Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3
Doom 3
2004-01-27, 4:11 PM #1
Anticipations, Comments, Flames?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-27, 4:12 PM #2
I just hope it has co-op. That was one of the things I loved most about the first two DooMs.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-27, 4:12 PM #3
It'll be forever before it comes out.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 4:20 PM #4
Old newz... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-01-27, 4:23 PM #5
Meh. Far Cry looks almost as good indoors, and outdoors it looks way better than Doom 3.

That's the problem with creating an amazing graphics engine and then delaying it so long. It won't be able to compare with other popular games by the time it finally comes out.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------@%

The Matrix: Unplugged

I'm a C4D b****!
2004-01-27, 4:40 PM #6
Yep. I'm no longer impressed by Doom 3 or HL2, graphics-wise. They missed the boat.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-27, 4:53 PM #7
Well, Doom 3 graphics look nice. But the enemies are questionable. Evil fat people? Demon babies?

------------------
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-27, 4:56 PM #8
Uh...welcome to 1993. That's doom.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-27, 5:01 PM #9
I know [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-27, 5:21 PM #10
I can remember drooling over the first released Doom3 screenshots. I never drooled over any HL2 screenshots....

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-27, 5:24 PM #11
Coinidentally, I just, with this post, passed up MikeC in post counts. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-01-27, 5:53 PM #12
Although Doom III may not look as shiny as Half Life 2 or Far Cry, I believe it's engine lifetime will be considerably longer than those of other engines. Why do I say this? For a number of reasons. First, lets look at Carmack's track record. Many, many games use licenced versions of the quake engines. When Quake III first came out, it didn't look nearly as good as the quake III based games do today. Half Life 2 has all those fancy features thrown in from the start: Havok physics, DirectX 9 shaders, deformable terrain, and pretty much every bell and wistle out there. Doom III, on the other hand, seems to have a much simpler and elegant foundation. Instead of focusing on features and eye candy, it is geared toward stable tech that is used globally. For example, everything in Doom III has a bump map. everything is run through the per pixel lighting system. Advanced features can be implimented later, just like what happened with Quake III. Think of Half Life 2 like Windows: a shaky foundation with a wealth of features. Think of Doom III like Linux: Sparse, but is armed with an integrity to build on.

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources
Mystic0 Forum
The Massassi Post Count Summary(link works now)
2004-01-27, 6:26 PM #13
HalfLife 2 > Doom 3 > Far Cry. Nuff said

------------------
Co-Team Leader
Lead Sound Editor
Voice Actor
of Attack of the Clones TC or AOTCTC

AOTCTC|Clone Wars
Co-Team Leader
Lead Sound Editor
Voice Actor
of Attack of the Clones TC or AOTCTC

AOTCTC|Clone Wars
2004-01-27, 6:29 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AOTCTC_DarkLord60:
Doom 3 > HalfLife 2 > Far Cry. Nuff said

</font>

Fixed.

------------------
Mystic0 Forum
2004-01-27, 6:42 PM #15
HL and Far Cry make me go "that looks cool"

Doom 3 makes me want to have sex with it

Doom 3 looks like a game i will definately love to play... the other look mor elike something i would love to look at more than play

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-27, 6:46 PM #16
I disagree.

Id really love to play HL2. Id really dont care to play Doom3.

------------------
2004-01-27, 6:49 PM #17
I'm a little worried about my Radeon 9800 pro 128mb working well with Doom III. For example, Doom III is an openGL game. The GeforceFX line is designed for OpenGL and the Radeon 9x00 line is more designed for DirectX 9. I've even head rumors that the alpha ran faster on a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 than a Radeon 9700 Pro. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Mystic0 Forum
2004-01-27, 6:56 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
I disagree.

Id really love to play HL2. Id really dont care to play Doom3.

</font>

GBK, for me, I want to play all those games. I just think Doom III will have the best tech in the long run.

------------------
Mystic0 Forum
2004-01-27, 7:54 PM #19
After Valve's lies and Doom3's setbacks, both have dropped considerably on my list. Also, we're forgetting one other game that, in my opinion, destroys all the others.

For me, it's:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost > Far Cry > Half-Life 2 > Doom3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has the terrain capabilities of Far Cry, the dynamic lighting and bump mapping of Doom3, the physics of Half-Life, and it's an FPS/RPG. Every single thing I've wanted in a game.

------------------
"Why did all the dinosaurs have to die?"
"Because you touch yourself at night."
"Why did all the dinosaurs have to die?"
"Because you touch yourself at night."
2004-01-27, 8:23 PM #20
What I find humorous about most comments regarding Doom3 is that they aren't much impressed with the graphics any more. Whats funny about that is that Doom3 was designed with atmosphere in mind, not simply graphics.

Whether or not that goal has been reached in the time spent working on Doom3 is still a mystery. But I for one certainly hope so.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-01-27, 8:42 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
GBK, for me, I want to play all those games. I just think Doom III will have the best tech in the long run.</font>

Yes, Im sure many great games will be build off of the Doom3 engine, and I have no doubt it will steal Quake3's roll as the dominant 3d engine... However, Doom3 itself, the game itself, I realy have no desire to play. Problably because I never cared for the style, or maybe because I really, *really* hate dark games.

------------------
2004-01-27, 8:50 PM #22
Doom 3? Half-Life 2? Far Cry? Pfft, Duke Nukem Forever is going to beat all of these games.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-01-27, 8:51 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
Doom 3? Half-Life 2? Far Cry? Pfft, Duke Nukem Forever is going to beat all of these games.

</font>

yeah... it wil... *cries*

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-27, 8:54 PM #24
If it ever comes out.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 10:05 PM #25
I don't really know - judging by Carmack's statements on D3 gameplay, I'm looking forward more to HL2, which has showed some spectacular ingame footage gameplay-wise. However, Doom3 has an editor that's very similar to GTK (Or may even be supported by GTK). So yeah, I don't really know. I'll just go and grab both.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-28, 12:41 AM #26
Carmack has been re-making the same game for a decade. I have a lot of respect for his engine designing, but he's never been a gameplay guru. I will give him credit for putting in more effort for Doom 3's gameplay than his previous efforts but yeah....

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-28, 12:53 AM #27
I think carmack will make a really, really good engine, and the game will scare the bajeezus out of you, but It won't play all that well. HL2 should play really well, but if they arent careful, they're really gonna miss the boat (They called for a big september 2003 release, everyone got all excited, but then the setbacks came, and we arent gonna see it til MAYBE this summer)

I dont know which Im going to buy... maybe niehter, but probally HL2

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-28, 1:05 AM #28
If they ever get released. That's the problem...

------------------

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-01-28, 1:08 AM #29
Quote:
I'm a little worried about my Radeon 9800 pro 128mb working well with Doom III. For example, Doom III is an openGL game. The GeforceFX line is designed for OpenGL and the Radeon 9x00 line is more designed for DirectX 9. I've even head rumors that the alpha ran faster on a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 than a Radeon 9700 Pro. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

</font>

That's EXACTLY, and I do mean EXACTLY true. My friends, one with Ti4200 and one with 9700 pro played it, and the Ti4200 beared around 15 fps lowest, 9700 pro 5 lowest. But that was an ALPHA man. You can't judge the full retail game like that. I heard that the QuakeCon2k4 had it, and that people were playing it. They had BEASTLY machines, and yet it was still getting 30 fps 640x480, which I think they shoulda bumpd it up to 800x600. 640x480's too dependent on the processor. But yah, Doom3 looks graphically more pleasing than Far Cry and/or Half-Life 2, sorry to say. And it's got its history behind it, meaning Quake 3. I mean c'mon, even Call of Duty used the Q3 engine, and that game is so sexy I...shouldn't say what I did. I just hope my poor Ti4400 fares decent.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-28, 1:21 AM #30
Mind you: QuakeCon2k4 was an MP demonstration.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-28, 1:27 AM #31
Good point...and I don't think its gold as far as optimization. But I guess we'll see [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-28, 1:31 AM #32
I think Doom 3 looks horrible. They are wasteing the engine! I mean those skulls...are octagons....And everything looks "shiney" or like its been covered in plastic. I never was interested in this...I'm still not interested :P Half-Life 2 all the way be-hotch!!!

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-28, 3:59 AM #33
I think it's a genuine competition. Which will be released first - Half-Life 2, DooM3, or Duke Nukem Forever?

At the rate things are going, my money's on Team Fortress 2.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-28, 4:32 AM #34
The problem is that John Carmack is developing Doom III soley for Nvidia cards, not ATI cards. Which means he will be using only OpenGL.

------------------
Mystic0 Forum
2004-01-28, 6:54 AM #35
I don't know about you, but in most games on my system, OpenGL runs better on my ATi card than DirectX. I'll be having sex with DooMIII as soon as it comes out. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-28, 7:31 AM #36
Quote:
The problem is that John Carmack is developing Doom III soley for Nvidia cards, not ATI cards. Which means he will be using only OpenGL.</font>

What the hell is wrong with OpenGL? More chance of seeing a Linux port!

------------------
2004-01-28, 7:42 AM #37
Quote:
The problem is that John Carmack is developing Doom III soley for Nvidia cards, not ATI cards. Which means he will be using only OpenGL.

</font>

Thats not true... He had to make a specific codepath just to get decent performance out of it. ATI's cards will just run it using the default path.

I'm quoting The 'mack himself.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Unfortunately, it will probably be representative of most DX9 games. Doom has a custom back end that uses the lower precisions on the GF-FX, but when you run it with standard fragment programs just like ATI, it is a lot slower. The precision doesn't really matter to Doom, but that won't be a reasonable option in future games designed around DX9 level hardware as a minimum spec.</font>

I can even run Doom III on my crappy Radeon 9200se (which only has a 64bit memory pipeline!) at about 10-20fps. This was on the alpha too... I mean... 0_o.

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited January 28, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-01-28, 7:44 AM #38
Quote:

</font>

Your Radeon 9800 pros fine. I got one too, and it hits 80 fps constantly with an ease in the doom 3 alpha.

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-01-28, 7:48 AM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
I think Doom 3 looks horrible. They are wasteing the engine! I mean those skulls...are octagons....And everything looks "shiney" or like its been covered in plastic. I never was interested in this...I'm still not interested :P Half-Life 2 all the way be-hotch!!!

</font>

eh? Have you seen doom3 in motion? If not, you should check out the e3 trailers. Trust me, you won't be noticing any rough edges.

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-01-28, 7:51 AM #40
A lot of people also like to bash games they once thought were the greatest. They like going, "Oohh, Doom III, NOT SO TOUGH NOW HAHA!!" ...which I find kind of immature and just silly. As Farix mentioned, it was about atmosphere. And for the record, I don't find Far Cry to have better graphics. A rival at best. The characters in Doom III look a whole lot more real (and just cooler, I mean I can see pores and other things, Far Cry's are total plastic dolls), and the lighting model is unified and not buggy...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited January 28, 2004).]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!