Thread: How did JK/editing influence your career?

How did JK/editing influence your career?

I've been thinking about this since the summer. A number of you guys seem to have gone on to work in either computer programming type fields or digital art/CAD fields. I'm just wondering what everybody's story is. You can be as specific or vague as you like! Did modding JK spark your interest in something and start you down a career path? Did you start to develop useful skills that helped you later on in life?

I feel like I'm sort of the odd man out here, late 90's-early 2000's gaming (and Star Wars gaming in particular) was a big part of my preteen/teenage years, but I never had the patience to learn technical computer skills and work on modding etc. I got interested in music, went to guitar college and now I teach elementary school and play gigs and do recording projects around town when I'm not working.
    COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

Virgin Fleet Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    I've been thinking about this since the summer. A number of you guys seem to have gone on to work in either computer programming type fields or digital art/CAD fields. I'm just wondering what everybody's story is. You can be as specific or vague as you like! Did modding JK spark your interest in something and start you down a career path? Did you start to develop useful skills that helped you later on in life?

I feel like I'm sort of the odd man out here, late 90's-early 2000's gaming (and Star Wars gaming in particular) was a big part of my preteen/teenage years, but I never had the patience to learn technical computer skills and work on modding etc. I got interested in music, went to guitar college and now I teach elementary school and play gigs and do recording projects around town when I'm not working.
    Nah, I don't have a career in it myself, though JK editing was one of my earlier forays into modding. I didn't really hit my stride with creating mods until Skyrim though, all my attempts prior to that were ultimately false starts. Since then I've also created mods for Galactic Civilizations III and Crusader Kings 2.

Did poke around with JK and JO levels, but mostly wound up working with the X-wing series. Wrote a bunch of utilities and mods, including a mission editor that can save and convert between the platforms.

Professionally I'm a Mechanical Engineer in the defense industry, but also use the reverse-engineering and coding to write utilities for our internal Eng group.
    $do || ! $do ; try
    try: command not found
    Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)

I have been working as a software engineer since 2009. I started editing JK/MotS in high school, and I took a C++ class to help me get better with writing COG scripts. After that class, I knew I wanted to do software for a living. It is a passion I didn't know I had, and it's possible that I might never have discovered that had it not been for JK modding and Massassi.

I believe my modding/software background also helped inspire my brother to get into modding and to pursue his computer science degree.
    May the mass times acceleration be with you.

Virgin Fleet Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by darthslaw View Post
    I have been working as a software engineer since 2009. I started editing JK/MotS in high school, and I took a C++ class to help me get better with writing COG scripts. After that class, I knew I wanted to do software for a living. It is a passion I didn't know I had, and it's possible that I might never have discovered that had it not been for JK modding and Massassi.

I believe my modding/software background also helped inspire my brother to get into modding and to pursue his computer science degree.
    That's really awesome!