Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → gates to be knighted
gates to be knighted
2004-01-27, 12:59 AM #1
save us

hopefully the queen will slip when shes doing the "knighting" bit.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website

[This message has been edited by James Bond (edited January 27, 2004).]
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-01-27, 1:42 AM #2
backwards ] in the tag
and, WHY OH WHY?

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-27, 2:05 AM #3
And this weeks sign of the apocolips is...

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-27, 2:10 AM #4
*Shakes head*

I really don't think Bill Gates is that bad a a guy.....but knighted?

*sigh*

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-27, 2:26 AM #5
Good for him.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-27, 3:16 AM #6
...why do you all say hes such a bad guy, he gives computers to the poor, helps upstart new technology in developing countries, and gives BILLIONS of dollars a year to charaties

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-27, 3:20 AM #7
Yeah, he's not my favourite bloke, he is however (and this is the reason for his knighthood I understand) a great benefactor [is that the right word?] - using some of his squillions of moneys for good things!

But Sir Bill does seem to sound a little silly [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-01-27, 3:49 AM #8
Maybe he'll be knighted as Sir William.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-27, 4:07 AM #9
He deserves it, even though it's not much to brag about these days...

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.rot13.com" TARGET=_blank>Wnav "Xebxb" Ghbzvara
w_ghbzvara@yhhxxh.pbz</A>
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-01-27, 4:27 AM #10
Actually wolfy, we cant call him sir, because hes not a citizen of England

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-27, 4:30 AM #11
He steals from the middle class and gives to the rich and the poor.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-27, 6:35 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
...why do you all say hes such a bad guy, he gives computers to the poor, helps upstart new technology in developing countries, and gives BILLIONS of dollars a year to charaties

</font>

Do you know WHY he gives billions to the poor an dot charities? Because it gives him a huge tax brake. Not saying it's bad that he does it, just that he's not doing it for the right reasons, making him Mistah Scrooooooge.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-27, 6:36 AM #13
I sense GBK..

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-27, 6:39 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
Do you know WHY he gives billions to the poor an dot charities? Because it gives him a huge tax brake. Not saying it's bad that he does it, just that he's not doing it for the right reasons, making him Mistah Scrooooooge.

</font>

With his amount of wealth... why should he worry about taxes?
2004-01-27, 6:58 AM #15
Yeah, I remember Gates saying in an interview how he donates for tax breaks...[sarcasm]

Unless you know him personally, then you really have no validity in this claim. Sure it fits if you stereotype him as this big bad individual always looking for an alternative motive...
2004-01-27, 7:04 AM #16
Anybody who hates Bill Gates just because he's Bill Gates and his name is directly associated with a product that they are "forced" to use is just ignorant. The man is a genius. His business tactics are amazing. What he did was incredible. Watch "Pirates of Silicon Valley", and you'll see from Hollywood's perspective how he started in a garage and now is the Chairman of the Board (too important to be President or CEO) of the LARGEST AND MOST POWERFUL SOFTWARE COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

I doubt you'd b!tch so much if you were in his position, or in his pocket.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-27, 7:36 AM #17
Wonder how much he had to pay the queen [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Give to the poor? Hello, he gives away most of it in the form of MICROSOFT SOFTWARE that of course has to be upgraded within two years. He also never gave anything away till he got married and his wife forced him to. I also don't think it's right to steal from people and put companies out of business using unfair and illegal business practices. Look at the number of people he put out of business and compare that to the number of people he's "helped" by giving away free copies of windows/office (and of course locking them into upgrade contracts that they have to pay for in the near future).

Also look at the billions these people have to spend on -more- software just to be able to use the stuff that was donated. Not only does Microsoft get billions each year from government contracts (thus, costing taxpayers once), but also the government spends billions each time a stupid outlook virus spreads across the net (thus costing taxpayers twice), and of course, the zillions in upgrade costs (wow, is that three times now?).

The problem with this knighthood thing is that people focus on the few "good" things he's done, and somehow wipe away everything bad. Which would be completely fine if he had stopped doing all the bad stuff, but of course, he hasn't.
2004-01-27, 7:42 AM #18
But Brian, look at any software. Most products, if you want to upgrade to a better edition, it's going to cost you money.

Since Gate's product is so plentiful though, the damage is a lot more.

I can see on some issues, but I feel this is a weak issue. If you want upgrades, it's going to cost you. And with software, its known that its lifespan isn't more than a couple of years.

2004-01-27, 8:06 AM #19
I have to admit it's well deserved - he went from a little kid reading the Financial Times to a twenty-something card shark and then became one of the world's most successful businessmen - what with all the charity stuff... my only issue was with this whole American thing... I didn't think they could get knighted here (although I remember Jack Ryan does in Tom Clancy's Patriot Games!) [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] Whatever, well done Bill.

------------------
"So... Graham Andrew Rutland [Gee_4ce]... well, it says here that Graham and Andrew mean... strong and manly!" - My girl Naomi whilst consulting a big book of names...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-01-27, 8:59 AM #20
Brian - sources?

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-27, 9:11 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
But Brian, look at any software. Most products, if you want to upgrade to a better edition, it's going to cost you money....</font>

Hell no. I can get the latest version of a hundred thousand *very good* software packages, for free, legitimately. How? Its called Open Source, baby, and its the future.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-27, 10:32 AM #22
Are you suggesting a "Sir Linus" is in order?

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-27, 10:34 AM #23
Please. GBK would go further than that [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 12:15 PM #24
I don't see why Linus shouldn't be knighted. Offering free, usable, and very in-depth software, and a platform on which freeware lives. He would be if the government used it. I still don't see why you guys ostracize GBK for stating the facts half the time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] And I know he does it overzealously sometims; that's what it TAKES to get it through peoples HEADS sometimes. But yah, this is BS, and Wolfy says "Sources" but half the time you just remember tidbits from news articles hither and thither. Are you going to go searching through obscure news databases?

[Edit]I'm not singling out any one person, nor am I pointing fingers. Those who do it know who they are, ahem.
------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited January 27, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-01-27, 12:22 PM #25
Sources? www.google.com and you'll find thousands. Look at all the anti-trust lawsuits that they've lost, all the copyright infringement, patent infringement cases (like the latest with the "plugin" technology). They're one of the most unethical, cutthroat companies in the world.

Demon, you're not getting it. They're "giving away" software to charity and treating it as if it's some tangible item. They're taking so much in tax breaks even though it costs them 3cents per cd that they're giving away, and they're saying that they're giving away billions in "value." But they don't tell the fact, this "billions" in value cost them mere hundreds of dollars and will turn into billions in profits in two years when they are forced to upgrade for no apparent reason.
2004-01-27, 12:27 PM #26
Would you actually mind finding those sources?

------------------
2004-01-27, 12:37 PM #27
Wolfy, can you honestly say you have never heard of any of that stuff ?? I swear if you need sources to find that belivable you have been living in a cave foir the last few years.

------------------
AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-01-27, 2:29 PM #28
Gates became a philanthropist after his mother died from cancer, not because his wife forced him to.

Additionally, nearly two thirds of his donations go toward improving health, so the claim that he mostly donates software is also wrong.
2004-01-27, 2:37 PM #29
Agrath - sources? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-01-27, 2:46 PM #30
its kindof silly, but personally I think he deserves it a heck of a lot more than elton john did

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-01-27, 2:53 PM #31
Bill Gates, philanthropist.

Your evidence?

------------------
2004-01-27, 3:44 PM #32
I think he deserves it, he really accomplished a lot, and really changed computers as we know them to be.

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-01-27, 3:50 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matrixhacker:
I think he deserves it, he really accomplished a lot, and really changed computers as we know them to be. </font>

If by 'accomplished alot' and 'changed computers as we know them', you mean 'stole the source from the original Mac OS' and 'strongarmed everone else out of the buisness', then yes. He does deserve it.

------------------
2004-01-27, 4:08 PM #34
The guy is a really good buisnessman. You all don't have to purchase Windows or any other type of Microsoft product. You call can buy Macs or download the latest version of Linux (happy GBK?). Don't think that it is all Microsoft's fault too. If only Apple would wake up and realize that Intel/AMD architecture is where it's at instead of what...Motorola's procs? and stop spending resources on trying to make their cases look fancy and flashy, they might have some market share back.

Linux isn't exactly user friendly. And with the type of people that call me at work (our help desk), oh God no. Do NOT give them Linux.

Yes, I am aware of Microsoft's rather..brute force business practices. So far, no one's risen to the occasion to create an OS to compete with Windows. Microsoft isn't indestructable.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-01-28, 2:32 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
its kindof silly, but personally I think he deserves it a heck of a lot more than elton john did

</font>

Elton John knighted? How and why? Is it because of his close relationship with Princess Diana.
2004-01-28, 2:38 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:

</font>

I wanna be knighted..

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-28, 2:53 PM #37
I'm not gonna take sides on any of this, because while I think bill gates is a brilliant man, I'd be very hesitant to pay $400+ CAD for a copy of Windows XP....

But HONESTLY... can we not just Leave the poor guy alone? He doesn't need to be criticized for every little thing he does, wrong OR right.

------------------
Fragment Thoughts consume my vision.
No-one knows what it's like to be the bad man,
to be the sad man Behind Blue Eyes.

- The Who
2004-01-28, 3:05 PM #38
It'll always happen, especially here. While some of it is sarcastic, I think some people have gone a step or two further and actually hate the man.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 3:06 PM #39
Why do people still give crap about the queen anyways? If I was to be knighted, I probably wouldn't even show up - unless there were somekind of monetary compensation as well.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-29, 12:46 AM #40
I've been asking the same question as Flexor, and I'd really like the answer...

And you ever-loving Microsft oddballs are living in caves. The kind of market domination that Microsoft has is bad. There is no way it can be anything but bad. So accept it.

------------------
Cynic (sin'ik) n. One of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who held that virtue is the ultimate goal of life, their doctrine gradually coming to symbolize insolent self-righteousness.

Drink So-Be, and play longer!
Cynic (sin'ik) n. One of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who held that virtue is the ultimate goal of life, their doctrine gradually coming to symbolize insolent self-righteousness.

Drink So-Be, and play longer!

↑ Up to the top!