Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: OpenJKDF2

  1. #1
    ..would like a shrubbery.
    Posts
    4,820

    OpenJKDF2

    https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/OpenJKDF2

    I'm not sure if this was someone here, but this is awesome. Effectively the JK source code through reverse engineering.

    This opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for fixing stuff on modern machines, adding new technologies and just making the game better.

    Now, the re3 project for GTA3 got taken down by TakeTwo. However, they were about to release their own (terrible, apparently) remaster. It's possible the copyright holder for JK can take this down, but I'd hope they'd see that the benefit in doing so is basically zero.
    TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
    SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
    eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
    ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
    k
    WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
    N
    iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,782
    Wow.

  3. #3
    Wow, indeed.
    Sorry for the lousy German

  4. #4
    They seem to be much further along. They just released on flathub. https://flathub.org/apps/details/org...kdf2.OpenJKDF2

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,782
    I finally got around to trying this. I installed the flatpak. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 on an old Lenovo Flex 5 laptop I bought from Costco a long time ago. Getting the jk installation gobs into the right spot was a bit of trouble -- the "install" option which pops up on startup if the files aren't found is completely broken -- it doesn't let me select any files on my filesystem or mounted filesystems. It did print the location where it expected them so I exited, copied the files over, and restarted. It worked really well! I played through the first half of Level 1 and it ran really well. All the control options seemed to work. Windows mode and fullscreen both worked. No crashes or any other problems. Having an FOV slider was really nice. I'd post screenshots but a) they'd look the same as original JK screenshots, and b) the key to take a screenshot indicated it was working but I can't find any actual screenshot files anywhere.

    Anyway, great effort, I love it!!

    And holy hell how did I miss this? You can play the demo level in a browser: https://maxthomas.dev/openjkdf2/
    Last edited by Brian; 11-19-2022 at 03:52 AM.

  6. #6
    This is cool. I want to check this out.

    What ever happened to Jon'C reversed engineered engine. Isn't that what he did?

    What ever happened to that guy anyway.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,782
    He made jkgfx mod which is totally amazing. And I think it was Nikumubeki(??) that made the upscaled texture pack that goes with it. It makes the game look so much better!

    https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod

    I don't know the official source for the texture pack. All searches lead to https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knig...e-texture-pack which seems to be an installer for a bunch of different projects.

  8. #8
    I don't think it was jkgfx (just checked it out, didn't know about that) This was yearsss ago, I remember it being able to run just a few things from JK, maybe 1 level and a couple models and cogs. It was a completely separate executable. I could've sworn it was jon c!

    Really glad to know about these mods though, time to introduce my kids to a real video game

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    He made jkgfx mod which is totally amazing. And I think it was Nikumubeki(??) that made the upscaled texture pack that goes with it. It makes the game look so much better!

    https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod

    I don't know the official source for the texture pack. All searches lead to https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knig...e-texture-pack which seems to be an installer for a bunch of different projects.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by zanardi View Post
    I don't think it was jkgfx (just checked it out, didn't know about that) This was yearsss ago, I remember it being able to run just a few things from JK, maybe 1 level and a couple models and cogs. It was a completely separate executable. I could've sworn it was jon c!

    Really glad to know about these mods though, time to introduce my kids to a real video game
    You're probably thinking of this: https://github.com/jdmclark/gorc

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    You're probably thinking of this: https://github.com/jdmclark/gorc
    Yeah, I think you're right
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •