Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What second language(s) have you studied, and why?
What second language(s) have you studied, and why?
2004-01-24, 1:09 AM #41
English. My teritary language was French.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-01-24, 1:32 AM #42
French because it was compulsory when I entered High School (although it changed this year, I believe). I also learned some German, but I've forgotten all that, so just French.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-01-24, 2:01 AM #43
French of course

Too woo all the loverly french laydees.

and of course theres German, Arabic, and erm, elvish, to erm, woo the Elves? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-24, 3:05 AM #44
English & French

------------------
"Hass, alkoss, gyarapíts: s a haza fényre derûl!"

-Kölcsey Ferenc

[This message has been edited by Terra111 (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 5:57 AM #45
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
Arabic and French. The latter because it was offered, and it's a cool language, the former for reasons I can't explain right now.</font>

Consensus.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-01-24, 6:03 AM #46
French, because I'm an idiot.
Spanish is so much easier... I stopped French after 4 years of highschool. One of the girls in my suite is currently taking Spanish, French, and Russian, and is planning to add a new language each year of college.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-24, 6:35 AM #47
French, because I hate Spanish and I hear the Latin teacher was really tough, and French was all that was left that they offered. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I really would rather learn German or Russian or something...

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-01-24, 6:47 AM #48
french, coz its canada [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
urdu, its the language spoken in pakistan (i was born n raised there till 8)
arabic, coz of my religion
chinese, starting to on my own. i have yet to learn to read adn write it. i can only say nonsense phrases [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] like 'have you seen the little chickens'

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]

[This message has been edited by Wolvie17 (edited January 24, 2004).]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-01-24, 6:50 AM #49
I've been doing French since very early on in school. I did spanish for about 4 years. (but dropped it for my a levels)
I also did german for 2 years.

(i live in england btw)

------------------
Rah!
/fluffle
2004-01-24, 6:51 AM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
...the former for reasons I can't explain right now.</font>

Terrorist![/b]

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-24, 7:56 AM #51
German. Because I was told it was the easiest class out of the three languages they have at my school. (French, Spanish, German)

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-01-24, 8:28 AM #52
Spanish. With a name like Ramos I'm sure you can guess. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

While my father doesn't know Spanish well, my Grandmother was born in Puerto Rico, and it was her first language. All of my Aunts know (as far as I know) Spanish, and I've got tons of cousins and stuff, so I just figured that if I had to take a second language in HS (mandatory), I should choose Spanish. Plus France is dastardly- a country to very fun and easy to hate and make fun of :-D. I might have considered taking German if my school offered it, because it's also part of my heritage (mother's side), and it's just a cool language. In what other language can you make legitimate words that can extend more than a line of a page [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-01-24, 8:37 AM #53
I studied Spanish in high school because I live in Florida and I thought it might be useful. However, I had horrible teachers at the time and learned next to nothing. I'm considering taking Arabic now in college.
2004-01-24, 5:27 PM #54
I learned some French in school, and I study Hebrew and German on the side.

------------------
I have become Death, destroyer of newbs.
Statavad-Gita 8:14
:master::master::master:
2004-01-24, 9:07 PM #55
ASL, because the only other choices were French and Spanish.

I'd take German in a flash, if it was available.

------------------
Restless 2

Sanctum de la Mort
2004-01-24, 9:54 PM #56
French and German

French: It was 1/3 languages offered. Spanish was the other option as was German. I didn't want to be like all the rest of the lackies and take Spanish and German at the time was not appealing. Alors, j'ai choisi la langue française. It studied it for about 5 years. I still suck at it (although make an attempt). [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

German: Pretty much the same reason behind French. Although looking retrospectivly, I should have studied the remaining year of H.S. in Spanish. It would have been quite easy since both languages have a common root (Latin).

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-01-25, 10:20 AM #57
Latin because I knew I'd have a career in the sciences one day.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">French, because stupid Quebec hasn't separated yet.</font>

ROFLMAO!!!!!

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.

[This message has been edited by Darth Evad (edited January 25, 2004).]
2004-01-25, 10:56 AM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clan ruthervain:
French of course

Too woo all the loverly french laydees.
</font>

*cough* they dont shave there armpits *cough*

Yo hablo espanol. ?hablas tu'?

(yah i'm not good with the extra characters)

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-01-25, 3:37 PM #59
French because the school made me, Latin because the school made me.

I don't really mind them, I just probably wouldn't have taken them if I was not compelled to. I'd like to continue Latin, as I really didn't go too in-depth.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-01-25, 5:40 PM #60
Quenya, Because one day someone will have to bridge the gap between LotR fan-peoples and real world people. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.
2004-01-25, 6:51 PM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the former for reasons I can't explain right now.</font>

We know what you're implying...terrorist!
2004-01-25, 6:54 PM #62
Let's see...

English
Swedish
German

and Finnish but it's my main language so [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-25, 7:53 PM #63
...HTML

------------------
To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels

↑ Up to the top!