is all just working around some dead end decisions made decades ago, to use brain dead triangle rasterizer cards instead of scenegraph cards, and to use arbitrary shaders instead of differentiable programs or wavelets or hardcoded BRDFs or *anything* that might allow the card to compute an integral versus derpy doo run the program N times until it looks good
2020-04-09, 8:54 AM #8
it doesn't seem to be massively different for me on the nikon side... they haven't made any big changes in the equivalent model since my model came around... the one that bugs me the most is the generation following mine (which apparently was released around the time i bought mine) added support for 60p at 1920x1080 while mine does 30p and 60i... but yeah most of the changes have been smaller... like adding some AF tracking modes while keeping the same AF points or the addition of wifi and bluetooth

though to be fair if i was looking for a new camera body i'd step up a tier, i'd lose a few MP but gain 4K video and better low light
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2020-04-09, 12:27 PM #9
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It’s fine I guess, idk. There’s just so much jank going on in modern renderers that it’s hard to get too excited about a NN upscale. Like the video talked about how this does a better job reconstructing fine details than TAA, which is really great and all, but the whole point of TAA is sacrificing image sharpness to mitigate specular aliasing from high frequency normals (something this may solve) and to a lesser extent preserve subpixel details (which this definitely doesn’t, and the video even pointed it out). So this isn’t actually a drop in replacement for TAA, it’s a supplement at best. And this, all of this, is all just working around some dead end decisions made decades ago, to use brain dead triangle rasterizer cards instead of scenegraph cards, and to use arbitrary shaders instead of differentiable programs or wavelets or hardcoded BRDFs or *anything* that might allow the card to compute an integral versus derpy doo run the program N times until it looks good

Thank you Jon for not talking about cameras, even if I didn't understand half of it. Thank you so much.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2020-04-09, 3:37 PM #10
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Scenegraph cards? I can't find a single thing about this on google, but this sounds incredibly ambitious and interesting in principle.
2020-04-09, 4:56 PM #11
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(graphics_API)

↑ Up to the top!