Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DNS tech support request
DNS tech support request
2022-09-03, 11:56 AM #1
Hello.

It's once again been forever since I posted, last post probably being the same request but I'd like a change of DNS for "who still accesses it???" cog resource site Millennium, as I'm somehow still keeping the site alive at its 23rd year... (wow) If you'd like to take it down, that's an option as well but since Massassi seems to be alive, I could probably keep it going on for as long as it takes...

Around every 5 years or so, I feel like upgrading the cloud server for a better offering and just doing an overhaul and it's that time again but this time I've reserved a permanent IP, so it should no longer change, unless I feel like switching the cloud vendor at some point but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

If someone who is in charge of massassi.net domain be kind enough to switch the IP of millennium.massassi.net to '174.138.126.95', I'll be appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day.
2022-09-03, 4:12 PM #2
Glad to see you're still around! I emailed you about a year ago, but the message bounced :(

Quote:
Hello Hideki!! Long time no see. I hope all is going well with you.

I am working on some improvements to The Massassi Temple and I noticed that when I clicked on millennium it popped up a window asking me to log in to "track.mekst.net". I think it must be some error, but just wanted to let you know.

Brian

I will change the dns for you. Are you ready for it now?
2022-09-03, 7:28 PM #3
Hey :)

Nice to see you're still running this site after so long!
And quite incredibly unbelievable the forum is still alive :)

I think as an administrator, you can see my email from the forum profile?
I've updated that some time ago which works. If not, I can PM you.

As for the popup, I planted a tracker some time ago (just to see if there's 1 person visiting every week :rolleyes:, but realistically just to try out a tracker system, which I think threw an error after I've taken down the tracker system. I've already gotten rid of it, so the site should be fine.

Yes, I've already relocated everything (but keeping the old one until DNS propagates) and the new one is working good, so please make the change.

Thank you.
2022-09-03, 9:36 PM #4
I didn't think to look in your forum profile -- I found your address on your site + previous email exchanges and neither seemed to work :(

In any case I've updated the DNS, please let me know if you need anything else!
2022-09-03, 10:15 PM #5
Kudos to you for keeping it up! :D
2022-09-03, 10:18 PM #6
Thanks for the quick change!

Yeah, things can change in 10-15 years :v:

It's interesting to read topics regarding modern tech like Docker on a site that existed in the 90's but interesting that HTML/JS/CSS combo more or less stayed pretty much that from back then. We do have better tooling for sure though.

I wonder what people had become for their profession and whether experiences in JK editing made a difference for their carrier. For me, JK taught me general programming and building Millennium got me into web and server fields and doing those as a solo dev now.

As for gaming I did play Homeworld 2 quite extensively and had kept some competitive games online for some time till some years ago.
2022-09-03, 10:22 PM #7
Just checked and the site is good with the new IP, thanks!
2022-09-04, 8:40 PM #8
Originally posted by Hideki:
Thanks for the quick change!

Yeah, things can change in 10-15 years :v:

It's interesting to read topics regarding modern tech like Docker on a site that existed in the 90's but interesting that HTML/JS/CSS combo more or less stayed pretty much that from back then. We do have better tooling for sure though.

I wonder what people had become for their profession and whether experiences in JK editing made a difference for their carrier. For me, JK taught me general programming and building Millennium got me into web and server fields and doing those as a solo dev now.

As for gaming I did play Homeworld 2 quite extensively and had kept some competitive games online for some time till some years ago.

There are actually a ton of software devs and game developers who started with JK modding/cog/etc. There is quite a group on our discord if you ever want to drop in! I do software dev professionally since about 2002, definitely got started by creating this site. Glad you are doing well!

↑ Up to the top!