Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is there a way to customize Windows XP's GUI Styles?
Is there a way to customize Windows XP's GUI Styles?
2003-12-05, 1:30 AM #1
I would really like to know that. I've had Windows XP for about 3 months now and I've been using the default blue style since then. It's unfortunate that they don't allow you to customize the colors like you could with Window's Classic style. Window's Classic style is butt-ugly now compared to XP's style and I would like to know if there is some advance way to tweak the XP styles, whether it be justing changing colors or replacing bitmaps.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-05, 1:31 AM #2
There is style xp, you can download themes with that. I dont know the link off hand. If you use that its just a 30 day trial unless you buy it.

------------------
^^
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2003-12-05, 2:28 AM #3
www.windowblinds.net
works great

------------------
" You killed me. That wasn't very nice."
Noble Gases
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2003-12-05, 2:37 AM #4
There's also a hacked uxthemes.dll to be found on the StyleXP homepage, which allows you to set new, non-Microsoft skins.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2003-12-05, 3:04 AM #5
I like XP's and 2000's Windows Classic look. Makes 98 look like puke.

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2003-12-05, 3:50 AM #6
I use 9x style everything, but there is a way.

Right click --> properties--> Appearance --> Advanced. You can change most colors from there.

------------------
[12:42] Spork: I wish I knew, coned sucked. owned owns coned and pwned.
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2003-12-05, 3:52 AM #7
the Windows Classic look is nice...
but i'm using WindowBlinds and a nice Aqua OS X skin (the buttons are on the left of the title bar [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

you can get a lot of nice stuff with StyleXP, WindowBlinds, etc.
or you could try a different shell. i'd reccomend LiteStep or BlackBox (google "blackbox windows" and "litestep")

anyway, hope that helps.

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-05, 4:07 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
I use 9x style everything, but there is a way.

Right click --> properties--> Appearance --> Advanced. You can change most colors from there.

</font>

That doesn't work with XP's style - that only works with Windows Classic style.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
2003-12-05, 4:33 AM #9
Click on "Control Panel," then on "Command Center," then on "Reset
Variables," then on "Establish New Parameters," then on "Define Variables,"
then on "Modify Criteria," then on "Effectuate Paradigms," then on the little
icon that says "Do Not Ever Click On This Little Icon," then go down to the
box that says "Enter New Value" and type "2038."

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-05, 9:36 AM #10
in the desktop properties, go to the apprearance tab i believe it is. click on the second drop down menu and you can select from blue (default), olive green (puke), and silver (nice)

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2003-12-05, 10:43 AM #11
StlyleXP Site: www.tgtsoft.com
Site for Themes: themexp.org

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2003-12-05, 11:39 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
Click on "Control Panel," then on "Command Center," then on "Reset
Variables," then on "Establish New Parameters," then on "Define Variables,"
then on "Modify Criteria," then on "Effectuate Paradigms," then on the little
icon that says "Do Not Ever Click On This Little Icon," then go down to the
box that says "Enter New Value" and type "2038."

</font>

Wrong thread, I believe that is the way to activate the Solitaire cheat mode. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2003-12-05, 12:58 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crimson:
in the desktop properties, go to the apprearance tab i believe it is. click on the second drop down menu and you can select from blue (default), olive green (puke), and silver (nice)

</font>

I was asking how to change themes, I was asking how to CREATE my own themes. Thanks for trying to help though.

-- SavageX

------------------
2003-12-05, 1:11 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
I was asking how to change themes, I was asking how to CREATE my own themes. Thanks for trying to help though.

-- SavageX

</font>

ah, i thought it was odd that you didnt know about changing the colors [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

i use windowblinds occasionally, but i can't find any simple, easy to use skins that actually look decent. so if you make one, post it here!

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2003-12-05, 1:41 PM #15
I used Windows Blinds and grabbed the Copper_Deck_2 theme.

http://jdawgg.hypermart.net/images/windowsblinds.jpg

http://jdawgg.hypermart.net/images/windowsblinds2.jpg

------------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints." - Il Duce, The Boondock Saints

[This message has been edited by Vash (edited December 05, 2003).]
2003-12-05, 2:55 PM #16
why hasn't anybody mentioned TweakUI or XP Power Tools? You can get them both for free... Powertools was released by Microsoft...

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-05, 3:04 PM #17
To edit themes you technically just need a resource browsing utility (lets you look at the resources of dll and exe files). Extract the files you want to edit, edit them, and put them back in.

There are programs for doing this, but you need the hacked uxtheme.dll doodah for it to work properly (the hack removes the onlyallowofficialskins stuff).
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!