Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Endruium: VR Lightsaber game.
Endruium: VR Lightsaber game.
2021-03-12, 7:31 AM #1
So for the past few years my late friend and I had been working on a UE4 game for the HTC Vive back when it was new. He came down with a spot of Cancer just before Beatsaber released. About 2 years into our development. Reviews said Beatsaber was "as close to Starwars as you can get in VR right now" which was really heartbreaking because we were so close to beating them to the punch. Beating them to the saber?
Anyway, Lymphoma got the better of him and I had to finish the code on my own with a team of individuals to help with the assets and game design.
It's been on Steam for a couple months but I wanted to show it off here because Massassi is my old home. So if anyone wants to put on a headset and pickup a pair of Plasma Blades, check it out on Steam, the demo lets you get pretty far.
#thisIsNotAStarwarsGame

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1236620/Endurium/
you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word
2021-03-12, 8:36 AM #2
Oh man, sorry 'bout what happened to your friend! If I had a VR set, I'd check this one out
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2021-03-12, 11:19 AM #3
Thanks Niku, it was definitely world-crashing but my team and I are proud to share our project with the world in his memory. He always wanted a legacy, and even if we don't ever break 1,000 sales he contributed a lot to something that can be enjoyed by people all over the world. He'd like that.
2021-03-12, 12:54 PM #4
Sorry about your friend. The game does look really cool, hope it's successful.
JKGR
2022-01-24, 12:56 PM #5
just played the demo...

It IS really fun.. Similar to Beat Saber in many ways, but unique and polished enough that it doesn't feel like a cheap knockoff.. Buying the whole game as soon as I'm done commenting here.. Thank you for sharing.

(My condolences for your friend.. )
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2022-01-24, 2:15 PM #6
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
just played the demo...

It IS really fun.. Similar to Beat Saber in many ways, but unique and polished enough that it doesn't feel like a cheap knockoff.. Buying the whole game as soon as I'm done commenting here.. Thank you for sharing.

(My condolences for your friend.. )

Awe thanks!
We're still supporting Endurium as well, we just began work on a patch that's going to give you a lot more actions you can take so you won't be waiting so long between counter-attacks while you're building up a full charge. I'm ALWAYS looking for feedback so don't be shy!
2022-01-25, 8:48 AM #7
Originally posted by vengaurd:
Awe thanks!
We're still supporting Endurium as well, we just began work on a patch that's going to give you a lot more actions you can take so you won't be waiting so long between counter-attacks while you're building up a full charge. I'm ALWAYS looking for feedback so don't be shy!

I do have two suggestions actually... I've still only played the demo at this point (planning to play of the full game for 30 mins to an hour or so later today), so not sure how relevant these will be, but if you find value in them great, and if not, no worries.

1) In the menu screens, it's hard to see the curser when selecting things. I think adding a "beam" effect from the controller position to the curser would help (as it pretty standard in VR menus) and maybe update the curser to something a bit more visible. (disclaimer: I didn't really look through the options much, so idk if there might already be curser customization options that I just missed.)

2) In (I think the first) demo level, the goal was to "throw" the saber to hit one of the drones. This required a full charge. You could also regen a portion of your shield with a full charge... Regening the shield seemed kind of pointless, since once you have a full charge you can win the level almost immediately... At that point, who cares if the shield is low? I was thinking it would be better if you could expend partial charges to repair the shield.. That way, it requires some strategic thinking.. Do you charge up your shield to keep yourself alive at the expense of it taking longer to get to that full charge where you can win the game? Or do you rush the full charge and hope you don't take too much damage in the mean time? (Note: Since I only played the demo and each level was focused on highlighting one specific element of gameplay, I'm not sure if this is the best way of thinking... But I figured I'd throw it out there for you since you asked for feedback. Feel free to explore the concept if you think it might be worthwhile.)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are continuing to develop this game. I think it has a lot of potential, and, imo, what really sets good game developers apart from the rest, is continued support of their released products.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2022-01-25, 8:52 AM #8
Oh, also... for future goals, some sort of campaign/story (ie how Pistol Whip has) would be fantastic.

2022-01-25, 9:43 AM #9
Indeed, healing may be pointless in the first few levels these days. It is worth noting that the drones do sometimes survive your hit, or you could miss them completely, in these cases healing would be a better option if you have any doubts on your ability to win once you have a charge. These levels are very slow paced so we moved the kill count down to 1 only so you can move on as quickly as you can learn the mechanic.

All the same, partial charges are indeed on the whiteboard for an upcoming patch. We were thinking that healing will always take all of your charge, bringing you back to zero, but attacking would only take 1 "bar" and we'd give that wheel a maximum of 6 bars. Damage would scale for each charge you have, so waiting till your full would be in your best interest unless there is a wounded drone who would die in one more hit, and attacks taking only 1 bar would mean that after the first minute of gameplay you've sort of built up momentum and could keep your offense going provided you don't take a lot of damage.

We're still in the outline phase of these kinds of changes, but we do discuss them a lot over on our modestly-sized Discord.

Edit: Oh, and, definitely a good suggestion on that beam for the menu cursor, if not some options to tweak the cursor as well.
2022-01-25, 5:12 PM #10
It occurs to me I could have just told you that you can turn your lightsaber on and it makes a completely workable laser pointer lol.
But it ended up very easy to implement and managed to sync the color to your blade and it looks beautiful so thanks for the suggestion ^_^
2022-01-26, 11:13 AM #11
Originally posted by vengaurd:
It occurs to me I could have just told you that you can turn your lightsaber on and it makes a completely workable laser pointer lol.
But it ended up very easy to implement and managed to sync the color to your blade and it looks beautiful so thanks for the suggestion ^_^

lol, turning the saber on and using it like a pointing stick WAS my workaround to not being able to see the curser very well. :D

But I'm glad you found value in my suggestion. Looking forward to seeing it implemented. :)

2022-02-17, 5:40 PM #12
You can see the new laser pointers in the test branch if you opt into the Steam beta with code:
ThisIsNotAStarWarsGame
2022-02-18, 4:58 PM #13
lol nice code. :) I'll check it out in the next day or so.

↑ Up to the top!