Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Homebrew on the 2DS/3DS
Homebrew on the 2DS/3DS
2020-09-16, 8:30 PM #1
Has anybody here played around with this at all? I decided to pick up a 2DS for homebrew purposes after watching Modern Vintage Gamer on YouTube. Man, it's like it fights me every step of the way!

I have gotten Duke Nukem 3D, Quake III, and an emulator running though. A bit of a learning curve but I'm figuring it out.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-09-18, 3:04 PM #2
Half-Life installed pretty easy. I've still never played the first one. Don't know if I'll play it on the 2DS or not but it's there. I also just tried my old DS flashcart and it works fine in the 2DS at least as far as running DS games and homebrew.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-09-20, 12:53 AM #3
Oh yeah, I like stuff like this even though I've never had a handheld console or a Nintendo anything for that matter. I also remember seeing someone turn a Wii into a DOSBox system too.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-09-23, 4:11 PM #4
How does a FPS control like on a 3DS?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2020-09-26, 8:54 AM #5
I've had a DS since the Lite days, had a DSi then a 2DS. I don't play many 3DS games as there aren't as many that appeal to me as the original DS games but the bigger screen is nicer.

Homebrew wise, once you've installed Luma old flashcarts work, it was nice to re-use my old CycloDS from back in the day as it never worked on my DSi.

I'm generally using mine for emulators though. I have PicoDrive which is great for Mega Drive (Genesis)/Master System Games, I just completed Desert Strike and Jungle Strike.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2020-09-26, 9:03 AM #6
I somewhat recently played through the SNES version of Desert Strike as well.

Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
How does a FPS control like on a 3DS?

There's a little nubby thumbstick on the right that has the mouselook mapped to it by default. It's pretty intuitive but the overall form factor isn't particularly comfortable to me.

2020-09-26, 6:14 PM #7
I really enjoyed a few games on the ds/3ds but none because of the "3d" (it just gave me headaches). My problem was that the buttons/sticks were laid out such that I got hand cramps if I ever played for more than half an hour :( I think I'd rather play on PC (knowing it's not portable). Switch has same issue for me.

Did anyone notice that Serious Sam 4 came out? I think I have to build or buy a computer just for that.
2020-09-26, 10:07 PM #8
I haven't watched any reviews but the couple I've seen were titled to make me not be too optimistic.

2020-09-28, 12:56 AM #9
Originally posted by Brian:
Did anyone notice that Serious Sam 4 came out? I think I have to build or buy a computer just for that.

I saw a review the other day. Looks like it's riddled with bugs. I'd wait before buying it.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-10-18, 3:15 PM #10
So it's funny that when ever I have done a thing like this over the years I primarily play the same old games. Mostly Donkey Kong for the NES. At one point I had the arcade version running in mame but mame confuses me and since Nintendo's hissy fit a couple years ago it's much harder to find things. So, yeah, basically I'm running NES, SNES, and the above mentioned FPSs on the 2DS. I have an N64 emulator on there but it's not so good right now. One of these days I'll try out Retroarch.

I soft-modded the Wii U now too. Primarily I wanted to be able to play Gamecube games on it and the funny thing is that after you soft-mod the Wii U you have to soft-mod the virtual Wii inside it. That part wasn't spelled out too clearly initially but with the help of YouTube I got it done. Unfortunately you can't play Gamecube discs in a Wii U so they all have to be ISOs. I did already have Eternal Darkness because I downloaded that a couple years ago when my disc was damaged. Today I was able to find the two Rogue Squadron GC games but it looks like if I want to play more of my games I'm going to have to pick up a Wii to mod and use to rip my games or continue to scour the internet until I find them. Also, when I downloaded Eternal Darkness and Dolphin I picked up a cheap Wii U Gamecube controller adapter and I just tested that out and it is plug and play with Nintendont (the Gamecube enabling homebrew).

One of these days I'm going to bust open the old OG Xbox again and mod that. Need to check the old capacitors anyway but, hey, it still works. For now.

2020-10-20, 3:30 PM #11
It sucks that it's so much work to play old games. There's always some subset available legally if you don't mind paying again for the same game you already bought 10 other times on other platforms. I really enjoyed setting up a raspberry pi with emulation software and playing through some old games but it's been collecting dust in a drawer for years now. I think I've resigned myself to rarely-if-ever playing old games again if they are too much of a PITA to set up. The nice thing is that there are so many indie games coming out that play like old games so it's not like I can't find stuff to play.
2020-10-22, 4:44 AM #12
My wife's parent's recently cleared out some old computer stuff and thus gave us my wife's old "Gold Games Collection 2" from 1997. 24 old games on a bunch of CDs, including Broken Sword, Orion Burger, King's Quest 7, Virtua Fighter and Bleifuß. Looks like I'll have to educate my kids in the coming weeks.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-10-22, 7:14 AM #13
You should give me a shout if you ever discover a copy of "Cow Postman" for the Commodore Amiga from your depths
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2020-10-24, 1:56 PM #14
Originally posted by Brian:
It sucks that it's so much work to play old games. There's always some subset available legally if you don't mind paying again for the same game you already bought 10 other times on other platforms. I really enjoyed setting up a raspberry pi with emulation software and playing through some old games but it's been collecting dust in a drawer for years now. I think I've resigned myself to rarely-if-ever playing old games again if they are too much of a PITA to set up. The nice thing is that there are so many indie games coming out that play like old games so it's not like I can't find stuff to play.

I understand what you're saying but in many ways it's never been easier to play old games. Between classics released on GOG to emulators and modded consoles there are so many ways to play old games. I've found out since my last post that you can "inject" Gamecube and other platform games onto the WII U and play them natively. The Internet Archive has the ISOs I've found as well.

↑ Up to the top!