Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What second language(s) have you studied, and why?
What second language(s) have you studied, and why?
2004-01-23, 4:01 PM #1
I'm currently taking Spanish, simply because it was the only language that fit my schedule at the time.
2004-01-23, 4:04 PM #2
French, because stupid Quebec hasn't separated yet. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-01-23, 4:07 PM #3
Japanese, because I want to move to Japan eventually.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-23, 4:09 PM #4
Yo decidí estudiar el idioma que la mayor de personas llaman "español." En la escuela secundaria, yo tuve que estudiar uno idioma, y español fue el más fácil.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited January 23, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-23, 4:10 PM #5
spanish because...with presidents like the one we have now...we will one day be a minority

------------------
Look, Listen, Learn, Live and Lay waste
2004-01-23, 4:13 PM #6
Spanish because it's all my school offers. (lame school...)

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-01-23, 4:18 PM #7
German, because it's cool.
DAS IST NICHT SO GUT!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-23, 4:25 PM #8
Latin, because I'm good at it.

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-23, 4:25 PM #9
french because i was bored... i know like 3 words... and never the same words...

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-23, 4:26 PM #10
Spanish, because my mom and dad made me, but it was help ful when I played on a soccer team with 3 or 4 other people who spoke English.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 4:29 PM #11
Okay, I saw this thread, and I had a really weird deja vu experience... you know, where it's like deja vu but you remember having deja vu about the experience previously? Like double deja vu? Yeah... its weird.

I studied French.

------------------
Death to all who oppose me!
Stuff
2004-01-23, 4:29 PM #12
they made you...howd that work? u dont get a choice?

------------------
2004-01-23, 4:30 PM #13
I was in first grade when I started taking Spanish. I couldn't really say no at the time.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 4:35 PM #14
Latin, because I'm really bad at learning other languages, and this one is pretty easy (for me)

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-23, 4:37 PM #15
French its manditory in Canada... plus its cool.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 4:41 PM #16
German. I muchly dislike Spanish and French, and Latin is just silly. And German rocks.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-23, 4:41 PM #17
German.
Because I took French for a few years and couldn't see myself wanting to learn that.
Took Spanish for 6 years, hated it and learned nothing.
So, it was either German or Latin, and I'd already been to Germany once. So, German it was!

Ich liebe es.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-01-23, 4:42 PM #18
French, because my mother and sister took it, and later, because it was easier for me to finish with what I was already familiar with, sucking as was in foreign languages.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-23, 4:48 PM #19
I studied French for a couple of years, no real reason.

------------------
cybrid is "destroy"
2004-01-23, 5:00 PM #20
Italian!
Because.... I just did

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-01-23, 5:00 PM #21
im in spanish 2 in school and i taught myself swedish.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-01-23, 5:19 PM #22
I studied French, because I lived in France for 3 years [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-23, 5:19 PM #23
German, because it is better than French and SPanish and my crappy school dosent offer latin.

------------------
AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-01-23, 5:46 PM #24
I'm studying french again. After three years break or so. Previous 3 semestres were devoted to Russian. And then 4 years of hs went to German, and one semestre to latin but that didn't work out so well because the teacher was incompetant and got fired for not doing their job..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-01-23, 5:56 PM #25
Spanish, because my grandfather is from Cuba and bacause my mom is a spanish teacher.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-01-23, 6:02 PM #26
English, for practical reasons.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-23, 6:05 PM #27
Spanish, thought it would be fun.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-01-23, 6:18 PM #28
Japanese. Because i'm interested in Japanese culture (no not so much anime) and I plan on going there eventualy.
2004-01-23, 6:38 PM #29
Perl.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-23, 6:44 PM #30
Spanish. Why not? I've been to Spain several times and where I work I have spanish-speakers come in every once in a while and so if this other guy's not there I'm tasked to them.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-23, 6:45 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm studying french again. After three years break or so. Previous 3 semestres were devoted to Russian. And then 4 years of hs went to German, and one semestre to latin but that didn't work out so well because the teacher was incompetant and got fired for not doing their job..

</font>

Interesting.. my latin teacher is like that.. and so is my friend's.. and so is Madquack/Fishstickz's..

A conspiracy? Perhaps..

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-23, 8:09 PM #32
I think it's interesting (read: amusing) how so many of these replies say things like "I learned (language) because (language2) sucks and (language) rocks."

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-23, 8:26 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
I think it's interesting (read: amusing) how so many of these replies say things like "I learned (language) because (language2) sucks and (language) rocks."

</font>

I learned english because french sucks. I was disapointed to find english sucks even more [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-23, 11:16 PM #34
Errmm...

Let's see, take your pick:
Finnish
Swedish
English
French
German
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-01-23, 11:31 PM #35
French and German and soon Japanese, because my school forces it on to me.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-24, 12:01 AM #36
Latin, German, English, French, a tiny bit of Spanish.. and Dutch. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-24, 12:26 AM #37
Arabic and French. The latter because it was offered, and it's a cool language, the former for reasons I can't explain right now.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-01-24, 12:27 AM #38
Latin, because now I can:

a) insult people without them knowing what I'm saying
b) say anything without them correcting my atrocious Latin.
2004-01-24, 12:41 AM #39
Been learning Spanish for 3 years, because it's the 3rd most widely spoken language, and both my mother and sister know a bit.

I'm starting to learn German now, because I feel strangely drawn to it.

------------------
"They came to sieze and take whatever they please,
Then all they gave back was death and disease."
~Darkness, Rage Against the Machine
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-01-24, 1:02 AM #40
I forgot French, so it's just English

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore

↑ Up to the top!