Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Very weird sector problem
Very weird sector problem
2001-08-20, 3:00 PM #1
This is kind of difficult to explain without graphics, so please bear with me.

All descriptions are from an overhead orientation (Shift+1) unless otherwise specified.

I have one large diamond shaped room, all walls are at 45 degree angles from the horizontal and verticle axes.

Extending from the upper leftmost wall is a small hallway, which is perpendicular to the wall from which it was extruded. This small hallway is also at a 45 degree angle from the axes. At the end of this hallway, I have adjusted the surface yet another 45 degrees, so that it is parallel to the verticle axis.

I extrude from the altered surface another small 2x2 room. I save everything and enter the game.

I can walk around the room just fine, I can walk into the hallway just fine, I can walk into the small room just fine.. but when I turn around to walk out of the small room and hallway, back into the large room, I run into an invisible wall, but I can shoot through it and into the large room!

The "invisible wall" is not along any surface or sector cleave line, it is not along any extrusion line.. there is literally NOTHING on the map that would indicate that something is standing in the way. Coupled with the fact that I can shoot through the barrier, but I can't walk through it, I'm really confused.

I've tried rebuilding the same basic map 3 or 4 times now, but I'm stuck.

Help!
2001-08-20, 10:06 PM #2
sounds like your surface that you cant walk through is flagged to impassable, check that.

------------------
may the farce be with you.
may the farce be with you.
2001-08-20, 10:49 PM #3
I figured it out in the interim... I could go into the hallway and into the second room, but I couldn't get back out again. The hallway was just barely large enough for the character model to go into, and it was getting stuck on the way back out.

Like I said, I redid the same basic framework about 3 or 4 times, but I went back again, increased the width of the hallway, and viola, it works. Very strange indeed.

Build a basic 2W x 2L x ??H room, extrude one side to create a hallway, and then drag the hallway down so it comes off of the small room at a 45 degree angle and you should get the same effect I was getting.
2001-08-21, 11:43 AM #4
No thanks you, I'd rather not experience, your problem by making it, I've got enough problems getting things to work right for me not the other way around. ;-) -Jedi Red 2
"I don't Question Your Existence." -God
2001-08-21, 12:50 PM #5
just post a shot of the wireframe from a couple different angles with the problem area selected or highlighted and we'll be better able to see what you're talking about.

------------------
"the mouse is my chisel."
MotS mp:
Little House of Hazards
Surface Disposal Outpost
"the mouse is my chisel."
MotS mp:
Little House of Hazards
Surface Disposal Outpost

↑ Up to the top!