Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3
Doom 3
2004-01-28, 8:19 AM #41
As far as the engine goes, I know that the games that people like Raven will make with it will blow everything else away... Even the actual game's use of the engine is impressive. Lighting will be finally fully realistic (even if it won't be as fine yet), and the physics are likely to be a good as HL2; It will be to traditional (UT2k3, etc.) "ragdoll" physics what "ragdoll" was to raycasting physics.

As far as the game itself, I would like to remind you that John Carmack is possibly the brightest mathmetician of our time. This also means that designing good gameplay isn't his forte. That is largely left up to Tim Willits, whom I consider to be decent, though his creativity skill is far less than what Id had with Tom Hall and John Romero. As a result, I think that the game, while not being terribly deep, will be thriller on a par with the absolute best. From what I've gathered, DooM3 will be the opposite of Quake III Arena: DooM3 will be primarily single-player, with equivalent cooperative multiplay. Competitive multiplaying will probably be at a minimum; it may very well support all of the commun types of play, it will probably come with but a handful of maps. I think the reason behind this is that multiplayer level design takes away from the focus on the level itself. This is evident in many levels, although there are some commercial maps that are rather good (such as UT2k3's Antalus).

As for my opinion, HL2 will be the most fun in multiplayer. D3 will blow everything away for staying up late at night alone. I'll probably get both of 'em, but D3 first, unless they take too long.

Where performance is concerned, D3 is likely to be well optimised. 60fps will be a possibility for those who'll settle for 640x480, with only an ATI "PRO" card, and not their "XT" cards, or merely a GeForce "TI", and not an "ULTRA". My current estimates for the MINIMUM to run it, probably getting 20fps at 640x480x32bb:

Pentium 4 : 2000Mhz
Athlon XP : 1800Mhz
Win 9x : 256MB RAM
Win NT/XP : 512MB RAM
Modem : 128Kbps MINIMUM*
3D Card : 128MB Minimum**

*John Carmack last stated that he was not likely to enable internet play via dial-up, because too much would have to be cut to fit packet data into even an optimal 52k connection, and broadband would be required.

**Since Doom3 uses OpenGL instead of D3D, There'd be no requirement, such as needing a DX8 card to play anything with pixel or vertex shaders.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-01-28, 8:24 AM #42
Errm... You'll still need a video card that suports vertex and pixel shaders.

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-01-28, 9:03 AM #43
What Sol said. Even if it doesn't use Direct3D, Direct3D 8/9 support is still a very good metric for the hardware the game needs, because the API's functionality is strictly standardized and doesn't rely upon extensions.

Generally, Direct3D 9 support just means the card can do ps2.0. We know that second-gen Direct3D 8 (and Direct3D 8.1) cards will be able to play Doom 3, so it's a reasonable assumption that the minimum we're looking at will be ps1.3

Also,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">probably getting 20fps at 640x480x32bb</font>

I got a higher framerate than that while running the ATI leak on my 1.6 GHz Athlon XP. Knowing John Carmack, the game has been optimized a great deal since then. I'm not too worried about performance.

I also remember the Intel leak of Quake 3 years ago, running it on my Voodoo 2 and pulling 3 frames per second, then playing the official demo 6 months later and pulling a solid 40.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited January 28, 2004).]
2004-01-28, 9:04 AM #44
I'm gettin a new computer and all of the games comin out that I can possibly get, HL2, D3 and DNF. However, there's one thing I MUST say..

Counter-Strike 2.
2004-01-28, 9:10 AM #45
Dude, Doom 3 doesn't even have a "use"-button, according to Carmack. Go figure.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-28, 9:12 AM #46
Most of the computer consoles can be used. With your mouse.

It looks like it'll be a really really really good game. Even if the monsters look hilarious.
2004-01-28, 9:16 AM #47
a "use" button isn't that important, anyways, there is supposed to be some new interface for when you approach a panel or in any case that you might even need a "use" button

------------------
landfish -Official Massasi Brute Squad Member.....ph34r meh
wraa!
7 of 14 in the council of 14
"im not close-minded. you're just wrong" -Bucky Katt "Get Fuzzy"
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-01-28, 9:23 AM #48
Carmack said most events would be scripted, and not interactive at QuakeCon.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-28, 11:45 AM #49
Hm, do you think I will be able to play Doom III at 1024 x 786 with 4x anti-aliasing and 8x anistropic filtering? Like at 40 FPS? Because ATI cards are known for being able to handle AA better.

• Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 800 MHz FSB
  • Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
  • 1 GB 400 MHz PC-3200 DDR SDRAM

Oh, and GBK, I remember reading that a Doom III linux port is planned but it will most likly be a long wait. And yes, OpenGL is a good thing for linux. I just am worried about my Radeon.

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources
Mystic0 Forum
The Massassi Post Count Summary(link works now)
2004-01-28, 11:47 AM #50
As it's supposed to be. Unfortunately, it won't be like System Shock 2 in that you can play it several times and still get scared, but the first time should be amazing.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-28, 3:50 PM #51
i love wolfy's little TF2 comment [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] ...

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-29, 1:37 AM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Hm, do you think I will be able to play Doom III at 1024 x 786 with 4x anti-aliasing and 8x anistropic filtering? Like at 40 FPS? Because ATI cards are known for being able to handle AA better.

• Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB

Oh, and GBK, I remember reading that a Doom III linux port is planned but it will most likly be a long wait. And yes, OpenGL is a good thing for linux. I just am worried about my Radeon.

[/b]</font>

Uh....No? From people who have gone to QuakeCon, 1, it was RUNNING on Linux machines, and 2, Carmack stated that it would indeed be out for Linux. So unless anyone can disprove this...yah. Doom 3 will probably run fairly well on any card, seeing as how nVidia runs OGL better, but ATi has better cards period. I wouldn't expect it to be truly optimized for any card save the 5950 ultra. It'll just be a helluva time with a 4 person multiplayer o_O. HL2 looks alright...but something tells me it's just not going to be as good as the first one. The team that made CS said they aren't going to make it again, and I don't blame them. I mean look at the community in CS! Far Cry is a new game that looks pretty, but isn't anywhere near on-par with depth and graphics and/or storyline of either Doom 3 or HL2. Remember--they only put in demos what they want you to see. Anyways, continue your jibba jabba. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-29, 1:48 AM #53
The "No CS for HL2" comment has given me a little respect for them, me being wildly opposed to CS.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-29, 6:15 AM #54
There's an even better game about to be realesed it's called BOOM 3
http://www.freewebs.com/boom3/ <- It's way cooler then "Doom 3" <- YUCK!

------------------
AOTCTC Team Member

Who wants to play
BOOM 3?
http://www.freewebs.com/boom3/
SHOLVAS KREE!
2004-01-29, 7:35 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:

• Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB

[/b]</font>

Don't worry man, your card will pwn Doom III. This might make you feel better:

My system (P4 2.6Ghz, 512MB 400Mhz PC3200 DDR, ATi Radeon 9200se 128MB), can play the ALPHA at about a steady 15-30fps @ 640x480 with everything on high (minus AA and AF). I think thats pretty good. Look up on how crappy my card is and you'll see why [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited January 29, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-01-29, 12:13 PM #56
Ouch Sol, I feel your pain. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]. Didn't try the alpha, though I'm considering it...bah.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-29, 12:17 PM #57
No new dx9 games get good frame rates with aa on. I learned that when I got halo. On a Radeon 9800, like .000000005 frames a second until i turned off aa, and it ran fine. And if doom 3 is anything like dx2, someone shoot me now.
2004-01-29, 12:25 PM #58
Doom III has nothing to do with DirectX... it uses OpenGL.

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-01-29, 12:32 PM #59
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Uh....No? From people who have gone to QuakeCon, 1, it was RUNNING on Linux machines, and 2, Carmack stated that it would indeed be out for Linux.
</font>

Great! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] I know I heard it would be out for linux, but guess I read it wrong.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This might make you feel better</font>

Thanks... it did. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There's an even better game about to be realesed it's called BOOM 3
</font>

Can you please shut the **** up about that already?

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-01-29, 12:36 PM #60
If I could say anything I wanted on these forums, Casper would be crying. Anyways, yah no prob Mystic0, hehe. It'll be cool running it on my Linux partition--that sucker's gonna fly [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!