Thread: FGR Computer Thing Again

NIKVMVS-REX-TODOA

FGR Computer Thing Again

Alright, so these are my current mobo+CPU specs:

• Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER, LGA1151, Intel Z170, DDR4, AT
    • CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700K, LGA1151, 4GHz, 8MB, Boxed

Now, the question is semi-simple:

Would getting the following (to replace the current ones listed above) improve my Fruity Loops Studio rendering times in any significant way?

(Not due to me even particularly needing to render more stuff in FL Studio, but I managed to develop a paranoia about my current mobo+CPU frying up for some reason)

NIKVMVS-REX-TODOA

Apparently the answer is "Yes", which is nice.

Of course, getting the new mobo + CPU for my main computer and transferring its current mobo+CPU to my 2014 backup computer might involve having to deal with thermal paste, so I'm going to have to rethink about this. Boh!

Administrator
    Don't be scared.

NIKVMVS-REX-TODOA

That said, I don't think I'm going to go through with this at this point since there's really no immediate need for me to upgrade (it's not like I render tons of FL Studio tracks every day, tbh).

... In fact, I'd say this sudden desire for upgrading stems from how it's summer, and how all my (likely heat-related) hardware failures have taken place in summertime:

- mid-summer 2007 for my Geforce 6600 to malfunction just... because, I think
    - late August 2009 for my Geforce 7800 due to me editing TODOA (true story)
    - July 2016, in my current apartment no less, I switched the kitchen lights on at one point and a lightbulb actually exploded on me (the light fixture had to be replaced since the bulb had melted into the fixture's innards thanks to sudden 'splosion) and blew a fuse

So while in the first two cases it was a question of cheaply made graphics cards (the 6600 was a Club3D one) just melting, the third one probably had something to do with the wiring in my early 1970s built apartment. Boh.

NIKVMVS-REX-TODOA

Alternatively, I could also get the cheapest ATX case possible, the cheapest PSU possible and the cheapest SSD (for booting purposes) possible -> then transplant the mobo, CPU and CPU cooler from the 2014 computer to that set-up and have myself a third computer brimming with outdated tech.

A shame that it'd still need an OS and a fresh license for Windows 10 costs effin' 135 euros in this country, so eh. And I don't really have a specific purpose for a third "cheapest and outdated parts possible" 'puter. Boh!