Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Force Engine
The Force Engine
2020-06-10, 10:16 AM #1
I saw this mentioned on Blue's News yesterday; anybody tried it?

https://theforceengine.github.io/
2020-06-10, 11:40 AM #2
I've been waiting for DarkXL since late 2010 or 2011 or something, so I'll keep on doing that :p
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-06-11, 10:42 AM #3
It renders levels pretty well, and even loads most of the custom maps I've thrown at it.

INF seems pretty feature complete, though it doesn't always handle starting offsets correctly in custom missions. Enemies have no logic yet, and the physics are flat out wrong. Thermal detonators have no throw limit, so you can yeet them into infinity. The level editor looks nice and can load / display components and level geometry.

For a pre-alpha, it's really far a long and benefits from LuciuXL's previous work on the XL engine. Most of the remaining work is reverse engineering the physics and logic.
Taton Qek, The master of masterfully inspired levels that never get released.
2020-06-11, 7:26 PM #4
I'm happy with the mouse aiming mod hack you shared awhile back. Completely transformed the DF experience in my opinion.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-06-12, 8:44 AM #5
Ironically, I've been playing keyboard so long that I actually struggle with full mouse-look. Also turning off the autoaim shows how much of an impact it has on vanilla game play. The Stormtrooper Rifle is a lot less effective without it.
Taton Qek, The master of masterfully inspired levels that never get released.
2020-06-13, 11:20 AM #6
Yeah, I don't think I turned that off! I think my first or one of my first joysticks was a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. I had the look up and down and either turn or strafe on the hat if I remember correctly. I don't believe I ever really had to play that game using Page Up and Down.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!