Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who here thinks it would be cool... *Mature-ish warning*
Who here thinks it would be cool... *Mature-ish warning*
2004-01-22, 11:45 AM #1
To play an MMORPG-type of GTA? C'mon, imagine hundreds of people, stealing murdering and having fun! You could make gangs, set up drug deals, have gang wars. Think about the endless possibilities. The perfect MMORPG already made as a game!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-22, 11:50 AM #2
FFXI: Vice City?

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-22, 11:50 AM #3
Umm.. no.

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-01-22, 11:52 AM #4
That would indeed be awsome.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-22, 11:54 AM #5
Well my idea was sorta geared more towards the gang-clan aspect where you could own a building in the all-expansive city for a price per month (in the game). Then you would spawn/live there, and well...it's complex, but the basics are that you spend money on building an empire, but try not to die. If you die, your empire goes down, you start over from scratch, yatta etc. Smaller gangs could band together to bring you down, and you could climb the ladder of your gang till you were leader. Sounds cool to me at least. :/

*EDIT* Thx JK. For a minute there I felt pretty lonely [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited January 22, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-01-22, 12:00 PM #6
Sounds interesting. That new Bloodlines game (the vampire one) is going to be sort of like that

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 12:02 PM #7
God that game sounds awesome (Bloodlines)

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-22, 12:06 PM #8
Well, I've always wanted to see a game where it was so open-ended that a police force might end up being formed to keep crimes down to a minimum and that kind of thing..i dunno, it'd be interesting.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-22, 12:28 PM #9
Hmm...but do you think online people are capable of forming groups?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-22, 12:31 PM #10
*looks around*

No

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 12:34 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Hmm...but do you think online people are capable of forming groups?

</font>

Actually, you'd be suprised. Look at SWG for example, the guild I'm in right now, has ~110 people in it, and over 85 people in our city, its pretty amazing how people get together to form guilds/cities in MMORPGs, based on a small common interest

------------------
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-22, 12:35 PM #12
Actually, there is a multiplayer patch for bot GTA and GTA:VC. PC Version only of course, but it's cool.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-22, 1:04 PM #13
Sound pretty cool to me, i would play it, (as long as i didn't have do that pay-to-play crap)

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-22, 1:30 PM #14
I wouldn't mind a pay-to-play that would support the servers, seeing as how it's mostly made for the game, but 20 bucks a month is ridiculous. That's like 5:1 profit:needs ratio there. 2-5 bucks would be fine for it, as long as you could pay per 1, 3, 6, and 12 month period.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-22, 1:36 PM #15
i had an idea that is kinda like that...

only instead of one city it was multiple cities in other words... small to medium sized towns/cities with maybe one or 2 larger cities separated by alot of road and desert and stuff... try to think of mad max and you could get a slight idea of the setting

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-22, 1:50 PM #16
Bloodlines looks like it could be pretty decent-- assuming they'[d make some mind-boggling break from gaming trends and recognise that not /all/ females have ridiculously enormous mostly exposed breasts.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-01-22, 2:07 PM #17
There's already a GTA Online being planned I believed with the premises of gang groups like you guys said.
2004-01-22, 2:18 PM #18
Wot wot wooooooooot?! GOOGLE TIME!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-22, 2:20 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
Bloodlines looks like it could be pretty decent-- assuming they'[d make some mind-boggling break from gaming trends and recognise that not /all/ females have ridiculously enormous mostly exposed breasts.

</font>

Yeah? And not all men are muscular and heroic, but nobody is going to waste their time playing a "Sit around eating potato chips" simulator, are they?
2004-01-22, 2:32 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Hmm...but do you think online people are capable of forming groups?</font>

Guess you've never played a MMORPG, but in everyone I've ever even seen there are many 'groups' of up to 1000 players on each server. My old Asheron's Call monarchy had 120 members, and we were considered small.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited January 22, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-22, 2:32 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:

</font>

Actually, dor, the whole premise of V:TM is erotic vampires.. I mean, have you ever seen a picture of an ugly vampire? No, you see them in latex or leather outfits with huge swords/guns in erotic positions

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-22, 2:34 PM #22
Yeah i'm not denying that Jon`C. Male models in games tend to annoy me as well, because their biceps take up half the screen and i usually can't see over their codpiece.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

And fishy, if i ever play Bloodlines, i would try very hard to make an ugly vampire just because of that [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Preferrably with a mullet, and plaid and paisley clothing..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited January 22, 2004).]
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-01-22, 2:35 PM #23
Very small. For a time I was in Meginjarder, and that has something in the area of 10,000.
2004-01-22, 2:38 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
Very small. For a time I was in Meginjarder, and that has something in the area of 10,000.</font>

Yeah but that's 95% rank mules [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-22, 2:51 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
Yeah? And not all men are muscular and heroic, but nobody is going to waste their time playing a "Sit around eating potato chips" simulator, are they?</font>

that'd be quite hard you know, timing your standing and cheering at your winning team, and then going back to sitting again

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-22, 4:37 PM #26
How about an Elder Scrolls: Morrowind MMORPG?
2004-01-22, 5:48 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
How about an Elder Scrolls: Morrowind MMORPG?</font>

YES

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-01-22, 6:35 PM #28
or maybe something like Sea Dogs in MMORPG form.... somehow a MMORPG with a pirate setting sounds awsome

------------------
wang is within all
2004-01-22, 7:04 PM #29
That would be cool

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 7:29 PM #30
Gordon Freeman was the geekiest hero ever.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-22, 7:30 PM #31
Wha? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 8:07 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Gordon Freeman was the geekiest hero ever.

</font>

i saw this post and somehow this popped into my head

"this awkward moment when your post is off topic will last forever"

probably because i was listening to the Misfits cover of This Magic Moment at the time

------------------
wang is within all
2004-01-22, 8:21 PM #33
Antestarr has talked about a similar idea to me that I think would not only be very cool, but be commercially viable too -- a game set in a modern real-world era. Perhaps something akin to GTA, or Counter-Strike... who knows? Point is, there aren't many modern-world games, much less MMORPGs out there, to my knowledge at least. I personally think that's why I liked FPSs like Goldeneye and Half-Life (though FarCry isn't attracting my attention for some reason. I think it's the tropical island look...).

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-22, 10:15 PM #34
This isn't a bad idea so much as a redundant one.

People already kill, steal, plunder, and make complete asses of themselves in these online games as-is, but it's only fun for them if they're set in a world that doesn't want them to do it.

If you give them a place to plunder it'll get old fast simply because people don't care.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-23, 12:45 AM #35
Well, unless you can be hired as a policeman.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-23, 1:37 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Actually, dor, the whole premise of V:TM is erotic vampires.. I mean, have you ever seen a picture of an ugly vampire? No, you see them in latex or leather outfits with huge swords/guns in erotic positions

</font>

Thats because one of a vampires primary weapons is the art of seduction. I mean honestly if a drop dead (ignore the pun) beautiful woman came up to you and started kissing your neck you'ed be so doped up on sexual feelings you'ed have no idea she was about suck you dry.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 2:03 AM #37
The GTA2 gang-system was brilliant, one which I muchly preferred to the GTA3 story-line system.
Whether it'd work as a MMORPG? I dunno..
The whole 'dieing' aspect is a problem in MMORPGs. If dieing gives a huge punishment, everyone will be too scared to try anything remotely risky, and if there's no punishment everyone will go on suicide missions. To me, the latter doesn't sound so bad, for a GTA-style MMORPG. Of course there'd be advantages of staying alive, but I think it'd be cool if players could act as suicide bombers to attack other gangs. I'd like that.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-01-23, 8:20 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
you'ed be so doped up on sexual feelings you'ed have no idea she was about suck you dry.

</font>

ermmm......yeah I would. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
I am the god of dating! You will respect my authoritah!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited January 23, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-23, 8:31 AM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
The GTA2 gang-system was brilliant, one which I muchly preferred to the GTA3 story-line system.
Whether it'd work as a MMORPG? I dunno..
The whole 'dieing' aspect is a problem in MMORPGs. If dieing gives a huge punishment, everyone will be too scared to try anything remotely risky, and if there's no punishment everyone will go on suicide missions. To me, the latter doesn't sound so bad, for a GTA-style MMORPG. Of course there'd be advantages of staying alive, but I think it'd be cool if players could act as suicide bombers to attack other gangs. I'd like that.
</font>

Lol...this isn't the middle east. Real gangs don't really use suicide bombers...If they want to attack another gang they use guns.
2004-01-23, 8:37 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Thats because one of a vampires primary weapons is the art of seduction. I mean honestly if a drop dead (ignore the pun) beautiful woman came up to you and started kissing your neck you'ed be so doped up on sexual feelings you'ed have no idea she was about suck you dry.</font>

Nosferatu are horribly disfigured, rumored to have been cursed by Caine for defacing a statue or painting of him.

Now, the only vampires that would truly care about something as discreet as seduction would be the Camarilla, who wish to maintain the Masquerade. The Sabbat, however, couldn't give two ****s about the Masquerade. They'll drink you dry and leave you dead in an alley if they think they won't suffer the consequences. Brujah and Gangrel, though the Gangrel are no longer Camarilla, would probably be the only ones in the Camarilla to rarely, if ever, use seduction.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!