Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Age difference
Age difference
2004-01-27, 9:07 AM #41
As Conan O'Brien says "Gotta get me a piece of that hot young *** "

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-27, 11:47 AM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:

I acutally laughed when I read Fox's reply cause I thought the same thing.

I did the same thing to her in her "need vibes for tomorrow thread"

She wanted our vibes for her driving, and her typing looked like a fourth grader. Sorry, but its true.

</font>

here let me take a knife and pick at your self esteem because of every little thing you do badly

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-01-27, 11:55 AM #43
I once dated a 17 yr old when I was 21-22....yeah, that didn't go well. It was like trying to speak a different language as she turned out to be nowhere near as mature as I thought.

I'd tread very carefully....unless you are dead certain she is uncommonly emotionally mature for her age it could end badly.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-27, 1:48 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Firefox:
Her fingers slip every time she spells "post", "wrong", and countless other words incorrectly?
</font>

Just quit and back off my sister's spelling problems. Its not like she wants to spell badly, her brain can't process it. And bashing her every time she misspells something is not going to help. so quit it.

And as for the topic at hand, I personally would date someone who is 5 years older and 3 years younger at this point in my life. I'm 21 and i don't really want to date anyone younger than 18 because of the maturity factor, for one thing.

------------------
"The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't. I'll leave you hanging there for the moment, and let you age while the shadows don't lengthen, if you see what I mean." ~~Steven Brust
"The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't. I'll leave you hanging there for the moment, and let you age while the shadows don't lengthen, if you see what I mean." ~~Steven Brust
2004-01-27, 2:15 PM #45
Spork, I was woke up this morning, and happaned to catch the end of a dicussion on 3AW... A pyshologist was a guest star, and someone phoned in to talk about their 22 year old son having a sexual relationship with a 16 year old girl. I thought it was weird I was listening to it the morning after I read this thread, maybe it was you (considering geographical location), but then how many people are in Melbourne? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Personally, I think this shows immaturity on the parents behalf... phoning a radio station and publically broadcasting their son's personal life, and only looking at it from the Christian perspective. To be frank, there's worse things in this world than sex, but that's irrelevant.

It's right if you, and her feel right about it. Simple as that. It's not right if other people are okay with it, and on the same token, who cares if people look down at it. It's not their life! You've got to work it out if you have a problem with it, however. You're asking the question, so obviously you are thinking about it. Do you think it's wrong? Maybe you should sit down and talk to her about it... the people that know the situation best is herself and you.

There really isn't a set age difference that is alright. It depends largely on the people involved... you'll work it out. I don't believe it's morally wrong, however, so don't beat yourself down thinking that way.
2004-01-27, 2:53 PM #46
LOL, no that wasnt me, Buu, kinda ironic though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolvie17:
well i know you to not be a dumb girl crazy boy, spork. so if you really dig this girl i think shes not some immature little twit (better not be :P dont let me down buddy). if she's a mature girl who can handle bein with you and not make you feel like youre babysitting her, its worth pursueing. but i think you need to get to know her a lot better (spend time with her as friends, and like someone said, get in good with her parents). because usually if you just meet someone, its still a little odd to ask them out. on top of that if youre 6 years older its odd x 2, so give it a little time, so the just-met oddness thing is way over. i hope that helps. the highschool-college thing happens a lot btw, but generally its a trend where the girl is stupid and foolish and thinks the college ugy is mature, where as he just thinks he's got an easy lay, so you hvae to be very careful with how you portray yourself and how you are with her.</font>

That helped a lot, thanks Wolvie. See the thing is I am not totally sure I am not just attracted to her physically, and that's it. I've always thought she was really cute since the first shift we worked together, but never really thought of doing anything about it ("she's too young") till yesterday. You know how it is when you find someone physically attractive, if you get to know them a little better your first opnion of them will always be a little skewed.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-28, 8:01 AM #47
Funny how 22-16 can be wrong, but 32-26 is fine...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-28, 8:02 AM #48
Technically legal.
2004-01-28, 8:06 AM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Funny how 22-16 can be wrong, but 32-26 is fine...

</font>

Not really

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 8:14 AM #50
It's because a 32- and 26-year-old would be pretty much on the same emotional, mental, and social maturity levels.

You try, at age 22, of maintaining an intelligent conversation about matters important to you with a 16-year-old girl, and see how well that goes.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-28, 8:39 AM #51
The magnitute of age gaps definitely decreases with age. there's really no real gap for, say, 40-55.

However, in your case, the gap of 16-22 is magnified by the fact that you are the older one, and she is the younger one. Legally, it is safer to have the age/gender sets the other way around, as nobody would really think anything morally wrong of a 16 year-old boy with a 22 year-old woman. I wouldn't reccomend getting any more serious than you are now for quite a while, at least until you can question the relationship, and get satisfactory answers. It could save you from a goodly deal of regret (and potential damage to your reputation) later on.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-01-28, 8:44 AM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:
...nobody would really think anything morally wrong of a 16 year-old boy with a 22 year-old woman...</font>

I could. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-28, 8:45 AM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And bashing her every time she misspells something is not going to help.</font>

To be fair, this is the first time I have seriously called upon her spelling. I apologize if she has a mental condition prohibiting proper spelling.

-Fox
2004-01-28, 9:22 AM #54
Pretty pathetic to go on complaining about spelling, I find it ridiculous and childish. Few mispellings there and there, but there hasn't been any point in my Massassianity when I haven't been able to understand Elana14's text.

Case closed.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan

[This message has been edited by FastGamerr (edited January 28, 2004).]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-28, 9:35 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Go adn die please.</font>

Nice edit.

-Fox
2004-01-28, 9:38 AM #56
Indeed. That was rather immature from me, and I admit it. Sorry.

..meh.

------------------
2004-01-28, 9:44 AM #57
WHO DA **** CARES?

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-28, 9:45 AM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
WHO DA **** CARES?

</font>

...Someone.

------------------
2004-01-28, 12:03 PM #59
Spork, these are my two cents:

If you feel it is wrong, don't do it. In fact, I don't even think you are totally into her(in the sense that you want a intimate relationship). If a guy sees a girl he likes, no amount of reasoning or "conscience" can change his mind. Maybe you are looking for a valid excuse to express that you just aren't into her? Maybe you just like her as a person and your getting that feeling mixed up with actually being attracted to someone. Even you said that is was a mental attraction, not physical. And don't feel bad to reject her. Every teenager can do with getting knocked down a few pegs, whither intentional or not. And about the age issue, the difference is a bit to large. Then again, Australian culture may be different than American culture. Besides, you should go for the 20 year old chicks. You'll both be on the same level.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited January 28, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-28, 12:16 PM #60
Most definitely not. I was 22 and started hitting on this girl who was 17 (of course I didn't know she was 17 at the time) - even though she was turning 18 in a matter of months, it just got to me how young she was and how young she acted. Sure she was hot, but she just wasn't there yet.

On the other hand, I'm 26 now and my girlfriend is 31 so that's a 5 year difference. When they get over 21 it doesn't seem as messed up I guess.

16 is way too young, and illegal as well. I warn you to stay away, but of course people never listen anyway :P
2004-01-28, 12:19 PM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
16 is way too young, and illegal as well.</font>

It's legal in Sporkaussieland.

------------------
2004-01-28, 12:31 PM #62
Speaking from the age group in question... I think i could have a pretty good opinion...

Now, being 16, I know that 16 year olds aren't as "unexperienced" as you all might think. There have been some very good points made, (For instance, "if it feels wrong, don't do it" and also that as you get older the age problem seems to disappear.)

One thing that a lot of people don't realize (and i'm not pointing fingers) is that some people under the age of 18 may very well have more experience than people over 18.

Also, being a Canadian, I can say that the "age of consent" as stated is 18.

Now then... Spork, in your situation, The age difference might freak out her parents a little bit, so as people have already said, make sure they REALLY like you, because then they'll see past the age difference too.

As you put it it seems "morally wrong" to think of someone younger than you in this way. You shouldn't feel bad for how you feel, but "if it feels wrong, don't do it."

I would suggest you let your friendship grow, and then if a few years down the road you two decide to bring it up a notch, then good luck to you both.

And just to mention, I know plenty of girls my age who date older men (to my GREAT disappointment, as most of them I ended up liking.. heh.)

------------------
Fragment Thoughts consume my vision.
No-one knows what it's like to be the bad man,
to be the sad man Behind Blue Eyes.

- The Who
2004-01-28, 1:43 PM #63
fragment, this has nothing to do with experiance. It's about stages of mental and emotional development.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-28, 2:01 PM #64
I meant legally, not emotionally, and just the way people take age difference (aside from maturity).

------------------
2004-01-28, 2:11 PM #65
I also did mean mentally and emotionally. Maybe it's just my friends and I but I'd say we're pretty mature for our age... Not to say we don't enjoy the odd Teenage obnoxiousness at some points... And to respond to what you said Emon, ("and just the way people take age difference [aside from maturity]) Your absolutely right. One thing that really bothers me about some of the adults in my area is that they don't understand that people my age can be mature and responsible (or whatever else they suspect us of NOT being.)

I hate it when an adult talks to you and they sound so condescending... it really bothers me... I've been talked to that way a few times and I tell them straight out not to talk to me like I'm a baby... but that's not the point.

My point is that when it calls for it, we can be more mature than we're given credit for.

and as for the legal issues, I think it was stated somewhere on the first page that as long as it doesn't get serious before the younger one is of "age of consent", then legalities shouldn't really bother them much.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fragment (edited January 28, 2004).]

- The Who
2004-01-28, 2:14 PM #66
Ya see, thats the problem, you think you're mature enough. But you really aren't. You havent experienced life yet, you don't know what its like. As mature as you think you are, the only way to truly mature is to live life and experience all it has to offer

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-28, 2:18 PM #67
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Every teenager can do with getting knocked down a few pegs, whither intentional or not.
</font>

Just to say what I forgot to in my last post... I'm sorry Kieran, but you obviously had a good teenage life.. because not "every teenager can do with getting knocked down a few pegs". Yea, I don't know your age but I'm gonna guess by you writing that your not a teenager anymore. Teenage life is hard for a lot of people, and as much as I agree with you in the sense that Spock shouldn't feel bad if he rejects her, I do not appreciate the comment you made afterwards.

That's just my opinion on it.

------------------

- The Who
2004-01-28, 2:22 PM #68
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Ya see, thats the problem, you think you're mature enough. But you really aren't. You havent experienced life yet, you don't know what its like. As mature as you think you are, the only way to truly mature is to live life and experience all it has to offer

</font>

I agree with you, I'm just saying that we're more mature than we're given credit for, if you read the last part of my post... Yes, we're not as mature as people who have "experienced life", that just means our maturity will grow as we get older. We're still more mature than people will ever give us credit for.

And might I suggest that we get back to the point of this post, which was originally to give advice to Spock...? :P

------------------

[This message has been edited by fragment (edited January 28, 2004).]

- The Who
2004-01-28, 2:24 PM #69
fragment, every teenager thinks they are mature but in reality many of them aren't. I thought was when I was sixteen, but close to six years later, I look back at some of the things I did and the way I acted and wonder what the hell I was thinking. It becomes a lot more obvious as you get older.

Where a preson is in their life at 22 and 16 drastically different. Still in high school vs. finsihing college is a huge, huge difference.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 2:29 PM #70
Firstly, we have concluded that it is legal! That little chestnut has been put to bed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Secondly, Kieran, I like your advice:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Spork, these are my two cents:

If you feel it is wrong, don't do it. In fact, I don't even think you are totally into her(in the sense that you want a intimate relationship). If a guy sees a girl he likes, no amount of reasoning or "conscience" can change his mind. Maybe you are looking for a valid excuse to express that you just aren't into her? Maybe you just like her as a person and your getting that feeling mixed up with actually being attracted to someone. Even you said that is was a mental attraction, not physical. And don't feel bad to reject her. Every teenager can do with getting knocked down a few pegs, whither intentional or not. And about the age issue, the difference is a bit to large. Then again, Australian culture may be different than American culture. Besides, you should go for the 20 year old chicks. You'll both be on the same level.
</font>

But, I said completely the opposite [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
I am [very] attracted to her physically, maybe so much that I am convincing myself I like her mentally. You know what I mean?

There is a temptation to employ the 'Pagewizard approach', but I'm not really a use-and-lose kinda guy when it comes to chicks. And besides, I know from past experience those relationships dont work too well when it comes to workmates.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-28, 2:32 PM #71
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
fragment, every teenager thinks they are mature but in reality many of them aren't. I thought was when I was sixteen, but close to six years later, I look back at some of the things I did and the way I acted and wonder what the hell I was thinking. It becomes a lot more obvious as you get older.

Where a preson is in their life at 22 and 16 drastically different. Still in high school vs. finsihing college is a huge, huge difference.

</font>

I'm not trying to disagree. Maybe I'm just talking from a bias stand point, because I DO agree that some people my age are just idiots... and I'll admit at some times I'm also the most immature person you'll probably meet. But does it not make sense that being a teenager is the stage between immaturity and maturity? We're moving out of the childish stuff and into the adult world, of course we're not going to seem mature at all. I've been told I'm very mature for my age, and so have most of my friends.. Maybe i'm just stereotyping teenagers all-together... which ironically is strange because I hate stereotypes.

I also agree that lives are different at 22 and 16, which is why I said they should let their friendship grow and decide later whether or not to let it grow into a loving relationship.

------------------

- The Who
2004-01-28, 2:41 PM #72
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fragment:
And might I suggest that we get back to the point of this post, which was originally to give advice to Spock...? :P</font>

Die.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-28, 2:55 PM #73
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Die.

</font>

Spock, Spork... with a 15 inch screen and 1024 x 768, plus the fact that i'm far away, be happy I didn't think your name was Spam!

Sorry for the mistake though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------

- The Who
2004-01-28, 2:57 PM #74
In that case may I amend my advice for you to "Live long and prosper!". It both applies and is now humorous.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!