Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Official KOTOR Thread - Discuss the sequel, the current game, etc. -SPOILERS-
The Official KOTOR Thread - Discuss the sequel, the current game, etc. -SPOILERS-
2004-02-03, 4:35 AM #1
Well, I have zero hopes of this thread seriously getting of the ground and staying on the main page, but given I am a relative newcomer to KOTOR, and am playing through (just got the last Star Map), I am finding that this game quite possibly has some of the best story and dialog I have seen in a game, ever - rivaling that of the original JK (better IMHO, although JK is a close second as SW games go).

So, aside from thoughts on the game, this is going to be a "discuss whatever you want about KOTOR" thread, be it a character you are creating, a plotline you dug, lines that cracked you up, etc.

Well, let's see how this thread goes.

I have to say that I am very amused with the dialog for KOTOR. From your HK assassin droid calling people 'meatbag', and the ensuing story of how that came about, to the bickering that goes on between your party members, I have to say this has been the most satisfying RPG-style game I have ever played. I am downright addicted to it.

A couple of shining moments:

On Korriban, if you enter the academy with Jolee in your group, and tell your sith masters that your group members are slaves, Jolee plays the part of a slave VERY tongue in cheek, in line with how they were portrayed in early film, taking a veiled shot at it, kinda like the "Yesser Masta" kind of stuff. If it weren't VERY sarcastic, I would be offended likely, but it was so artfully done, I found myself giggling over just how wrong it is. I love sarcasm, and Jolee is full of it - riot for hours on end.

Another Jolee moment is going into his story, and getting to the point where he crashed on Kassyyk (sp), and you ask why he helped out on Kassyyk (sp):

Jolee: I guess I did it all for the wookiees.
You: The wookiees?
Jolee: The wookiees.

And then Jolee stops and mentions something to the tune of going senile, lol. If anyone has been to theforce.net, and seen the "Wookiee" fan film/music video, you know exactly what they were poking fun at here, and I loved it.

Finally, I love the exchange between Mission and Bastila:

Mission: Hey Bastila, you ever use the force on someone...you know just a little jolt of force to trip up some jerk who's ticking you off.

Bastila: I would never use the force for such petty and trivial revenge

Mission: aww come on there's gotta be times when you've wanted to....you don't have to be so stuck up; come on you can tell me

Bastila: I am NOT stuck up...I merely have the wisdom and maturity to see how childish such an act would be

Mission: Childish....is that a crack about my age...you aint much older than me miss high and Mighty...just because you're some jedi doesn't mean you get to be a prissy little *oamph*(mission gets knocked over with force)

Mission: hey what the....!!!! that wasn't funny

Bastila: *straight faced and innocent look* I have no idea what your talking about...do try to be less clumsy in the future

When I saw that, I seriously lost it for a good 5-10 minutes I was laughing so hard.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-03, 4:42 AM #2
Yeah, and the HK-47 stuff was very funny.
2004-02-03, 4:46 AM #3
I loved every minutes of KotOR playing it through on light side, yet now I have absolutely no desire to go play it through as dark. Strange, that.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-03, 4:53 AM #4
I have had the KotoR disc sitting on my desk for two weeks now. Have yet to install.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-03, 4:56 AM #5
*me watches KOTOR's cheap price*

*me watches own computers*

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-02-03, 5:15 AM #6
I have to say this is the most vicarious experience I have ever had with a video game. It really sucks you in and makes you a part of that galaxy...

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-03, 5:17 AM #7
best game i've played in a long while, probably the best RPG...although NWN has a good shot at it....

loads of things i'd like to point out, but busying trying to get a stupid C++ programme to work at the moment so....maybe in a few hours.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-02-03, 5:33 AM #8
On my second character I liked noticing things people said that tie in with the big plot twist at the end (such as Master Dorak's "What if we should undertake to train this one and the Dark Lord should return?"). One thing I particularly admired about this game was on subsequent playthroughs you find a lot of plot lines and jokes you didn't get the first time, either because of the party you were using or because you just didn't bother to look.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-02-03, 5:41 AM #9
Please. KotOR was a great game, yes, and so was JK.

But they've got nothing on TIE Fighter.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-03, 5:53 AM #10
Ah, I had no computer at the time, and couldn't get Tie Fighter to work on my dad's laptop.

So I really can't speak for it... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-03, 5:57 AM #11
I agree, KotOR is definately one of the best Star Wars games ever. Also, theforce.net had an article today about the sequel... apparently, they are only discussing the possibility at this point, but given KotOR's success, I think its only a matter of time.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-03, 6:05 AM #12
From what I am hearing, this one will be in the future, but maybe by only a hundred years or so. It's all new characters; that much I know.

What I would love to see is this one pick up with you as a descendant of Bastila and Revan, which would mean they had a child together and ended up happy.

Plus it would lead to some interesting questions, like did Revan and Bastila leave the jedi order to be married? Or did they leave or were they removed because they started the potentium(sp) - the jedi movement that sees the force as a "grey" area, and light and dark only are determined by how a person uses the force, not by their use of "light" or "dark" powers.

That could lead to some interesting interaction for their descendant, as he/she could face contempt from the jedi they interact with for their choice, and also lead to some other interesting consequences of the choice of his/her ancestors.

A possible path to the dark side might be resentment towards his/her ancestors that he/she is so ostracized.

Could be very interesting indeed.

------------------
2004-02-03, 6:12 AM #13
*Shuts eyes & ears at potential spoilers*
I'm not listening! laaalaaLAAALAALAA!

Question: I liked Anachranox a lot. Can anyone who's played the both Anachronox and KotoR give a comparison to how they play, any similarities? Is combat outcome more dependent on statistics than my direct involvement (i.e. just ctrl-click an enemy NPC, watch the pretty particle show for 15 seconds and then watch the xp flow in. Drink healie potions, enter next generic room. Rinse. Repeat...)? Any similarities to NWN? Or the Fallouts even?

I only mildly like Star Wars. I don't like the whole preachy cheesy force/jedi aspect, but I usually marvel at the variety of locations teeming with odd alien races and smugglers, mercenaries or vehicles. Would I still be able to enjoy KOTOR?
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-02-03, 6:37 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't like the whole preachy cheesy force/jedi aspect</font>

Then you will like this game. This game has one of the most Jedi-irreverent characters in Jolee, and also, you have control over your character - you don't have to be "goody goody" if you don't want to be.

I right now tend to play a jedi who is always doing good, but is a little too witty and emotional to really be a prototypical "jedi". You have one of those 'proper' jedi in your party in Bastila, but I take so much fun in calling her on stuff and torturing her in her own words... highly amusing.

That, and you will love the variety of alien locale and languages in this place.

------------------
2004-02-03, 7:19 AM #15
Not to mention most of the characters in your party aren't Jedi.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-03, 7:26 AM #16
Jolee was awesome. Nothing like an aging man wielding a lightsaber and using the Force and once in a while gives you a common-sense smack upside the head. I carried him with me because he was able to use dark side powers without costing a great deal of Force (all my Jedi were light side).

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-03, 7:42 AM #17
You can be such an ******* in KotOR if you want to, which is pretty satisfying [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-03, 8:14 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
You can be such an ******* in KotOR if you want to, which is pretty satisfying [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

"Are you deaf, flipperhead? I said start the trial!" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-02-03, 8:56 AM #19
What character did you guys use to break you out of prison on the Leviathan? Personally, I used the droid. It was so annoying though because you couldn't save, and everytime you missed the question (It gave you a frickin' math test! You had to complete the sequence of numbers to scramble the droid that was trying to wipe your memory!) I had to go through the whole entire torture scene about 5 times! (At about 5 minutes each, how annoying).

It was so fun using a flame-thrower on sith troopers though from the little droid. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Also, what's up with going back to the academy after you fall to the dark side? They treat you like nothing happened!

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-03, 9:10 AM #20
The first time, I used Juhani and I can't remember who I used the second time. I think Canderous.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-03, 9:24 AM #21
I used my boy HK.

That was a hoot.

------------------
2004-02-03, 9:52 AM #22
I used mission, that was fun

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-03, 10:47 AM #23
I think I am going to go back and play as a light jedi again, only this time, use what I know to create a better character...

------------------
2004-02-03, 3:56 PM #24
So, anyone have any character-building tips?

------------------
2004-02-03, 4:07 PM #25
Go Soldier and..... the offensive Jedi one, I forget what it's called, there isnt really a reason not to go all-out attack.

I used Jolee to escape from the Leviathan. Nothing like an old man running around in his underpants.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-03, 6:33 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">loved every minutes of KotOR playing it through on light side, yet now I have absolutely no desire to go play it through as dark. Strange, that.
</font>
erm...you don't have to. Just decide to go dark instead of light at the battle bastila (of course, you probably don't have a save there)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What I would love to see is this one pick up with you as a descendant of Bastila and Revan, which would mean they had a child together and ended up happy.
Plus it would lead to some interesting questions, like did Revan and Bastila leave the jedi order to be married? Or did they leave or were they removed because they started the potentium(sp) - the jedi movement that sees the force as a "grey" area, and light and dark only are determined by how a person uses the force, not by their use of "light" or "dark" powers.
</font>
hey, hey, hey! What about Revan and Carth? Huh? Sexist pig. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Also, I was wondering why in KotOR the powers are inherently light and dark, but in JA Kyle says they aren't.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can be such an ******* in KotOR if you want to, which is pretty satisfying
</font>
But I wished you could attack whoever you want. Like in NWN.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So, anyone have any character-building tips?
</font>
This guy knows what he is talking about(This guy says soldier, but I'd go scout cuz there are some REALLY nice implant out there and you only need to really give up 10VP for it.)

I like KotOR. It's dialog and plot were good, but they didn't top that of BG2's

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-03, 6:42 PM #27
I finally upgraded my system so I can play it, so hopefully I'll get it soon.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-02-03, 6:50 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder:
*Shuts eyes & ears at potential spoilers*
I'm not listening! laaalaaLAAALAALAA!

Question: I liked Anachranox a lot. Can anyone who's played the both Anachronox and KotoR give a comparison to how they play, any similarities? Is combat outcome more dependent on statistics than my direct involvement (i.e. just ctrl-click an enemy NPC, watch the pretty particle show for 15 seconds and then watch the xp flow in. Drink healie potions, enter next generic room. Rinse. Repeat...)? Any similarities to NWN? Or the Fallouts even?

I only mildly like Star Wars. I don't like the whole preachy cheesy force/jedi aspect, but I usually marvel at the variety of locations teeming with odd alien races and smugglers, mercenaries or vehicles. Would I still be able to enjoy KOTOR?
</font>

I agree with the spoiler bit :P

I've played anachronox, and only KOTOR up to Anchorhead (that's gotta be at least a forth of the way through...), unfortunately, due to inability to access an X-box since I've moved to the dorms. My opinion is that these two games are not similar. In KOTOR, While in pause mode, before battle, you pre-choose who attacks who, what moves they do, and which moves/force in what sequece, IE: this attack, this force, this heal, this attack, then switch to another character and do the same for them before finally un-pausin and letting them all hack and slash in real-time. You can pause at any moment of the battle and have them do something else before continuing the battle, or, if you're stupid, have them all run away or something. Battles are not separately controlled like in turn-base.

Culturally, the games are simiilar in the sense that there is much variation, many different groups to talk to, different people doing different things, you choose who to help, who not to help, run this sidequest for this alien, etc.

Experience-wise, if you were laughing alot playing anachronox, you're not going to laugh quite so much with KOTOR, although it does have its moments. Face it, anachronox was an RPG comic book, filled with all kinds of humor. I loved that about the game, and I miss it in other games. Anachronox could pull off random things--on the way to the planet that has the answers to our problems, we get picked up by an alien comic book ship, or 'the annoying planet we were just on shrank and is going to help us using it's planetary raygun' ... "shoot me". Can you find that incredibly funny slapstip sarcastic humor in Starwars? Not to that degree.

My opinion: Play KOTOR. It's engaging, very fun. It's not quite turn-based, but it's got a great story, lightsabers, it's lengthy, and a large number of characters. It's graphically superior to anachronox, which is a good plus. Each character has a background and story that you involve yourself in, you meet alot of people, and it's an all-around fun game. For crying out loud, it's GOTY for some award site...or something.

Hopefully that's accurate enough for not beating the game :P.

[edit: oh yeah, anachronox rocks! *cough* *walks away silently*]
------------------
I'm going to go out and do stuff, like besides work. Call up ben, hang out. Maybe see the last samurai, go skydiving, whatever.
Get back into the gym...
I want to do stuff that prevents me from playin video games so I can only play them a few hours a day, basically.
(Formally Veger, who died when he lost his e-mail adress, and his password. Veeger still looks for his old pass...)

[This message has been edited by Veeger (edited February 03, 2004).]
I'm going to go out and do stuff, like besides work. Call up ben, hang out. Maybe see the last samurai, go skydiving, whatever.
Get back into the gym...
I want to do stuff that prevents me from playin video games so I can only play them a few hours a day, basically.
(Formally Veger, who died when he lost his e-mail adress, and his password. Veeger still looks for his old pass...)
2004-02-03, 7:30 PM #29
... if tatooine was the first place you went after taris/dantooine, you're not even close to a fourth of the way through. took me a total of 40 hours to complete the game, on easy difficulty, along with skipping a good amount of side-quests.. so... yeah. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

[Edit: after re-reading my original post, I realized it may have come out a bit harsh or whatever, so.. I added a smily. yep.]
------------------
Moo.

[This message has been edited by A_Big_Fat_CoW (edited February 04, 2004).]
Moo.
2004-02-03, 9:35 PM #30
Holy carp, I've gotta play this game on my weekends...as well as Deus Ex 2 and XIII :P

------------------
Get back into the gym...
Get back into the gym...
2004-02-03, 11:35 PM #31
Great game. Exceptionally well written...a refreshing change after some of the eye rolling elements of JO.

It did annoy me a bit that jedi's were by -far- the best fighters....I mean sure it's accurate, but dammit I hated taking HK-47 out of my group for any reason. So yeah, ranged combat was just a bit disappointing.

Minor flaws on a masterpiece mind you.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-04, 2:50 AM #32
Actually, I found ranged fighters have their place. I sometimes have one to support 2 jedi, and when I go against a tough boss that likes to make saving throws against my force powers, the ranged guy in back usually does the most damage with power shot - the boss is too busy with my 2 jedis.

------------------
2004-02-04, 3:09 AM #33
Actually, ranged support people have some pretty nifty shots. Give someone two good pistols, and use master sniper shot, it'll stun them for 3-5 seconds, giving your ranger even more time to use it again. Also, having sneak attack IX helps too, I could take out almost any sith fighter, and some jedi out in one hit. On one occasion, I took out a jedi master in one hit using sneak attack IX with two good blasters. Even a jedi couldnt pull off that...

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-04, 9:52 AM #34
I seriously need to replay this game. I would start over, but I am so close to the end already. But yeah, I want to buff out my character...

------------------
2004-02-04, 10:22 AM #35
I also found Mission to be useful in a support roll with 2 jedi. When her sneak attack gets up there (Level 7 on my current game), she will mess people up if you shoot them in the back or while stunned. Also, basic ranged weaons are pretty crappy, but if you get some of the upgradable ones and fully upgrade, you can get some pretty good damge.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-04, 10:41 AM #36
HK-47 + Canderous = GOLD.

HK-47: "Would you like me to blast them all now, master?"

Canderous: "Hey I like this droid. Listen to the droid."

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-02-04, 10:50 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
What character did you guys use to break you out of prison on the Leviathan? Personally, I used the droid. It was so annoying though because you couldn't save, and everytime you missed the question (It gave you a frickin' math test! You had to complete the sequence of numbers to scramble the droid that was trying to wipe your memory!) I had to go through the whole entire torture scene about 5 times! (At about 5 minutes each, how annoying).
</font>

Hahaha... I did. I drank about 4 litres of pepsi, as every time (except the first) that cutscene came on, I would go out of the room and pour myself a drink.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-02-04, 10:54 AM #38
HK-47 is actually a really good support unit if you give him things like the flamethrower and carbonite and give him the Jedi/Droid Support script.

Also, don't underestimate ranged combat when the Insta-Kill blaster pistol is out there(which it's instant death feature has a DC 100. Yeah, your enemies are screwed.)

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-04, 2:09 PM #39
One thing I figured out for a new character is to not level up[other than the required level up on the First Ship] until you get to Dantooine and get trained in the arts of the Force. Means you get more Force powers. So what if it's a little cheap?

------------------
TI-MAH!
2004-02-04, 2:22 PM #40
Yeah, I am going to try that trick next.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!