Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Last Samurai
The Last Samurai
2003-12-02, 2:49 PM #1
Anyone going to see it? It looks fairly interesting. Then again that's mostly because I like katanas, samurais, and ninjas.
2003-12-02, 2:54 PM #2
TOM CRUISE IS A DREAM BOAT.

------------------
June 16 - A night to remember
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?"
2003-12-02, 2:57 PM #3
I'll probably go see it over break. It looks pretty good from what I've seen, but there's no way to know for sure.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-02, 2:59 PM #4
I think it looks spiffy, Im thinking about seeing it

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-02, 3:00 PM #5
Well, I want to see it... but then again, I wanted to see Pirates of the Carrabean, Masters and Commanders, Alien in theaters... and probably some more I forgot. And I never saw them.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2003-12-02, 3:17 PM #6
Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise are so dreamy.... :-o

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2003-12-02, 3:19 PM #7
I liked it more before I saw the newer trailer which gave away 2/3rds of the plot...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-02, 3:19 PM #8
My girlfriends friend and her boyfriend saw it last weekend, and they both loved it. They said it was serious oscar material, and the fact that Cruise was in it didnt hold it back at all.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-02, 3:26 PM #9
I'm not putting down the movie until I have seen it, but having the whitest guy in the world in a chinese samari movie seems kind of odd to me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2003-12-02, 4:00 PM #10
Why? Anime people are always pale white [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2003-12-02, 4:02 PM #11
Tom Cruise seems to be inserting him into Historical films... only completely stupidly. LOOK! I'M CHINESE! LOOK! I'M AN AMERICAN PILOT THAT WON THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN!

------------------
<kyle90> i got my SAT scores back
<kyle90> according to the sheet i got sent in the mail, I did "better than 99% of all college-bound seniors"
<kyle90> of course, thats comparing me to americans
<kyle90> so its not really a fair assessment
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2003-12-02, 4:02 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
I'm not putting down the movie until I have seen it, but having the whitest guy in the world in a chinese samari movie seems kind of odd to me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

</font>

...OK...

the word is 'samurai', it's a japanese word, the movie takes place in Japan, Tom Cruise plays an American...

He's a civil war vet who goes over there.

------------------
saberopus
oh yeh wlel i jsut gots finesht wiht my morrwoind mod for teh JO An it takes up teh 900 gigabiets of spaec but i wlil not sowh yuo gyz teh scrnshoots becasue we dunat kare wut u gyz tihnk ne1 no wear i kan get ti hostad 4 dounlowd!!!!11!111 --Checksum
2003-12-02, 4:50 PM #13
what other historical films has Cruise been in, BV??

yeah, it looks interesting... the newer trailer gives away far too much plot, though =/
well, we shall see if it's any good when it's released, i guess (=

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-02, 5:00 PM #14
Why do people confuse actors with story writers and directors? Really, it's not like he thought up the idea.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-12-02, 5:29 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Is_907:
what other historical films has Cruise been in, BV??

yeah, it looks interesting... the newer trailer gives away far too much plot, though =/
well, we shall see if it's any good when it's released, i guess (=

</font>

He was in Minority Report.

What? It could be historical.. one day. Maybe.

------------------
[12:42] Spork: I wish I knew, coned sucked. owned owns coned and pwned.
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2003-12-02, 5:34 PM #16
My girlfriend wants to see it because it's Tom Cruise, I want to see it because it's Samurai. And Ninjas. There are Ninjas in it. They are totally cool, and are mammals.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2003-12-02, 5:37 PM #17
I saw a sneak preview just the other day, and let me tell you, it is an absolutely terrific movie. I really can't find any flaws with it.

------------------
They came to sieze and take whatever they please,
Then all they gave back was death and disease.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2003-12-02, 5:46 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:

</font>

Excuse me but -I- am the whitest guy in the world. I'm not joking, I literally glow in the dark.

------------------
June 16 - A night to remember
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?"
2003-12-02, 5:53 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Is_907:
what other historical films has Cruise been in, BV??</font>

Far and Away... Interview With the Vampire? Heh.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-02, 8:44 PM #20
From the trailer it looks like it could be outstanding. Got brought up in my his111 course actually.

*points to Interview with a Vampire and Minority Report as examples of movies that were still outstanding despite having Tom Cruise in a lead role*

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2003-12-02, 9:08 PM #21
The best Tom Cruise movie is Top Gun...

and he is pale. The pool scene in Minority Report... MY EYES!!!!#

------------------
~amor sui~
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2003-12-02, 9:11 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
LOOK! I'M CHINESE! LOOK! I'M AN AMERICAN PILOT THAT WON THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN!

</font>

First, he's not trying to be Chinese at all, or Japanese for that matter. As was said before, he plays an American Civil War verteran who is hired to train Japanese soldiers to fight opposing samurai.

Second, there were actually some American pilots that went to England and flew with the British prior to the US gettng into the European theater of WWII.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2003-12-03, 12:26 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
there were actually some American pilots that went to England and flew with the British prior to the US gettng into the European theater of WWII.

</font>

The one cruise is supposedly playing got shot down without ever getting one confirmed killed....I bet in the movie he somehow single handily wins the battle of Britain for us....just like in U-571 when the American’s won the battle of the Atlantic by "single handily" capturing the enigma device thus helping the allies intercept communications between the axis ships....funny that the only record the allies have of the Americans ever getting hold of an enigma device is after it had already been decoded....funny how hollywood likes to ignore this fact....and the bit in the cedits saying how this film is totally fictional is pointless because by the time it came up 95% of the audience would have left....ggrrr [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

back to the last samurai, gonna see it basically because of the theme, haven't got any problems with cruise in the lead role, should be a good movie as long as they don't "over-do" his role.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2003-12-03, 12:31 AM #24
Don't forget about the BS in pearl harbor!

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2003-12-03, 12:39 AM #25
I totally agree with you, Mr. Bond [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Cruise did a great job in Minorty Report, so I'm not too woried about this one

------------------
Pissed Off?
2003-12-03, 4:56 AM #26
Shogun > You.

------------------
"In the memory you'll find me. Eyes burning up.
The darkness holding me tightly.
Untill the sun rises up."
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2003-12-03, 2:28 PM #27
You know Tom Cruise actually isn't all that tall, I think he's only 5'8'' or 5'9''. Hmm most of you are actually not scathing the movie. Even if the plot fails, the katana actions look good.
2003-12-03, 3:22 PM #28
I plan on seeing it with a group of friends this weekend, it looks good.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2003-12-03, 4:32 PM #29
Pirates of the Caribbean = 7th Sea the Movie
The Last Samurai = Legend of the Five Rings the Movie
2003-12-03, 4:41 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Why do people confuse actors with story writers and directors? Really, it's not like he thought up the idea.

</font>

BV wasn't implying that he thought up the ideas. He was just saying that Tom Cruise is accepting more historical type films (accurate or otherwise).

Though, to be fair, the same might could be said of Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Nicolas Cage, ect.

Though, I'm not sure if it's the "Historical" aspect that draws them to the role as much as it is the "Drama" aspect.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.

[This message has been edited by Friend14 (edited December 03, 2003).]
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2003-12-03, 4:58 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by James Bond:
just like in U-571 when the American’s won the battle of the Atlantic by "single handily" capturing the enigma device thus helping the allies intercept communications between the axis ships....funny that the only record the allies have of the Americans ever getting hold of an enigma device is after it had already been decoded....
</font>

Of course they captured it after decoding. Or more realistically, captured one /obviously/ after having gotten ahold of one quite some time earlier. But of course they're not going to publicise the fact that they can decode enigma right away at least because then the germans would just change the code and thye'd be back at square-one. I'm sure there was massive counter-intelligence operating to quota and protect how they used the information they decoded so as not to tip off the Germans by being too obvious or accurate all the time.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2003-12-03, 5:04 PM #32
Calm down, peoples. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] Do you know why U-571 had the americans capture the enigma? Becuase it's AN AMERICAN MOVIE. Stress on both AMERICAN and also MOVIE. Americans find it easier to watch americans do stuff, and it's a MOVIE. And nowhere did it even imply that they did anything singlehandedly.

I liek historical accuracy more than most people, but some people need to calm down and just enjoy the stuff. Seriously.
Warhead[97]
2003-12-04, 6:35 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Calm down, peoples. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] Do you know why U-571 had the americans capture the enigma? Becuase it's AN AMERICAN MOVIE. Stress on both AMERICAN and also MOVIE. Americans find it easier to watch americans do stuff, and it's a MOVIE. And nowhere did it even imply that they did anything singlehandedly.

I liek historical accuracy more than most people, but some people need to calm down and just enjoy the stuff. Seriously.
</font>

Uh... I'm American, and I don't find it "easier" to watch Americans "do stuff". James Bond, for example, (the character, not the Massassian) would lose all of his appeal if he were American.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2003-12-04, 7:32 AM #34
That's because American men aren't as charming and disease plagued.

------------------
Roach - Pendulum stops and falls away. Life sifted through like sand.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2003-12-04, 7:43 AM #35
Is The Last Samurai is based on Clavell's Shogun? That is of course kinda based (and I mean only a little..a real little) on William Adams.

[ I also mean slightly based being that they are set in different times and are about different things. Just seems to me they got a lot in common, a whole lot.]

Also, if this has been said sorry, but isn't the event in the movie based on Saigo Takamori? The last Samurai that lead a group of warriors against the Japanese government in 1877?

------------------
Think Them Skimpy thoughts!!!

[This message has been edited by Skrompy (edited December 04, 2003).]

Think Them Skimpy thoughts!!!
2003-12-04, 2:22 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skrompy:
Also, if this has been said sorry, but isn't the event in the moved based on Saigo Takamori? The last Samurai that lead a group of warriors against the Japanese government in 1877?

</font>

I forgot his name, but I do remember watching a behind the scenes preview that did say something along the lines of that.
2003-12-04, 4:57 PM #37
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325710/

Except Saigo Takamori does not appear in the credits as a Samurai in the movie, which kind of sucks.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471089702/qid=1070596433//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/102-1587193-7879365?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

------------------
2003-12-04, 5:12 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CygnusX:
Uh... I'm American, and I don't find it "easier" to watch Americans "do stuff". James Bond, for example, (the character, not the Massassian) would lose all of his appeal if he were American.
</font>

I'm American, too, and I also don't necessarily find it easier to watch Americans do stuff, but then again, we aren't a majority. Sorry, but it's true.
Warhead[97]
2003-12-05, 2:33 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
I'm American, too, and I also don't necessarily find it easier to watch Americans do stuff, but then again, we aren't a majority. Sorry, but it's true.</font>

I agree. In many American martial arts movies, I notice that the fighting is never that fast compare to a real hong kong produced martial arts movie.
2003-12-05, 2:36 PM #40
Americans are for Street Fighting.

Street Fighting
Strenght:=============
Speed:===
Dex:=======
Special Move Strenght:======
HP:==========

Martial Arts
Strenght:======
Speed:============
Dex:=========
Special Move Strenght:===========
HP:=======

Edit: Added Speical Move Strenght into v1.0b

------------------
Gamers forced into direct sun light for first time burst into flames.

[This message has been edited by Nauree (edited December 05, 2003).]

↑ Up to the top!