Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Evanescence question
Evanescence question
2004-01-21, 11:45 AM #1
I bought Fallen a couple weeks ago, and am intrigued by the chant at the end of the album (in Whisper). Here it is, as best as I can tell.

Ternah Teesah Mahlay Feekoo
Ternah Teesah Paylay Fooloo

I spelled it like it sounds, so it's almost definately not the right spelling. Can anyone tell me which language it is and what it means?

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-21, 11:53 AM #2
Hm, what you heard and what I found don't really match

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The latin chant in the outro is "servatis a periculum; servatis a maleficum", translated to "Save yourselves from evil, Save yourselves from danger.".</font>

http://www.evboard.com/lyrics/Fallen/11.php

------------------
A short and easy search engine tutorial
A short and easy search engine tutorial
2004-01-21, 11:58 AM #3
When you know what it's supposed to say, you can definitely hear the Latin, though it's quite easy to hear what Yen posted.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-21, 12:01 PM #4
Yeah, that fits with the rest of the song. Thanks!

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-21, 12:03 PM #5
And My Immortal has a video now! Sweet!

Still waiting for My Last Breath...

------------------
-Laurence of Arabia
2004-01-21, 12:06 PM #6
Is the girl hot??? I just cant decide.

She's all pale and stuff.

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-21, 12:15 PM #7
yeah she's hot!

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-21, 3:43 PM #8
YES SHE IS HOT

------------------
landfish -Official Massasi Brute Squad Member.....ph34r meh
wraa!
7 of 14 in the council of 14
"im not close-minded. you're just wrong" -Bucky Katt "Get Fuzzy"
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-01-21, 3:47 PM #9
Ruthy, you're a Scottsman living in England, and you have a problem with pale women? Good luck buddy.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-21, 4:58 PM #10
LOL!!!!!

------------------
I am the god of dating! You will respect my authoritah!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-21, 5:00 PM #11
ewwww...

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-21, 5:00 PM #12
Why can't her "singing" (So that's what it's called now of days) be as good as her looks?

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-21, 5:15 PM #13
Well she can hit the notes, you must admit...
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2004-01-21, 6:20 PM #14
There are a lot worse out there than her.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-21, 6:32 PM #15
And I was able to make a kickbutt Batgirl nightmare music video outta her Bring me to life song. So yea, pretty cool.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-22, 2:50 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 7:
YES SHE IS HOT

</font>

I concure...

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-22, 5:22 AM #17
And now for the Evanescence-rant, brought to you by the FGRUnion of Moronity and Total Sanity Loss.

After thinking, I have just shortened myself for couple of words. Evanescence has good music, there's nothing wrong with Amy Lee's (sp?) voice, I think it is very strong and lovely aspect of Evanescence's music. But the male vocals... EWWW. 'Bring Me To Life' isn't musically really astounding and it definatly isn't a song what could represent the band...but anyways, the male lyrics ruin the song totally. It makes it sound like Linkin Park-crap for god's sake! And I dislike that sound, everytime I hear the male vocals, I want to shout: STFU BEACH.

And even though 'Going Under' doesn't have the male vocals, it still is a bad song to represent the power of the band. And 'My Immortal' definatly is a better way to represent Evanescence. And I really hope that the band will provide much better stuff, etc. Kinda like Nightwish.

But Nightwish is better. It's finnish. They make good music.

Anyways, old-school electronic music > * [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-22, 7:09 AM #18
Nightwish indeed rocks, especially life - and that is exactly where Evanescence stops being even slightly good. The music is often too fast, Amy doesn't hit the tones (Not by far), and the overall performance was plain poor. I went to 2 of their concerts (One on the Lowlands festival, one in the "Melkweg", in Amsterdam), and both sucked. A lot.

I love My immortal, but I seriously doubt if her voice is unedited. Tarja's voice (Nightwish) is unedited on Angels Fall First, Oceanborn, Wishmaster and Century Child, and her voice is plain beautiful.

Mind you, I'm not trying to insult Evanescence here, i just think it's a shame that her voice needs so much editing before it actually sounds good.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-22, 7:34 AM #19
I happen to like both Linkin Park and Amy's voice very much. Is there anyone who feels the same way and can give me their oppinion of 12 Stones?

------------------
-Laurence of Arabia
2004-01-22, 7:19 PM #20
Yeah! Evanescence is the poor man's Nightwish!

[jumps on the bandwagon]

Eh, I think they're OK. Better than most of the crap on the radio (i.e. I can stand them and won't change the channel if they're on unless Layla is on another channel or something).
2004-01-22, 7:26 PM #21
I've never seen Evanesance live so I can't attest to their live show, but I know that what you hear at a big festival vs. a smaller venue show are going to be a lot different.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 10:31 PM #22
That's why I went to both.

(Actually, I went to the smaller venue first, because a friend of mine gt VIP tickets. I went to LowLands because Nightwish gave a concert there, too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

------------------

2004-01-23, 1:33 AM #23
I'm really sick and tired of people insulting Linkin Park for the hell of it... I listen to them all the time and personally I don't understand why people hate them so much?

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 1:34 AM #24
Got to a concert of them, MechWarrior. You'll understand then.

------------------

2004-01-23, 9:40 AM #25
They suck in concert.... SO?

That is right at the lamest reason ever.

If you were a major musician, performing before a couple hundred screaming fans, wouldn't it make you just a LITTLE nervous? Wouldn't you not sound as good as you could?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy them sucking live as a good reason to hate them all out.

I do, however, agree with you that they aren't as good live. So do all of my friends. But I do NOT hate them for it.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-01-23, 9:44 AM #26
Disliking a band because they don't sound good live is a wonderful reason to not like them. Anyone can sound great after the studios doctor songs, but only great musicians sound good live.

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-23, 9:45 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gothicX:
That's why I went to both.

(Actually, I went to the smaller venue first, because a friend of mine gt VIP tickets. I went to LowLands because Nightwish gave a concert there, too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

</font>

Well, there you go [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 9:46 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Disliking a band because they don't sound good live is a wonderful reason to not like them. Anyone can sound great after the studios doctor songs, but only great musicians sound good live.

</font>

*coughcoughJean-MichelJarrecoughcoughcough*

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-23, 9:50 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:

</font>

Agreed, but it doesn't mean you have to stop liking the recorded music. They may not be great musicians but they still produce a product that people like.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-01-23, 9:56 AM #30
The only thing I don't understand about Evanescence is why Amy Lee sounds like crap literally whenever she performs live... Her voice is perfect on the cd, and she has incredible vocal range... But when she sings live, she never hits the right notes (that I've heard, and I've seen live performances of her 4 or 5 times).

That said, I think they're one of my favorite non-Christian bands, and Amy Lee is definately very hot.

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-01-23, 10:01 AM #31
Her voice might be edited in the studio.

------------------
Quote:
2004-01-23, 10:03 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Agreed, but it doesn't mean you have to stop liking the recorded music. They may not be great musicians but they still produce a product that people like.</font>

I don't dislike them because they sound bad live, I dislike them because the voices of both singers make me consider thrusting a rusty ice pick through my temples.

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-23, 10:18 AM #33
The male vocals on Bring Me to Life were guest vocals and don't appear in any of the other songs [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 10:22 AM #34
I like Evanescence, personally and I don't care if the songs are edited.

------------------
"Life is like a network of roads, you keep on running till you hit a dead end."
2004-01-23, 10:23 AM #35
Me too their my favorite band!

------------------
Quote:
2004-01-23, 11:49 AM #36
Did it ever occur to anyone that the artists that perform their songs flawlessly each and every time might be lipsyncing? I like when there are imperfections when someone sings. It tells me they are being real and it just adds a little something. Evanescence "sucks" in concert, but I like it. In one of All-American Rejects songs the guys voice cracks a few times. The people who completely disregard a band because they hit a note wrong once or twice in concert(especially a new band) need to realize they would do worse and they need lives.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
2004-01-23, 11:53 AM #37
I also hope people realize that songs on CD's aren't one shot deals. A band performs a song several times and the mixer splices the best parts together. There's flaws in a song everytime they sing it.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
2004-01-23, 12:52 PM #38
This is why Maynard James Keenan is my favorite singer/vocalist ever. I saw an old Perfect Circle concert on TV not long ago, and he sounded exactly the way he did on the album Mer de Noms, save for a few variations, which prove that he wasn't lipsyncing.

------------------
"They came to sieze and take whatever they please,
Then all they gave back was death and disease."
~Darkness, Rage Against the Machine
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-01-23, 1:30 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
The people who completely disregard a band because they hit a note wrong once or twice in concert(especially a new band) need to realize they would do worse and they need lives.</font>

I like Evanescence's CD, but, seriously now, Amy doesn't "hit a wrong note once or twice."

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-23, 3:23 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Did it ever occur to anyone that the artists that perform their songs flawlessly each and every time might be lipsyncing? I like when there are imperfections when someone sings. It tells me they are being real and it just adds a little something. Evanescence "sucks" in concert, but I like it. In one of All-American Rejects songs the guys voice cracks a few times. The people who completely disregard a band because they hit a note wrong once or twice in concert(especially a new band) need to realize they would do worse and they need lives.</font>

There's a large difference between imperfections that ruin a performance, and performing a song live with a little character. By the sound of it, Evanescence definitely fall into the former category.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited January 23, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!