Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything Games 2021
Anything Games 2021
2021-01-26, 11:12 PM #1
As a continuation to the previous two "Anything games" threads, here's a third one.

Let's get started with how this article features a link to JkGfxMod... yet showcases a screenshot of TODOA:
https://nanark.medium.com/brian-hernandezs-marvelous-tribute-to-the-flight-simulations-of-the-90s-afc576359873

... and how this one attributes the release of JkGfxMod to me:
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/alpha-gameplay-teaser-trailer-released-for-star-wars-dark-forces-fan-remake-in-unreal-engine-4/
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2021-01-29, 9:20 AM #2
Should I quit JK modding, thus becoming likely the last ever active JK modder in human history? At this point I've gotten so far in JKGR there's very little I can do that doesn't involve either wasting countless hours in ZED or getting mad at the fact that I don't have the source code for the unofficial patches
JKGR
2021-01-29, 9:35 AM #3
JKGR is one of those fantastic creations that is handicapped by being a JK project - old games can get a sizable audience even to this day (one of the reasons why DXN became my only actual achievement ever was because it was riding on DX's "cult game" status to the max), but JK isn't the game for that (even when taking those articles I linked to into account).

If only there was a way to transplant all the work made for something like JKGR and turn it into its own game, but due to the SITH engine being an eternally proprietary one (and a finicky ******* overall), that's not really a possibility either (even with OpenJKDF2 or sth like that).

That said, your work on JKGR has been splendid and as long as you've gotten enjoyment out of working on it, it's all pretty good m8

(Also, it does remind me of The AMC TC in its scope as something that started out as a Duke Nukem 3D mod and now is more or less its own game based on the eduke32 engine - of course, when the source code for the game is freely available, it's much easier to do that)
2021-01-29, 3:29 PM #4
I mean if you quit I'll just start a new project just so I can say I was the last guy. So better not quit?
2021-01-29, 6:35 PM #5
^
2021-02-04, 7:01 AM #6
Hot damn, my first bit of BUILD editing since 2002

[Unable to find specified attachment]

(Actually very disturbed of how many of the old keymappings I can still remember)
2021-02-06, 7:09 AM #7
Is that JK?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2021-02-06, 10:49 AM #8
I'm pretty sure that's dark forces 1
JKGR
2021-02-06, 1:31 PM #9
>:-/
2021-02-08, 1:24 AM #10
Don't you know your FPS history? That's Doom!
Sorry for the lousy German
2021-02-08, 9:50 AM #11
Originally posted by SMLiberator:
I'm pretty sure that's dark forces 1

psst https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-forces
2021-02-08, 11:19 AM #12
dork farces
2021-02-10, 11:47 AM #13
Speaking of Dark Forces, these voxels are making me moist

(Also, you can download them already which is nice: https://theforceengine.github.io/blog.html)
2021-02-10, 1:56 PM #14
I kinda want to eat those voxels.
2021-02-11, 11:02 AM #15
wth is a voxel

is that like a minecraft model?
JKGR
2021-02-11, 11:24 AM #16
Get your copy of C:\SW\BUILD\SLABSPRI.EXE today and find out:

2021-02-19, 7:08 PM #17
What are the some of the most complex maps and/or mods ever made for JK? Looking strictly at JKL filesizes, the largest one I found in my pc was by pretty far FGR's Apocalopolis at around 9.5MB (I always laugh at that "Hi guys this is my first level" when it looks miles better than anyone else's last) . Most surprisingly, the second largest was Drazen Isle, at around 8.5MB (I didn't look at TODOA SP though).

In terms of complex mods (of course nothing surpasses JKGR hehehe), I'd have to go with TDiR and Life of Grismath, but I honestly can't recall any other that transformed the game to the extent these three did
JKGR
2021-02-19, 11:02 PM #18
Some MotS SP levels (as in, the actual .JKL files) like A Pirate's Tale 5 are 10+ mb in size

Quote:
"Hi guys this is my first level"

Well, it was :ninja:

First released one, anyway
2021-02-19, 11:04 PM #19
Originally posted by SMLiberator:
In terms of complex mods (of course nothing surpasses JKGR hehehe), I'd have to go with TDiR and Life of Grismath, but I honestly can't recall any other that transformed the game to the extent these three did

I'd honestly add SavageX's SS3 into that list as well
2021-04-10, 12:12 PM #20
(BSR's Star Trek project was also heading into that direction)
2021-04-11, 7:00 PM #21
I miss those updates.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!