Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Official "What's up with..." Thread.
The Official "What's up with..." Thread.
2004-01-22, 3:30 PM #1
Ok, this is the official "What's up with..." thread.
To start it off: What's up with not being able to delete our own posts now?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-22, 3:35 PM #2
I would imagine it has something to do with this.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-22, 3:36 PM #3
What's up with the lack of Kedri? Will he ever return?

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-22, 3:55 PM #4
What's up with people who mullets think look good?

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited January 22, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 3:57 PM #5
There is no point in disabling the deleting of people's own posts.

SO... Apparently someone closed their threads after the certain person got flamed or whatnot because the thread was bad. THAT IS A GOOD THING. One thing we need around here is LESS ****ING FLAMING. Now, people can't delete their posts after double posting and that sometimes becomes distracting in places like showcase threads. It doesn't make sense to disable it because that person was deleting his own threads after they turned bad, that is the ****ing stupidest thing i have ever heard. It's putting some people at a disatvantage when it wasn't a bad thing to start off with.

[/rant]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2004-01-22, 3:59 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
There is no point in disabling the deleting of people's own posts.

SO... Apparently someone closed their threads after the certain person got flamed or whatnot because the thread was bad. THAT IS A GOOD THING. One thing we need around here is LESS ****ING FLAMING. Now, people can't delete their posts after double posting and that sometimes becomes distracting in places like showcase threads. It doesn't make sense to disable it because that person was deleting his own threads after they turned bad, that is the ****ing stupidest thing i have ever heard. It's putting some people at a disatvantage when it wasn't a bad thing to start off with.

[/rant]

</font>

People just need to admit when they are wrong, instead of being cowardly and deleting their post. If you're going to start a debate, end it the right way.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-01-22, 4:02 PM #7
What's up with Rod-wan Deattrod being allowed to use the EC for so long before he was finally banned? What's up with that ban being removed soon after in the recent wipe of bans? What's up with said ban not being put back in place IMMEDIATELY to prevent that waste of genetic material from abusing the EC once more with his sad and pathetic cosplay crap? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-01-22, 4:02 PM #8
i completely disagree.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-01-22, 4:02 PM #9
Deleting your own thread is admitting you are wrong. If the point you made with your post is correct, then there is nothing to worry about. Even if that is not the case, being cowardly has nothing to do with it. It's being smart. Like i said. THE LAST THING WE NEED ON MASSASSI NOWDAYS IS MORE FLAMING. And that is the only thing that comes from the threads that the person deleted.

------------------
2004-01-22, 4:42 PM #10
Screw Kedri, what's up with Nebula? I've seen him post.. twice.. in my reign of terror here.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-22, 4:47 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> One thing we need around here is LESS ****ING FLAMING. </font>

AHAHHAHA THE IRONY! /me dies laughing.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-22, 4:48 PM #12
Why do you need to be able to delete a post?

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2004-01-22, 4:53 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Archimedes:
Why do you need to be able to delete a post?

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
Now, people can't delete their posts after double posting and that sometimes becomes distracting in places like showcase threads. It doesn't make sense to disable it because that person was deleting his own threads after they turned bad</font>

That's the only reason I can think of, I don't know how many times I've double posted and had to delete the second post.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-01-22, 4:54 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
Screw Kedri....
</font>

YOUR WORDS ARE POISON!!!

------------------
Official Staff of Massassi Temple:
-Chat Op
-Level Poster
-Forum Admin
-Level Comments Admin
-EC Admin

Moral to the Story: Don't Mess
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-22, 4:55 PM #15
I'm all for people being able to close their own threads...the boards do not support that yet. I do not, however, think people should have the ability to delete whole threads on a whim as I explained in that other thread.

As for double-posts....honestly...I have been on this forum since day one and never double posted in that time. How hard is it to click once?

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-22, 4:56 PM #16
Can't you just edit it with a [whoops]?

I mean, I agree, you have a valid point, but so does Jon`C.

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2004-01-22, 4:57 PM #17
You can't claim to have a reign of terror until you have at least a "moderator" tag under your name.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-22, 4:59 PM #18
I agree with Jeff. As such, I will now attempt a double post.

I fail. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

[This message has been edited by fourwood (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-22, 5:01 PM #19
....The double-posting excuse doesn't fly. Last I checked, Massassi has flood protection. In fact, when I submit this post I'm going to test it.

Pretty much the only way you can double-post is by hitting back and submitting it again after a minute.

Besides, when was the last time people actually deleted their own double posts? They just edit it with "whoops, double post", like deleting it will decrement their postcount or something silly like that.
2004-01-22, 5:01 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
Screw Kedri, what's up with Nebula? I've seen him post.. twice.. in my reign of terror here.

</font>

I know where NEb is! Actually, I don't, but I do. I see him occasionally on the server I play NWN on.

------------------
Guess what? Yep, that's right. No, no, really, it's right. Think it's wrong? You're right, it's wrong. Know why? 'Cause it is
Guess what? Yep, that's right. No, no, really, it's right. Think it's wrong? You're right, it's wrong. Know why? 'Cause it is
2004-01-22, 5:02 PM #21
Yeah, just like I said, flood protection. 30 second limit between posts.

Nice try though.
2004-01-22, 5:12 PM #22
I double posted once in 2001. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??/ [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-01-22, 5:26 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
....The double-posting excuse doesn't fly. Last I checked, Massassi has flood protection. In fact, when I submit this post I'm going to test it.

Pretty much the only way you can double-post is by hitting back and submitting it again after a minute.

Besides, when was the last time people actually deleted their own double posts? They just edit it with "whoops, double post", like deleting it will decrement their postcount or something silly like that.
</font>

Well, some people are on 56k. Sometimes, for some odd reason, when I was using that modem, a recent post would not appear. I have learned that, even if the post doesn't, appear, its there. The only way I could see it was if I disconnect and connect again. Some 56kers may run into that trouble and feel the need to submit again. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-22, 6:52 PM #24
Yeah. On an internet forum, being on dial-up is like being intoxicated, or mentally challenged somehow. Your reaction time is slow, and it takes a lot of work to have a conversation.
2004-01-22, 6:54 PM #25
..wierd...I'm on dialup too and it's never been an issue.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-22, 7:02 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
AHAHHAHA THE IRONY! /me dies laughing.

</font>

I dont get into arguements unless someone has offended me personally. You really shouldn't be one to point fingers.

------------------
2004-01-22, 7:07 PM #27
Awhile back, there was something screwy with the forums and they didn't respond, but if you hit refresh, it would double post, but that was a temporary thing.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 7:07 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
I'm all for people being able to close their own threads...the boards do not support that yet. I do not, however, think people should have the ability to delete whole threads on a whim as I explained in that other thread.

</font>

You contradicted yourself. You are for people being able to close their own threads, but are against people being able to delete 'whole threads'. What exactly is easier? Deleting your own thread through deleting your own thread-starting post, or using the function that does something actually worse by keeping the flaming comments on the board, but is not implimented on these forums? I would think you should be for something that makes your job easier.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-22, 7:14 PM #29
He said he's supporting closing of one's own thread. That's different than deletion.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-22, 7:15 PM #30
He said he wants them to be able to CLOSE them, not DELETE them. So the thread still remains, and there's not some post facto rewriting of history going on; admins can still see the thread if bannings need to happen, for instance.
2004-01-22, 7:16 PM #31
Yeah, i put my glasses on a fixed it.

------------------
2004-01-22, 7:17 PM #32
Exactly. A lot of crap can go down and then vanish, leaving the admins scraching their heads

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 7:17 PM #33
[edit - nevermind, as usual I take far too long writing a simple post and get beaten to the point by everyone else [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] ]

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-22, 7:19 PM #34
I feel kinda bad for Cazor ... I was talking to him on IM; he directed me to his post, to which I pointed out the very same thing three people have just pointed out and shoved down his throat xP

Anyways, if the products from the project from a year ago had actually been implemented, we wouldn't have this thread right now [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

...and I posted [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-01-22, 7:20 PM #35
Damnit, i need to stop posting after midnight without my glasses.

------------------
2004-01-22, 7:23 PM #36
Oh yeah, and Jeff: admins are exempt from the flood-control, so your test wouldn't have done anything xP (a little memory in the back of my head of a double-digited forum tells me so ...)

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-01-22, 7:27 PM #37
Yup Avenger, it essentially gives thread authors a power that even Admins don't really or shouldn't have and that's to be able to delete what a LOT of people have said without needing a single reason.

A topic could be discussed for 5-6 pages and then the original author can just make it not exist hence wiping out a hell of a lot of posts that aside from being possible 'ban evidence' may simply just contain posts that people put a lot of thought into writing. I've seen it done here before.

Now if thread deletion and post deletion were seperate things, that would be good [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] but that's something for later on down the track when the forum's are next overhauled.

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-23, 6:51 AM #38
Double posting doesn't happen when you press the button twice. (Because of flood control) It happens when either one of the reasons above occurs (56k don't see the message appearing, and somehow it doesn't stop you with the flood control), or sometimes it's just a plain old glitch.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-23, 7:41 AM #39
Why can't we just all get along and go back to the way things were before.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 8:02 AM #40
He's right. I remember days when we wouldn't worry about this kind of crap because we were all smart enough to know how to talk without sounding like an idiot and pissing off a lot of people.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.

↑ Up to the top!