Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK VR
JK VR
2021-05-03, 9:24 AM #1
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LN5VwZbgE0

Saw this posted on the JK Facebook page. Someone is recreating a few levels of JK in Unity I believe, but with VR support. While I doubt this would be something that gets finished, it would still be cool to navigate a level or two in VR.

With that said, has anyone looked into whether or not actual VR support would be possible within JK? (Mapping mouse movement to the head tracking). It's been done for a number of games that don't natively support VR. I actually played through the Jedi Outcast campaign in VR and it worked really well except for the lightsaber fighting, lol.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2021-05-03, 10:43 AM #2
Sounds so awesome. I know Kiramin made a jkl renderer and Jon`C knows everything and we have the 3d preview thing, I doubt it would be too much of a stretch to adapt it for VR. At the very least you could fly through the level.

Speaking of VR, what's the latest on a decent headset? I got rid of my Oculus Quest because of the stupid facebook login requirement. Other than that I was happy with it. Are there any alternatives out or in the pipeline from a different non-facebook company?
2021-05-03, 11:40 AM #3
@Brian - I had the original Oculus CV1 and just recently upgraded to the CV2. I understand the privacy concerns with Facebook pulling the strings, but they made quite an appealing piece of hardware at only $299 for a very comparable product to the top-end headsets (especially with Oculus Link and the newly released AirLink - assuming you have a powerful PC and 4G wifi connection). But if you're looking to go the non-FB route, I'd suggest looking into the HP Reverb G2 headset for $599. It's new on the market but has great specs, and it's still cheaper than the Valve Index by a longshot.
Author of the JK levels:

2021-05-03, 6:49 PM #4
Level viewer absolutely, game very unlikely.

Some of my initial thoughts here: https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod/issues/58

Doing this would require the source code or substantial reverse engineering. I know of someone who is trying to do something there. Based on their work so far, adding VR support would be a significant re-engineering of the original game (source code or none).
2021-05-03, 6:51 PM #5
With enough motivation it wouldn’t be impossible to add SteamVR/OpenVR support to Gorc (my previous unfinished engine recreation attempt). It would just involve rewriting all of the rendering code. :shrug:
2021-05-06, 10:16 AM #6
@Jon - if anyone knew what would be possible with the Sith engine, I'm sure it would be you. It's sad to hear that VR isn't really possible within the native engine. I know you pulled the plug on Gorc many moons ago, so I'm sure investing time into rewriting code wouldn't make a lot of sense there either. At some point my nostalgia for a video game I played in my early teens can't outweigh the reality that it's a broken engine that hasn't aged well with modern hardware and operating systems. It's a shame that this game never maintained its wider appeal as much as the doom, quake, or half-life games.
Author of the JK levels:

↑ Up to the top!