Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Scary (Oil Crisis)
Scary (Oil Crisis)
2004-02-10, 12:32 PM #1
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-10, 12:37 PM #2
A world population of 500 million... that is freaky.
2004-02-10, 12:39 PM #3
That's silly. Alternative energy sources have been around for ages. Electric cars for example... Running out of oil might be a bad thing at first, but we'll inevitably find alternatives, and in the long run, it will be a good thing. Both for humanity and the environement.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-10, 12:43 PM #4
Well if you read the article it states that it is impossible for alternate energy to make up for all the areas where fossil fuels are used today.
2004-02-10, 12:46 PM #5
Yeah... farms, food processing, power generators, medical supplys... massassi.... :shudders:

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-02-10, 12:46 PM #6
The article is biased however, and also written by a Californian. People there tend to lack common sense when talking about energy, and go for "scare tactics" like this one instead.

Trust me - once oil begins to run out, alternative fuel sources will begin to churn out in a hurry, hydrogen feul cells being one such technology.

The only reason they aren't out in masse right now is that the people making money get more profit from oil than feul cells - they will churn them out once oil is no longer an option...

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-10, 12:53 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Well if you read the article it states that it is impossible for alternate energy to make up for all the areas where fossil fuels are used today.</font>

A very large proportion of the oil is used for fuelling cars and such. Alternatives do exist for those uses.. while we could be saving the rest of the oil for more vital functions. They say riding a bike is no better than driving a SUV... and that shows how biased the article is. Yes, it does take oil to build a bike.. but you can't even compare to the ammounts it will take you to power your car over the years.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-10, 12:56 PM #8
Interesting article, but very far-fetched. It could happen, but not likely. Humans have a way of continually adapting and surviving, and being reduced to 500 million in one generation is unlikely.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-10, 12:59 PM #9
Joren - the way I read it it's more the problem of running out of 'cheap' oil....and given the growing level of industrialisation around the world I can see how that would be a major problem.

I do think we will find energy alternatives, but I don't think we should be too cocky or accepting that they will just 'appear' when we need them. A lot of bad things could happen if we don't have them when we -need- them, which will be well short of the last oil running out.

We should be pro-active and have the -serious- alternatives ready. A lot of current alternatives are incompatible with much of the technology that oil feeds.

Anyway, interesting article but I will take a lot of it with a grain of salt given many of the source links are not exactly the best sources around.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-10, 1:01 PM #10
You know what? I don't really care if this article is realistic or not, because we're all gonna die anyways. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-10, 1:04 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> They say riding a bike is no better than driving a SUV... and that shows how biased the article is. Yes, it does take oil to build a bike.. but you can't even compare to the ammounts it will take you to power your car over the years.</font>

Actually the article didn't say it was "no better" just that it is not a 100% fossil fuel free item.

"Not so fast Mr. Self Righteous. You think you're off the hook because you ride a bicycle instead of drive an S.U.V.? Guess what? It took oil to manufacture and transport that bicycle. The plastic that your veggie sandwich is wrapped in also came from oil. You're simply (considerably) less guilty than the S.U.V. driver."

------------------
2004-02-10, 1:07 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fossil fuels account for 65% of our current global energy supply. None of the traditional alternatives can supply anywhere near this much energy, let alone the amount we will need in the future as our population continues to grow and industrialize.</font>

So even though we managed to get 35% of the energy source away from Oil it's completely useless to even try to conserve and make up that other 65%, thats some massssssive ignorance.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
2004-02-10, 1:12 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Reserve and National Guard troops that are now in Iraq have not been issued bullet proof vests.
If our leaders are so willing to sacrifice our troops, how willing do you think they are to sacrifice you? </font>

must say again, what the hell is this?

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
2004-02-10, 1:13 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I do think we will find energy alternatives, but I don't think we should be too cocky or accepting that they will just 'appear' when we need them. A lot of bad things could happen if we don't have them when we -need- them, which will be well short of the last oil running out.

We should be pro-active and have the -serious- alternatives ready. A lot of current alternatives are incompatible with much of the technology that oil feeds.</font>

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So even though we managed to get 35% of the energy source away from Oil it's completely useless to even try to conserve and make up that other 65%, thats some massssssive ignorance.</font>

That's why you never trust a Californian when they are talking about energy. They don't even practice what they ridiculously preach anyway...*cough*L.A.*cough*

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-10, 1:15 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
You know what? I don't really care if this article is realistic or not, because we're all gonna die anyways. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Gotta love that site, Flexor. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-02-10, 1:18 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TwistedSoul:
must say again, what the hell is this?</font>

It is the author getting -far- off topic to try and bolster his case....and a sign that this guy struggles mightily with objectivity. Towards the end I was skimming heavily because of other comments like that. He should have stuck to the damn topic of the article.

------------------
2004-02-10, 1:33 PM #17
welp, good to see you've all donned your tin-foil hats.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-10, 1:35 PM #18
he is also completely ignoring basic supply and demand, when oil become expensive, we will HAVE to use alternate sources and using more effecient fuel consumers. he is also ignoring what oil companies will produce oil less and less as the rise of production increases. When their profits are becomming null i think there will be a *legal* reason to pursue other energy and it *will* be in the best interest of that company.

God this guy annoys me alot.

------------------
Quote:

2004-02-10, 1:43 PM #19
If this were true the CIA or some other government would know about it, and they would already be making us preserve oils ect. Plus- they're will be alternatives-heck they might do something weird like in the movie The Core where they drive to the core of the Earth lol. I think they made this article for publicity.

------------------
NightFire
NightFire
2004-02-10, 1:49 PM #20
[Edit: everything I was going to say has already been said]

[This message has been edited by DeTRiTiC-iQ (edited February 10, 2004).]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-10, 1:59 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Well if you read the article it states that it is impossible for alternate energy to make up for all the areas where fossil fuels are used today.</font>

Seemingly impossible maybe NOW, but that doesn't mean we won't come up with SOMETHING.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-10, 2:09 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TQBinfinity:
If this were true the CIA or some other government would know about it, and they would already be making us preserve oils ect. </font>

....why would the CIA have anything to do with that?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Plus- they're will be alternatives-heck they might do something weird like in the movie The Core where they drive to the core of the Earth lol.</font>

That movie made my head hurt. Unobtainium....ugh.

------------------
2004-02-10, 2:17 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
That movie made my head hurt. Unobtainium....ugh.

</font>

There is a joke in a few industries of "Unobtainium", I've never seen The Core, but I'm assuming they used Unobtanium as a name for a extremely strong/heat-resistant and yet extremely light-weight material. That makes me laugh, as Unobtainium was named because of its sheer impossibility.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-10, 2:21 PM #24
Yup Roach, you should watch it...it's hilariously bad. HACK THE PLANET!

------------------
2004-02-10, 2:29 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The article is biased however, and also written by a Californian. People there tend to lack common sense when talking about energy, and go for "scare tactics" like this one instead.</font>

... Do you read the things you write? Like, seriously.. that's just..
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-10, 2:30 PM #26
I don't know, Hollywood already tried to teach me that drilling to the center of an asteroid and detonating a nuke would destroy the asteroid and save the Earth, now they're trying to teach us that drilling to the center of the Earth and detonating a nuke would also save the Earth...without destroying it...a Reverse-Armageddon-Plot seems to have a few flaws in it.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-10, 2:32 PM #27
How does he know the world population will increase by 200% by 2020? I mean those could be some massive war or something like that....
2004-02-10, 2:39 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
Yup Roach, you should watch it...it's hilariously bad. HACK THE PLANET!

</font>

I had a feeling that movie would be awful from the first time I saw the trailer.

------------------
2004-02-10, 2:53 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
How does he know the world population will increase by 200% by 2020? I mean those could be some massive war or something like that....</font>

If there is to be a WW-III, it would be a nuclear war, and due to the 'mutual destruction' agreement, all hell would break loose... or maybe I should say the opposite of hell.

Link coutesy of Flexor.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-10, 3:44 PM #30
Oil will not run out in a sudden stop, and I don't think it will be as soon as this guy thinks. As the price for oil becomes higher with decreasing suplies 2 things will happen:

1. It will become more economical to get oil from harder to reach sources and that will make up for some of the loss, although at a higher price.

2. Alternative energy sources will become more economically feasible and we will slowly shift to them.

To what TwistedSoul said earlier, BP and Shell are already big players in the solar power market.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-02-10, 3:53 PM #31
If the world lost its oil suppy completely I believe their would be complete anarchy.

------------------
*Bjorn*
muhahahha FIRE!!!!!!!! :) :( >:) :D ;(.
hi
*Bjorn*
muhahahha FIRE!!!!!!!! :) :( &gt;:) :D ;(.
hi
2004-02-10, 3:58 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joren DarkStar:
That's why you never trust a Californian when they are talking about energy. They don't even practice what they ridiculously preach anyway...*cough*L.A.*cough*

</font>

Everyone knows LA sucks. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-10, 5:09 PM #33
I think he forget Hydrogen fuel cells as well. The most abundant resource in the Universe [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Quote:

2004-02-10, 5:13 PM #34
Talked about this in various classes, even wrote a nice little paper on it last year. There are plenty of alternative and clean energy sources out there, the most readily availible being wind and the sun. The major draw back these days being that the plants don't look pretty [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] Can you believe that? Fuel cell technology is out there, but not commerciable yet.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-10, 5:36 PM #35
I thought massassi was powered by souls... what's oil have to do with anything...

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-02-10, 7:50 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
I don't know, Hollywood already tried to teach me that drilling to the center of an asteroid and detonating a nuke would destroy the asteroid and save the Earth, now they're trying to teach us that drilling to the center of the Earth and detonating a nuke would also save the Earth...without destroying it...a Reverse-Armageddon-Plot seems to have a few flaws in it.

</font>

seeing the as the earth is many times larger, has a liquid interior and doesn't have a MAJOR fault runnig all the way through it, it is pretty easy to see why the earth didn't blow up.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-02-10, 8:15 PM #37
the biggest downside to solar energy is the amount of energy it takes to make the collectors pretty much overwhelms their lifetime output (which isn't to say it doesn't have it's uses, but at least with current tech, it's a net energy loss)

there have been doom and gloomers for decades saying the earth can't sustain more than 500 million (with that specific number, interestingly enough), some suggesting radical measures to accomplish it, some not.

The most likely scenario imo remains oil becoming depleted around 2050 (which essentially means too difficult to obtain, rather than completed depleted).

Once the production costs of oil rise, alternatives will become more viable financially, so they will get further investment and development, reducing their costs.

It will work itself out (and those who make it work out will most likely become rich, so invest now people (but wisely))
2004-02-10, 9:04 PM #38
There is more oil in the world than ideas for alternate fuel.

While I don't want fossil fuels to remain the primary source of energy I'll be damned if someone tries to sell me on the idea that we are actually running out.

Persia is running out of oil, yes. Not the world.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-02-10, 9:22 PM #39
We're running out of oil. You're damned

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited February 11, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-02-10, 10:05 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
We're running out of oil. You're damned

</font>

I guess I am. The numerous and abundant sources of "facts" (lol!) have proven me wrong beyond any shadow of a doubt. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to start using my segway and go back to my (f)atkins diet now!

------------------

↑ Up to the top!