Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Sequels?!
Star Wars Sequels?!
2004-01-22, 1:56 AM #1
Well, here's snippits of some stuff from The Force.net.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We posted rumblings that Steven Spielberg might be involved in Star Wars post-Episode III and there must be something in the works, we got plenty of commentary. Then AICN posted the article about Pacific Digital and licensing agreements being extended, so many concluded that post-ROTJ films might be in the works. However, we also looked at our info from last year and believed we might finally have some proof of the initial report. We needed more.

We might finally have it. People we trust are telling us that there's a TV show on the design table. Instead of a Rogue Squadron series (which we first theorized some time ago), they may be looking at a post Episode 3 - pre Episode 4 about the rise of Darth Vader and why he is so feared in the OT.
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Tonight, Ahmed Best was being interviewed on a local radio station (96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City). I didn't hear the whole thing, but the dj asked Ahmet about Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Ahmet said he couldn't say anything about them. He didn't deny anything, just saying that he was under contract and couldn't talk about it. Don't know if it's newsworthy or not, but there you go.
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is Mark Hamill talking about the sequel trilogy:

"I knew they were going to be about other characters with a possiblity of my doing a cameo in the ninth one."
We called Lucasfilm, but Jeanie Cole in publicity left the company recently so we're working on who to speak with next to try to get a straight answer. And we're hearing about a wish list of directors, too. Including Steven Spielberg, who is also connected to Episode III in some specific way, believe it or not. </font>

------------------
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-01-22, 2:18 AM #2
Oh, please God, no. The Prequels are bad enough. The last thing I want to see is the Zahn trilogy turned to rubbish by a more "official" story line. Although, bringing Spielberg in might just redeem Star Wars in some way.

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-22, 2:24 AM #3
Everyone is cleary missing the obvious. They are gearing up to work on Indy IV, not the Star Wars sequels.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-22, 9:33 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
Everyone is clearing missing the obvious. They are gearing up to work on Indy IV, not the Star Wars sequels.

</font>

As long as there is no CG, I am all for it.

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)

2004-01-22, 9:42 AM #5
Sequels? George Lucas?
[http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rlcordes/hugepuke.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-22, 9:50 AM #6
nicely done Gothic

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-22, 10:27 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tsukasa:
As long as there is no CG, I am all for it.

</font>

Well, not none, but as long as he doesn't insist on having actors act on blue screen only sets, and gets someone else to direct them and cast the actors and . . .

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 10:39 AM #8
Lucas didn't do the casting...

Besides, I think the actors in AotC are great. If you watched any of the special features on the DVD's that showed the actual on screen performance of lines, the actors poured a lot more emotion into them. The acting got bad when they re-recorded the dialogue in the studio. It just, didn't have the same kind of emotion.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-01-22, 10:45 AM #9
They did the same thing for a lot of LotR, but it didn't lose it's effect

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 11:10 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Well, not none, but as long as he doesn't insist on having actors act on blue screen only sets, and gets someone else to direct them and cast the actors and . . .

</font>

He meant as long as there is no CG in Indy IV, in response to my post.

------------------
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-22, 12:37 PM #11
No... no.. no.. please.. no.. for the love of anything left holy.. no... *whimpers softly*

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-22, 12:51 PM #12
what is everyones problem with cg. actors train to react to things that aren't there. if they can't do things like that, then they should have gone into on-stage acting. Stop assuming that the actors hate blue/green screen acting.

The original, pre special edition(Pure as you geeks call it) trilogy used blue screen. You have to remember that younger people that were not alive in the 1970's expect better special effects. If you were to ask george lucas to only use 1970's technology, how would you justify the looseing of many younger people as well as getting reviews for being cheap just to make the geeks happy? I doubt you would be able to do it.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-01-22, 12:54 PM #13
also, they are george lucas' movies, he can do whatever the hell he wants to do with them. He does not care if what he does contradicts the EU. He also said that he wrote nine stories in the begining anyway.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-01-22, 12:56 PM #14
That's not true! That's impossible!

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-01-22, 2:17 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
That's not true! That's impossible!

</font>

George Lucas: I am the father of Star Wars!

I personally do not want Star Wars sequels. As I said before, no one can replace Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Ann Fisher as their respectable characters.

Now about the CG part, people don't like it when CG is used just so it can be the main attraction in a movie. One reason why people like the original Trilogy so much is because of the character and rememorable dialoge.
2004-01-22, 2:22 PM #16
What's bad about CG is that it doesn't look better than 70's effects. It's good for ships, and cities and such. but it makes horrible characters. Costumes and puppets looked better. CG just makes it look like a disney movie.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-22, 2:23 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
also, they are george lucas' movies, he can do whatever the hell he wants to do with them. He does not care if what he does contradicts the EU. He also said that he wrote nine stories in the begining anyway.

</font>

They may be his movies, but it doesn't mean I have to like them.

The CG ruins the movies, simply put. He overuses it to the extent where there is more 3d than real life footage. It looses the real-life touch. If he didn't 'spam' it so much, it wouldn't be bad. LOTR had very good use of CG.

------------------

2004-01-22, 2:26 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
What's bad about CG is that it doesn't look better than 70's effects. It's good for ships, and cities and such. but it makes horrible characters. Costumes and puppets looked better. CG just makes it look like a disney movie.</font>

I thought Gollum looked pretty darn good...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-22, 2:56 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
He does not care if what he does contradicts the EU. He also said that he wrote nine stories in the begining anyway.

</font>

Not true. He has made sure that certain aspects of the prequels conform to whats been determined by the EU. For example, 'Coruscant' is an EU name; Timothy Zahn came up with it for the Thrawn Trilogy. Also, there is going to be an EU character in Episode III. Although they havent said which one, most people think it will be Garm Bel Iblis, since he was one of the original founders of the rebellion. Also, the Special Edition of the original trilogy has stuff from Shadows of the Empire... like the Asp droids.

In fact, he even wrote the forward to one of the EU novels, Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

------------------
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-22, 2:58 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
What's bad about CG is that it doesn't look better than 70's effects. It's good for ships, and cities and such. but it makes horrible characters. Costumes and puppets looked better. CG just makes it look like a disney movie.

</font>

Its ironic that you mention 'cities' because they used miniatures (or 'bigatures') for a lot of that stuff in the prequels, not CG.

------------------
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-22, 3:01 PM #21
I used to love the idea of Star Wars or Indy sequels...but now, eh.

If someone else was to direct/write SW sequels aside from Lucas it -could- be good if they return the series focus to having appealing characters and not just CG obsessing.

As for Indy....I'm sorry, but Ford is well into his 60's now and showing it, badly. He has lost the spark he used to have and now seems to be going through the motions to pick up pay cheques. I can't see anyone doing the role either....so... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-22, 3:02 PM #22
I don't see what everyone seems to have against the Star Wars prequels.

Episode II was as well made as Lord of the Rings, it just doesn't have the plot or storyline of the other Star Wars movies.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-22, 7:44 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Instead of a Rogue Squadron series (which we first theorized some time ago), they may be looking at a post Episode 3 - pre Episode 4 about the rise of Darth Vader and why he is so feared in the OT. </font>

I'm all for that. Only...why a TV show? Shouldn't we find out why he's so feared in Episode III?!

------------------
To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of reality, to see those who dwell behind. I was once a fool.
2004-01-22, 8:35 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedi Josh:
I'm all for that. Only...why a TV show? Shouldn't we find out why he's so feared in Episode III?!

</font>

We should've found out why the hell he was so feared in Episode 2... but no.. still a whiny pain in the *** there... :P Basically they want to do a TV show because they probably realized that the prequels didn't tell a story that's comprehensible, nor does it involve characters that are really likeable, aside from pre-established ones with a nostalgia factor (Yoda, Obi-wan, and the droids).

What I'd really like to see is the Thrawn series (I haven't personally read it but from what I hear its probably the only part of the EU that isn't crap) done in film form... although I can't imagine how you would have any lightsaber duels when the main adversary isn't a Jedi... (again, I haven't read the books so I dunno)

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-01-22, 8:47 PM #25
Gonk, you have to read the Thrawn trilogy, Go to the bookstore or library and get them and read them. You won't be disapointed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 9:09 PM #26
I enjoyed Shadows of the Empire more than the Thrawn trilogy. I really liked the idea of Vader and Xizor constantly stabbing each other in the back to win the Emperor's favor.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-01-22, 10:00 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
I thought Gollum looked pretty darn good...

</font>

He did. Let's just say LotR doesn't apply to this rule.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-22, 10:10 PM #28
Indeed. They WETA worked very hard to make him look as real as possible

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 12:10 AM #29
Gollum looked good, but he was still obviously CGI. I don't see that he looked any better than Jar Jar in episode 2 (excepting the natural 1.5 year improvement in technology).

Personally I don't see why everyone's whinging about the prequels. Every Star Wars has had awful bits. Such as anything on Tatooine (the most boring planet in existence). And each has good bits. Star Wars has never been high art, and it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be just like a 50s movie serial.

I enjoy the Star Wars movies for being exciting, and I disliked the LotR movies for being plodding and dull (especially the battles.) Minas Tirith looked fantastic, though. I don't see why one is being held above the other; both have good points (The prologue at the start of FotR, which actually had pacing, the way they changed JRR's story so that an emergency was actually an emergency rather than a "I'll be back in about 15 years. Be ready to leave IMMEDIATELY then. Or in six months. Whatever.") and both have bad points (such as the Pirates of the Caribbean esque army in RotK...)
2004-01-23, 1:56 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gonk:
What I'd really like to see is the Thrawn series (I haven't personally read it but from what I hear its probably the only part of the EU that isn't crap) done in film form... although I can't imagine how you would have any lightsaber duels when the main adversary isn't a Jedi... (again, I haven't read the books so I dunno)

</font>

I dont know if the Thrawn Trilogy could really work. One of the best parts of Star Wars is not knowing the story until the movie comes out. I think Gary Oldman would make a great Thrawn though.

------------------
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-23, 3:29 AM #31
If they make a sequel it should be called episode 12 or something to leave a gap so they can start on a "clean slate" with different characters... (I just woke up, don't stone me)

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-01-23, 5:45 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Axis:
If they make a sequel it should be called episode 12 or something to leave a gap so they can start on a "clean slate" with different characters... (I just woke up, don't stone me)

</font>

The sequels were always supposed to be about different characters anyways, I think.

------------------
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-23, 5:59 AM #33
The Thrawn Trilogy on film would really rock. The way Zahn wrote it was really cinematic, Lucas wouldnt have to mess with much at all.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-23, 6:50 AM #34
But you don't know the true power of messing up. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-23, 6:52 AM #35
I'd be quite partial to a naked Mara Jade.
omg MARA JADE DOES HOLLYWOOD!!!
All in favour???

All : AYE!!!

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-23, 10:45 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
I don't see what everyone seems to have against the Star Wars prequels.

Episode II was as well made as Lord of the Rings, it just doesn't have the plot or storyline of the other Star Wars movies.

</font>

I agree. They could patch up a few things though.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-23, 10:53 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
I disliked the LotR movies for being plodding and dull (especially the battles...</font>

BAN HIM! BAAAAAN HIM!!!

------------------
2004-01-23, 11:24 AM #38
For the most part LotR was very, very, slow. Painfully slow. Yes, big boom crash battles, yes, death... but otherwise, much of it was slow. Except Return of the King. That movie started slow, but had such a good climax it was insane. But I still think there could have been alot of crap cut out of LotR, or at least hastening some of the scenes. "But wait, there was already alot cut out like"... it's a movie, not a book. And I for one thought War and Peace went faster than that acursed trilogy. It was boring a great deal of the time.

But one shouldn't compare Lord of the Rings to Star Wars. One is fantasy, one is science fiction. It's comparing bows to bowcasters. Might as well compare The Last Samurai to Ghostbusters. Just doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, Star Wars isn't Star Wars without a Han Solo character man! In the prequels, the characters are all so stuffy! The OT was a used, worn in universe, a place where people lived. The prequels are just too dang clean, the characters are very prissy and cold, and the universe just feels fake, like it was just inhabited. The prequels were a house, but the OT was a home... just an odd way to feel I guess.

------------------
KDY-The Friendly Star Destroyer People
KDY-The Friendly Star Destroyer People
2004-01-23, 11:26 AM #39
If you think the movies plodded along, try reading the books. Some parts weer painfully slow.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 11:27 AM #40
Accept Lord of the Rings had a new fresh nice soundtrack, with actors that can act, GOOD special effects, and an awesome plot, with magnificent camera work and an extremley deticated director, and the budget for all three films was cheaper then three crappy SW films...other then that yea Episode II is the exact same as LotR.

Bottom line: How can you compare Jackson's masterpiece to Lucas's table scraps?

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited January 23, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV

↑ Up to the top!