Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What is the best Star Wars movie?
What is the best Star Wars movie?
2023-05-19, 7:26 AM #1
Let's see your rankings of Star Wars movies. Here's mine.

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. RotJ
4. Rogue One
5. Han Solo
6. TPM
7. TLJ
8. TFA
9. AotC
10.RotS
11. TRoS
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 7:31 AM #2
1. TLJ
2. TLJ
3. TLJ
4. TLJ
5. TLJ
6. TLJ
7. TLJ
8. TLJ
9. TLJ
10. TPM
11. Rogue One
2023-05-19, 7:34 AM #3
umm... how many times can you be the last of something?

nobody's ever really gone
2023-05-19, 7:35 AM #4
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. RotS
4. RotJ
5. TPM
6. dog ****

(Episodes 7-9 aren't Star Wars)
2023-05-19, 7:36 AM #5
Why does Eversor hate Revenge of the Sith so much?
2023-05-19, 8:43 AM #6
Originally posted by cazor:
1. TLJ
2. TLJ
3. TLJ
4. TLJ
5. TLJ
6. TLJ
7. TLJ
8. TLJ
9. TLJ
10. TPM
11. Rogue One

I agree that TLJ should be ranked 7th
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 8:44 AM #7
It's boring and doesn't have any redeeming qualities.

At least for the first half AotC is so bad that it's good. It's memeable!

What does RotS have going for it? It's as monotone and dull as the second half of AotC, but for the whole movie.

Debate me.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 8:45 AM #8
I can't believe you'd rank RotS above RotJ.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 8:47 AM #9
RotJ was resting on its laurels, coasting on the momentum of the ESB. It's no less a rehash of ANH than TFA, and missed an opportunity to take the uniquely good writing of ESB and further build on it to create an adult-oriented sci-fi franchise.

Instead we got Ewoks.
2023-05-19, 8:48 AM #10
Originally posted by Eversor:
Debate me.

[https://i.giphy.com/media/lqczWksNBr4HK/giphy.webp]
2023-05-19, 8:53 AM #11

What does RotS have going for it? It's as monotone and dull as the second half of AotC, but for the whole movie.

Debate me.

RotS had hot lava, come on. Amazing action sequences starting with the attempted arrest of Palpatine, as well as the whole Order 66 sequence effectively depicting the sadness around mass murdering all those venerable Jedi on various planets. All culminating in Ewan McGregor's excellent delivery of his lines in the showdown with his fallen pupil.
2023-05-19, 1:14 PM #12
1. Return of the Jedi
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. The Rise of Skywalker

In all honestly, I'd rather the last 2 on the list didn't even exist...
幻術
2023-05-19, 2:13 PM #13
Originally posted by Koobie:
1. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. The Rise of Skywalker

In all honestly, I'd rather the last 2 on the list didn't even exist...

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about politics on the Massassi forums.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 2:17 PM #14
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
RotS had hot lava, come on.

Hot? It was lukewarm at best.

Amazing

Debatable.

action sequences

Also debatable, that they deserve to be called "action" sequences. I wouldn't know because I usually fall asleep by the time they begin.

starting with the attempted arrest of Palpatine, as well as the whole Order 66 sequence effectively depicting the sadness around mass murdering all those venerable Jedi on various planets.

Don't care. Jedi are lame. They deserve what they had coming.

All culminating in Ewan McGregor's excellent delivery of his lines in the showdown with his fallen pupil.

Ok this part I actually agree with.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 2:27 PM #15
1. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Force Awakens
9. The Last Jedi
10. The Rise of Skywalker
100,000,000. That stupid Han Solo movie
2023-05-19, 2:52 PM #16
Hot? It was lukewarm at best.

Debatable.

Also debatable, that they deserve to be called "action" sequences. I wouldn't know because I usually fall asleep by the time they begin.

Don't care. Jedi are lame. They deserve what they had coming.

Ok this part I actually agree with.

Listen, if you don't "get" Revenge of the Sith and why it's such a great movie, then you probably aren't a fan of the Clone Wars show. Watching RotS and then TCW gives you the full experience of what the PT should have been.

Also, someone else here said it I think: get rid of AotC and make TPM a two-parter.
2023-05-19, 3:06 PM #17
Also, someone else here said it I think: get rid of AotC and make TPM a two-parter.

They should've just made the pod racing sequence a lot longer.

Or! They should've made a movie based on the Star Wars: Episode I Racer video game.

Hey, I guess they still could? Who wouldn't want to see a TV show that let's us all now what Sebulba got up to in between Episodes I and II. Maybe Jake Lloyd could reprise his role as young Anakin.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-19, 3:40 PM #18

Or! They should've made a movie based on the Star Wars: Episode I Racer video game.

Hey, I guess they still could? Who wouldn't want to see a TV show that let's us all now what Sebulba got up to in between Episodes I and II. Maybe Jake Lloyd could reprise his role as young Anakin.

They should make a podracing spinoff to the lego movie set in the star wars universe, based on the lego racing game.
2023-05-19, 9:42 PM #19

lol Jake Lloyd ****ing lost it. His whole childhood he was meme'd by everyone for being in star wars and it ruined his life.

Pretty sure he's in a psych ward now... Which sucks. I wish I could hug him and be like, dude, some of us envied you.
2023-05-20, 1:25 AM #20
Listen, if you don't "get" Revenge of the Sith and why it's such a great movie, then you probably aren't a fan of the Clone Wars show. Watching RotS and then TCW gives you the full experience of what the PT should have been.

Oh yeah also Clone Wars is a TV show for children. Just want to make sure I’ve got me saying that on the record.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-20, 3:53 PM #21
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope,
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Solo
8. Attack of the Clones (I put this after TPM because it's incredibly forgettable. I've seen it at least 5 times and couldn't tell you what happens in it)
7. The Force Awakens
8. The last one of the new trilogy ( I can't even remember the name of it)
9. The Last Jedi

The new ones range from meh to "what were they thinking?". They were entirely lacking direction and the most interesting character, Finn, was entirely sidelined. He went from a main character to a supporting role in the next two. TLJ is just horrible in almost every way possible, the other two are just boring and empty feeling.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2023-05-20, 9:23 PM #22
Originally posted by Ni:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope,
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Solo
8. Attack of the Clones (I put this after TPM because it's incredibly forgettable. I've seen it at least 5 times and couldn't tell you what happens in it)
7. The Force Awakens
9. The Last Jedi

The new ones range from meh to "what were they thinking?". They were entirely lacking direction and the most interesting character, Finn, was entirely sidelined. He went from a main character to a supporting role in the next two. TLJ is just horrible in almost every way possible, the other two are just boring and empty feeling.

I actually agree with this order over mine, for the most part! I totally forgot about Rogue One. I also agree with putting TLJ below Rise of Skywalker, just because RoS is unintentionally hilarious.

Although I haven't actually seen Solo, so I'll have to take your word for its ranking here.
2023-05-20, 9:26 PM #23
Originally posted by Ni:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope,
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Solo
7. The Force Awakens
9. The Last Jedi

The biggest problem is that Rey is a Mary Sue
former entrepreneur
2023-05-20, 9:27 PM #24
TLJ is the best sequel tho
former entrepreneur
2023-05-21, 1:20 PM #25
1: Empire Strikes Back
2: Andor season 1 (if you binge the episodes it feels like a bunch of movies)
3: New Hope
4: Willow (1988) (The true prequel.)
5: Return of the Jedi.

I no longer own any of the prequels and I plan to never buy the sequels. Life is short, why should I spend any of it on something I don't fully enjoy?
My blawgh.
2023-05-21, 8:28 PM #26
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
1: Empire Strikes Back
2: Andor season 1 (if you binge the episodes it feels like a bunch of movies)
3: New Hope
4: Willow (1988) (The true prequel.)
5: Return of the Jedi.

I no longer own any of the prequels and I plan to never buy the sequels. Life is short, why should I spend any of it on something I don't fully enjoy?

Andor is a tv show. Disqualified.
former entrepreneur
2023-05-21, 10:48 PM #27
Semantics.
My blawgh.
2023-05-23, 6:44 PM #28
1. ESB
2. Andor
2023-05-23, 6:57 PM #29
Where do the ewok movies fall in this?
2023-05-23, 9:32 PM #30
former entrepreneur
2023-05-25, 7:26 PM #31
The biggest problem is that Rey is a Mary Sue

I disagree. Rey isn't just a Mary Sue, she's a really boring Mary Sue. But she exists with in a boring arbitrary plot that gives us no reason to care about her.

Luke was kind of a boring Mary Sue, but the rest of the movie carried his character along.
2023-05-26, 6:48 AM #32
ugh
2023-05-27, 8:34 PM #33
1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. There are more...?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2023-06-01, 10:27 PM #34
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Di$ney Star War is not Star Wars the actual continuation of the Star Wars story was already given to us in the Expanded Universe so there was no need for sequel films anyway. The closest we have to a real sequel film is the excellent animated adaptation of Dark Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lADCO-Ar76U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIM76LKh6zs
2023-06-02, 8:14 AM #35
Originally posted by AgentGrady:
Di$ney Star War is not Star Wars the actual continuation of the Star Wars story was already given to us in the Expanded Universe so there was no need for sequel films anyway.

amen brotha
former entrepreneur
2023-06-03, 7:48 AM #36
Some real bad takes in here.

Also, Rogue One blows.
nope.
2023-06-03, 8:45 AM #37
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Some real bad takes in here.

Also, Rogue One blows.

Baconfish's list:

1. The Star Wars Holiday Special
2. Rise of Skywalker
3. Attack of the Clones
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Han Solo
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Return of the Jedi
10. A New Hope
11. Empire Strikes Back
12. Rogue One
former entrepreneur
2023-06-03, 1:47 PM #38
There's zero emotional payoff at the end because it spends two hours completely failing to make you care about the characters, which is a criticism I'd also be willing to levy at Gareth Edwards' Godzilla.

But there's a tacked on bit that makes the secondary antagonist look imposing so WOO VWING VWING etc.

[Andor was surprisngly great.]
nope.
2023-06-05, 8:53 AM #39
but girl misses daddy
former entrepreneur
2023-07-06, 8:17 PM #40

Debate me.

The prequels are better than the sequels, because the prequels are campy enough to be memeable. Also, there was at least an attempt to be creative with the world building.

The real question is whether the sequels are worse than the Hobbit movies.

Both are stupid, but the sequels at least had some fan service jokes that sorta landed the first go through. On the other hand, the sequels felt very, very lazy. The Hobbit movies tried and failed badly, but you don't get the sense that they despised the viewer for even being there.

↑ Up to the top!