Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars: Squadron
Star Wars: Squadron
2020-06-16, 5:23 AM #1
Looks like I'll have to buy a VR headset. The first few bits of information about EAs new spacefighter was released.

Looks like they are at least incorparating some of the spacesim-controls. You have at least the ability to control the shield/laser/engine powers. But I guess they won't support the whole range of freedom from the old sims. Should be hard to fit everything on a console controller.

If this will be at least a little bit as good as X-Wing and TIE Fighter I will really have to consider buying a VR headset. Anybody got any money lying around?
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-06-16, 11:32 AM #2
Quote:
Developed by Motive Montreal (which previously contributed to both Battlefront II and Anthem)...

Another welcome improvement: cross-platform support, with multiplayer supported between players on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Squadrons will also be compatible with VR headsets on PC and the PlayStation 4 for players who want even more immersion.

I'm so not interested. My son asked for Battlefront (eh, one or two?) and I bought it for him. He had to sign up for a playstation account and then also sign up for an ea account and then do some song and dance to link them together (and of course lie about his age and input a fake birthday). I don't understand why people put up with this nonsense. The only point of that is so they can track everything you do during the game right? Or maybe "lock" the game to a specific account?

Remember when you could just press the multiplayer tab and look at a list of servers and then just join one? Those were the days.
2020-06-18, 8:01 AM #3
5 vs 5? Ehhhh.

Is this repurposed from BFII's space combat. I mean, it's the same developers that made the lackluster SP campaign, if I recall.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2020-06-18, 11:04 AM #4
That video says nothing about what gameplay is like.
2020-06-18, 10:43 PM #5
The gameplay trailer was released yesterday:

What I don't like is that they did not make the cockpits look like they did in the old games. And I don't like these multi-stage battles. Hopefully we'll have enough freedom to tackle objectives in our own way.

But at least they're keeping the TIE Fighters shieldless. I wonder how they'll tackle balance. The usual way was to give the Empire greater numbers. But that wouldn't work in a 5v5 situation. Perhaps they get more AI pilots or so.
2020-06-18, 11:01 PM #6
And why would the Empire call the Alliance "The New Republic"? They would always be Rebels to them. Especially if this is set shortly after ROTJ.
2020-06-18, 11:17 PM #7
Went through that phase already with having to set my kid up an account with a fake age so he could play online. Now he's fourteen and I'm the one lying about my age! Anyway I actually liked bf2 single player. Pessimisticly optimistic about this new thing. Already said what I said on discord but, basically, their diverse portrayal of the Empire feels way off but, hey, hopefully it's good.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-06-21, 8:01 AM #8
Originally posted by Impi:
The gameplay trailer was released yesterday

Are they trying to make it similiar like Rocket League in a sense?

I guess the Squadron series is the last of the SW staples to resurrect with Fallen Order taking over Jedi Knight. Maybe Podracing is next.
2020-06-21, 4:44 PM #9
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Maybe Podracing is next.

I looked at it on Steam a little while back, was wondering how it'd handle on my HOTAS+P setup; man that game has not aged well, visually.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2020-06-21, 5:34 PM #10
Oh, you need the Expansion Pak.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-06-21, 9:39 PM #11
They've actually announced a remaster of Racer a while ago.
2020-08-01, 9:50 AM #12

Looks like more inspiration from the X-Wing games is more present than I first expected. Ships can be brought to a dead stop, full maneuverability, and charging up a pip in Engine, Weapons, and Shields fully allows an overcharge bonus for each system which could make gameplay interesting.
My blawgh.
2020-08-01, 5:19 PM #13
They've talked about the ability to dump energy from one system into another as well, like how we could drain our lasers for a quick shield boost. I hope the matchmaking is done well though, hearing how stark the differences can be in player levels (assuming that's based on player/craft level, and not just "lol, u suck").
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2020-08-02, 8:17 AM #14
I started playing X-Wing Alliance again. XWAUpgrade makes it even possible to play the game in VR now. Awesome stuff.
2020-08-03, 9:54 AM #15
That's pretty cool. I've been watching xwaup for years now although I don't believe I've ever tried to install any of it. I was trying to play through all of the titles in order but I need to make some physical changes to my setup and I just have a few things that are higher priority right now.

2020-08-04, 12:08 AM #16
I wanted to play them in order as well. But then I got stuck on Tour II, Mission 10 in X-Wing (have been stuck there for a few years, actually) because the stupid Rebel allies keep dying too fast. So I said, **** it, and installed Alliance to see where it's currently at, graphically. Now I'm stuck there on Mission 6 because the stupid Rebel allies keep dying too fast.

I should just play TIE Fighter. That game was perfect.
2020-10-02, 6:01 AM #17
I got Squadrons today. That game is a blast in VR. And VR actually helps you because you can easily look at things that are not directly in front of you. Well, if you're not in a TIE Fighter, at least.
2020-10-03, 12:21 AM #18
And now my son is hogging the game... :-/
2020-10-05, 4:17 PM #19
What VR system are you using?
2020-10-06, 3:03 AM #20
The old Oculus Quest. Never tried another one so I couldn't compare it. But I love it.
2020-10-06, 11:05 AM #21
Does it have a wrench puzzle
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-10-06, 10:52 PM #22
No, only how-to-shoot-them-in-the-face-puzzles.
2020-10-10, 3:49 PM #23
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
They've talked about the ability to dump energy from one system into another as well, like how we could drain our lasers for a quick shield boost. I hope the matchmaking is done well though, hearing how stark the differences can be in player levels (assuming that's based on player/craft level, and not just "lol, u suck").

I only started playing the Multiplayer today. From what I can tell, leveling up only gives you access to a few other loadout options (with no limitation on which ones that you can unlock starting at level 2) and cosmetic customizations. It's not like Battlefront where you have different levels of star cards. A level 5 player can go head-to-head with any other level player and not really be at a disadvantage (other than experience).
2020-10-10, 5:05 PM #24
The old Oculus Quest. Never tried another one so I couldn't compare it. But I love it.

Any other games on there you'd recommend playing? From the official store? I bought one right when it came out but it looks like I'm going to have to sell it soon because I'm not going to sign up for a facebook account just to play video games.
2020-10-11, 1:49 PM #25
Originally posted by Brian:
Any other games on there you'd recommend playing? From the official store? I bought one right when it came out but it looks like I'm going to have to sell it soon because I'm not going to sign up for a facebook account just to play video games.

So far I'm content with the free games available on Sidequest. I love Crisis VRigade and Moon Rider (a Beat Saber clone). Still have some more to try out but time and space are scarce, so I prefer seated games like Squadrons.

Oh, I also got Alyx. It's great. But I've never been a huge Half Life fan, so I'm not dieing to play it every time I get the chance.

And the Facebook thing will only be an issue for existing customers from 2023 on. And I hope until then Germany managed to enact its laws.
2020-10-11, 9:44 PM #26
Wow - so not only is VR very disappointing (to me, just like 3D movies) but with an added feature of obligatory Facebook registration I think I'm going to have to start editing BUILD again.
2020-10-12, 10:45 PM #27
Oh, I also got Alyx. It's great. But I've never been a huge Half Life fan, so I'm not dieing to play it every time I get the chance.

What do you think of the liquid shader? I really want to play it just to see what that is like.
My blawgh.
2020-10-13, 5:41 AM #28
Haven't played around with the liquids yet. But I think the physics stuff isn't that impressive anyway. It's there and it would suck if it wasn't. But at the end of the day it is just the normal video game technical evolution I've come to expect. Nothing really impresses me anymore.
I've found the shooting and handling of the gun much more fun than playing with the environment.
2020-10-19, 8:19 AM #29
Not a particularly high quality video but damn if this isn't cool. One of the reasons I need to put in attic stairs.

2020-10-26, 1:50 PM #30
That's cool as heck.
2020-10-28, 3:42 PM #31
I've found the shooting and handling of the gun much more fun than playing with the environment.

Do the 3D puzzles get tiring/monotonous? Seem like an awful a lot.
2020-10-29, 12:31 AM #32
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Do the 3D puzzles get tiring/monotonous? Seem like an awful a lot.

Don't know. I haven't played enough for it to get boring.
2020-10-29, 12:33 AM #33
I've still got no interest in VR, so I shall keep on waiting for someone to finish this instead: http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=102§ion=screenshots

(Or at least do some texturing)
2020-11-05, 3:08 PM #34
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Not a particularly high quality video but damn if this isn't cool. One of the reasons I need to put in attic stairs.

That's amazing. I actually wasn't aware of XWVM. That alone looks amazing and I should give it a spin. It looks like it breathes new life into a 320x240 game.
2020-11-06, 12:12 AM #35
XWVM isn't released yet and they're taking their sweet time.
2020-11-18, 1:10 PM #36
EA seems to be having a stroke or something. Despite them saying that they wouldn't release any additional content they will be releasing a new multiplayer map this month and next month even the B-Wing and TIE Defender along with the long requested ability to create custom games. I guess the game did as well as I hoped it would.
2020-11-20, 8:41 PM #37
This game is awesome in VR! But I feel like I need to do neck stretches beforehand, lest I break something! #old
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2020-11-22, 11:08 AM #38
Epic Game Store is doing Elite Dangerous free right now, just FYI.

2020-11-22, 9:53 PM #39
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Epic Game Store is doing Elite Dangerous free right now, just FYI.

And it includes the expansion.

Is StarSquads worth? I don't have a joystick anymore (my wingman extreme 3d died, what a surprise) and I'm pretty ass at flying with m+k unless it's Freelancer.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2020-11-23, 7:09 AM #40
Originally posted by Alan:
Is StarSquads worth? I don't have a joystick anymore (my wingman extreme 3d died, what a surprise) and I'm pretty ass at flying with m+k unless it's Freelancer.

I really really like the game. But I hear it's quite clunky with mouse and keyboard. If you have a controller, supposedly the better performing players are using that. Although I wouldn't part with my HOTAS for the immersion.

↑ Up to the top!