Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → FGR Computer Thing Again
FGR Computer Thing Again
2020-06-16, 7:15 AM #1
Alright, so these are my current mobo+CPU specs:

• Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER, LGA1151, Intel Z170, DDR4, AT
  • CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700K, LGA1151, 4GHz, 8MB, Boxed

Now, the question is semi-simple:

Would getting the following (to replace the current ones listed above) improve my Fruity Loops Studio rendering times in any significant way?

(Not due to me even particularly needing to render more stuff in FL Studio, but I managed to develop a paranoia about my current mobo+CPU frying up for some reason)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-06-19, 12:13 PM #2
Apparently the answer is "Yes", which is nice.

Of course, getting the new mobo + CPU for my main computer and transferring its current mobo+CPU to my 2014 backup computer might involve having to deal with thermal paste, so I'm going to have to rethink about this. Boh!
2020-06-19, 7:39 PM #3
Don't be scared.
2020-06-23, 9:38 PM #4
That said, I don't think I'm going to go through with this at this point since there's really no immediate need for me to upgrade (it's not like I render tons of FL Studio tracks every day, tbh).

... In fact, I'd say this sudden desire for upgrading stems from how it's summer, and how all my (likely heat-related) hardware failures have taken place in summertime:

- mid-summer 2007 for my Geforce 6600 to malfunction just... because, I think
- late August 2009 for my Geforce 7800 due to me editing TODOA (true story)
- July 2016, in my current apartment no less, I switched the kitchen lights on at one point and a lightbulb actually exploded on me (the light fixture had to be replaced since the bulb had melted into the fixture's innards thanks to sudden 'splosion) and blew a fuse

So while in the first two cases it was a question of cheaply made graphics cards (the 6600 was a Club3D one) just melting, the third one probably had something to do with the wiring in my early 1970s built apartment. Boh.
2020-06-24, 9:43 PM #5
Alternatively, I could also get the cheapest ATX case possible, the cheapest PSU possible and the cheapest SSD (for booting purposes) possible -> then transplant the mobo, CPU and CPU cooler from the 2014 computer to that set-up and have myself a third computer brimming with outdated tech.

A shame that it'd still need an OS and a fresh license for Windows 10 costs effin' 135 euros in this country, so eh. And I don't really have a specific purpose for a third "cheapest and outdated parts possible" 'puter. Boh!
2020-11-05, 11:15 PM #6
Alright, just ordered these bits:

* CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 6-Core
* Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)
* RAM: Corsair 32GB (2 x 16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3600MHz, CL18
* CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

All of those total at 787.60 € thx to Finnprices.

Could have technically carried out the wild option of upgrading to an AMD 5900X or a 5950X while at it, but then I might have had to get a new PSU as well (not to mention how the highest-end CPUs went out of stock few minutes after release...).

Maybe now I can finally play JkGfxMod without weird lag/stuttering issues. In the game as well (zing).
2020-11-05, 11:20 PM #7
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Could have technically carried out the wild option of upgrading to an AMD 5900X or a 5950X while at it, but then I might have had to get a new PSU as well (not to mention how the highest-end CPUs went out of stock few minutes after release...)

That said, I've always spent less than 400 € on CPUs anyway so it's all... good?
2020-11-06, 8:22 AM #8
z'ing!

I also recently got a new CPU, mobo, RAM, and cooler. That was fun. The games, they're so performant now. The videos, they render so much faster now.

now if only any god damn RTX 30 series cards existed in the actual world.
2020-11-06, 9:49 AM #9
Rest assured, Wirth's law will invalidate your temporary gains shortly enough.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2020-11-06, 9:54 AM #10
Hi, Freelancer
2020-11-06, 12:00 PM #11
Yeah, I went through this plan due to my annoyance at things taking a few seconds in FLS whereas they could (possibly) take only a second with a better CPU.

(That and my perennial paranoia about my computers 'splodin)
2020-11-07, 2:24 AM #12
That said, hopefully I'll be more careful with putting the new parts in than I was with handling this "C64 floppy drive-> PC" adapter (luckily after I had 100% successfully used it for the purpose I got it for) - snapped the bloody MicroUSB thingy off

[https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/762375430404964366/774576109127204895/noicegoing.jpg]

BOH!
2020-11-13, 11:43 AM #13
I ordered 2x 2TB m.2 drives for my desktop from Amazon as they were about $80 less than normal. They shipped and then were immediately classified undeliverable and cancelled. I was annoyed but it was a relatively frivolous purchase so it wasn't that big a deal.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-11-15, 8:16 AM #14
Got the new parts on Wednesday: So far the most notable post-upgrade changes have been the massively improved booting times... and how, for some reason, when I'm accessing one of the drives (one of them an SSD) the disk access seems to "freeze" for a moment before continuing (for example, Explorer gets stuck for a couple of seconds when browsing one of the directories before continuing as expected). Perhaps I didn't plug the drives in properly when putting the parts together or something, but eh.
2020-11-15, 8:23 AM #15
As for retro stuff, I found a lot of my dad's old SyQuest cartridges for the Mac (SE/30) recently but no drive itself, and sadly those things are really scarce in Europe and far too expensive to be imported. Boh!
2020-12-09, 5:53 PM #16
Originally posted by saberopus:
Hi, Freelancer

Hi dude
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2020-12-09, 7:49 PM #17
:)
2020-12-13, 12:00 AM #18
...still waiting for AMD to announce a Ryzen 7 5700X 9 9000
2020-12-31, 1:06 PM #19
Greetings, Nikumubeki, and congratulations on the upgrade! It looks to me like you made some excellent choices on what components to get and got a lot of bang for your euro on these components.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2020-12-31, 1:24 PM #20
A shame that it'd still need an OS and a fresh license for Windows 10 costs effin' 135 euros in this country, so eh. And I don't really have a specific purpose for a third "cheapest and outdated parts possible" 'puter. Boh!

I realise I'm late to this thread, but FL Studio works fine on Linux under Wine: https://jstaf.github.io/2018/02/22/flstudio-on-linux.html so you can save a bit of money
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2020-12-31, 1:41 PM #21
Originally posted by Ni:
I realise I'm late to this thread, but FL Studio works fine on Linux under Wine: https://jstaf.github.io/2018/02/22/flstudio-on-linux.html so you can save a bit of money

Thanks anyway - eventually I just went for (relatively) simple upgrades and still sticking with Windows 10.

(And also, in the process: sticking it to GBK. Hoo-haw!)
2021-02-20, 1:11 PM #22
Alright, the FGR computer part listings have been updated.

Hopefully now I'll be able to run JkGfxMod
2021-02-26, 6:17 AM #23
Hmm, only today did I discover the existenece of M.2 heatsinks...

... and realized that this one looks like it's about to snap?

[https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/804413544077590530/814863476170162176/unknown.png]

Boh.
2021-02-26, 11:11 AM #24
It’s just a sticker. There’s some foil in it so it also works as a heat spreader, but it won’t snap.
2021-02-26, 11:25 AM #25
Thanks - good to know.

I might be more concerned about this newer M.2 stick I got a week ago and installed on the other M.2 port, which just happens to be right above the GPU and kind of right under the CPU cooler.

[Unable to find specified attachment]

Still planning to transfer all my FL Studio + VST stuff onto it to see if that's gonna make anything go any faster, but eh.
2021-02-26, 12:01 PM #26
Thanks - good to know.

I might be more concerned about this newer M.2 stick I got a week ago and installed on the other M.2 port, which just happens to be right above the GPU and kind of right under the CPU cooler.

It’s fine. It’s between two things that are conducting heat away from that spot. Even if it did get really hot there, flash chips are designed to operate at a fairly high temperature.
2021-02-26, 12:22 PM #27
Now you're reminding me about this and I just got annoyed about the situation again.

Originally posted by Wookie06:
I ordered 2x 2TB m.2 drives for my desktop from Amazon as they were about $80 less than normal. They shipped and then were immediately classified undeliverable and cancelled. I was annoyed but it was a relatively frivolous purchase so it wasn't that big a deal.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2021-02-26, 12:40 PM #28
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It’s fine. It’s between two things that are conducting heat away from that spot. Even if it did get really hot there, flash chips are designed to operate at a fairly high temperature.

Groovy, thx
2021-02-26, 12:42 PM #29
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Now you're reminding me about this and I just got annoyed about the situation again.

Yeah, in a way I could have not spent 404.70 € on a total of 2.5TB of M.2 SSD space since December, but on the other hand, [UE4 Failure reference here]

↑ Up to the top!