Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What the hell - Astrology.
What the hell - Astrology.
2004-02-09, 8:21 AM #1
Nothing good gets posted anymore, I can't say as I'm entirely innocent. Either way, my question is: Do you believe in astrology?

Why or why not?

If you don't believe in it, don't put "science hasn't proven it" as the reason - that's not good enough.

I, personally, believe in it because it's accurate to the point of creepy.

[This message has been edited by Checksum (edited February 09, 2004).]
2004-02-09, 8:25 AM #2
When you say it's "so accurate," I'm assuming you're referring to horoscopes. That's funny, because horoscopes are extremely vague to the point of almost being applicable to anything and everything.

No, I don't believe in it. It's a form of entertainment, no more.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-09, 8:25 AM #3
science doesn't prove anything
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-09, 8:27 AM #4
I believe there's something in it.

I seem to follow the values of the aquarian.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-02-09, 8:27 AM #5
I don't believe in it because it makes no sense. How do patterns of stars in the sky determine the future? I also don't believe in it because it's never produced an accurate outcome even once (for me, that is). I believe any connection is either coincidental or psychological. Remember: the human mind is easily influenced.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
science doesn't prove anything</font>
Depends on the circumstances. Science is a study. Scientists observe data, and prove or disprove theories & hypotheses, be it their own or others'.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 09, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-09, 8:30 AM #6
Nope, not at all. Why? Because it's all a load of rubbish [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-09, 8:33 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
...I, personally, believe in it because it's accurate to the point of creepy.</font>

I pity you.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-09, 8:36 AM #8
What's to pity? At least I know something about myself.

Even if it means I'm easily influenced, at least I have something to turn to.
2004-02-09, 8:37 AM #9
To prove my original point, the following comes from www.astrology.com.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Associates and clients stand in awe of your physical and mental skills. Make the phone call that's been on your mind for a while. Publish a statement that people are ready to hear. </font>
That's totally inaccurate. I'm unemployed, and certainly don't have any physical skills to put anyone in awe. Phone call on my mind? No such thing, although my mind is trying to search for something and turns up nothing. (psychology, as I said before) Publish a statement? Sure it could be done, I suppose, but like I said, I'm unemployed. No job = no money = no way to publish. That's totally out of wack.

From www.horoscope.com:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You may be a little out of control today, especially if you feel strongly about an issue that has arisen between you and someone you love. Don't say things in haste. Be tolerant and patient.</font>
Totally inaccurate again.

I'd suggest studying and learning more about something before puting all your faith into it.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Even if it means I'm easily influenced, at least I have something to turn to.</font>
I didn't mean it that way. The human mind searches diligently for any type of pattern that it can use to prove to itself that something is the way it wants it to be. That's just the way it works. I didn't mean to say you're easily influenced.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 09, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-09, 8:42 AM #10
Astrology is completely fake. Whens the last time you saw a one or two star horoscope in the newspaper? That alone should clue people in, because we all have really bad days.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-09, 9:11 AM #11
I don't believe in astrology, but you know how sceptical we libras are...

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-02-09, 9:45 AM #12
if it wasn't completely fake and imaginative then i might.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-02-09, 9:49 AM #13
I only believe astrology if it's printed in the Onion.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-09, 10:01 AM #14
Nope - complete bogus.

Stars pretty much maintain their positions in the sky from year to year, aside from 'drift', so I can't see how looking at some giant balls of gas swinging around an a predetermined motion can tell my future or fortune.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-09, 10:21 AM #15
I think there might be some truth to astrological profiles. They do tend to represent people associated with those signs, even those who don't believe in astrology the slightest bit (such as myself). It's well known that children of early age are extremely influenced by the world around them. Being born during a different period of the year means people act in much different ways and participate in different activities. This could somehow influence the child later in life... Like a kind of butterfly effect on a smaller scale.

As for daily horoscopes.. I often read them for entertainement purposes, but they rarely describe my thoughts and feelings accurately.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-09, 10:52 AM #16
all nonsense

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-09, 10:55 AM #17
I don't believe it not only because I think it's fake, but because if it were real, what purpose does it really serve?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-09, 10:58 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
I only believe astrology if it's printed in the Onion.

</font>

"Be on guard this Tuesday. It will feel suspiciously like a thursday"

"The stars indicate through subtle, non-verbal cues, ahts you have the worst breath they've ever encountered"

"Its time to start acting your age. When most people turn 87, they're dead"

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-09, 10:59 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think there might be some truth to astrological profiles. </font>

I don't. I think that you could find as many people who were born under a different astrological profile than one you select to have the same types of characteristics as the people born under that profile.

The only thing is, you tend to notice it more in people who fit the profile, because subtlely in your mind, you do not see it any other way. So you end up say, noticing all the libra qualities in a libra, but because you aren't looking for it, miss out on all the Taurus, Scorpio and Virgo qualities as well - which you would have noticed had they been born under one of those signs, but then, you would not have noticed the libra.

See what I am getting at?

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-09, 11:02 AM #20
I don't believe it because there is a thirteenth constellation in the ecliptic that they don't even use.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-09, 11:02 AM #21
Sorry, I just found this appropriate for this thread. From Lyrics.com

Aquarius
There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the back of a speeding bus
Fill that void in your pathetic life by playing Whack-A-Mole seventeen hours a day

Pisces
Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus
You are the true Lord of the Dance, no matter what those idiots at work say

Aries
The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in your colon
Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then give a hickey to Meryl Streep

Taurus
You will never find true happiness - what you gonna do, cry about it?
The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep

That's your horoscope for today (that's your horoscope for today)
That's your horoscope for today

Gemini
Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive flatulence
Your love life will run into trouble when your fiance hurls a javelin through your chest

Cancer
The position of Jupiter says you should spend the rest of the week face down in the mud
Try not to shove a roll of duct tape up your nose while taking your driver's test

Leo
Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it to your boss's face, oh no
Eat a bucket of tuna-flavored pudding, then wash it down with a gallon of strawberry Quik

Virgo
All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except for you
Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your head impaled on a stick

Now you may find it inconceivable or at the very least a bit unlikely that the relative position of the planets and the stars could have a special deep significance or meaning that exclusively applies to only you, but let me give you my assurance that these forcasts and predictions are all based on solid, scientific, documented evidence, so you would have to be some kind of moron not to reaize that every single one of the is absolutely true.

Where was I?

Libra
A big promotion is just around the corner for someone much more talented that you
Laughter is the very best medicine, remember that when your appendix bursts next week

Scorpio
Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming from an open window
Work a little harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak

Sagittarius
All your friends are laughing behind your back (kill them)
Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got hanging in your den

Capricorn
The stars say that you're an exciting and wonderful person, but you know they're lying
If I were you, I'd lock my doors and windows and never never never never never leave my house again

That's your horoscope for today (yay yay yay yay yay)

------------------
2004-02-09, 12:51 PM #22
^^ weird al

just a question checksum, what "star-sign" are you, and what system did you use to check that by?
2004-02-09, 12:53 PM #23
I'm a Virgo born during Year of the Rabbit.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'which system,' so all I can say is that every source I've ever tried has told me that September 15th lands me smack in the middle of Virgo.

Edit: And DogsRool, don't take your horoscope literally or you will ALWAYS end up disappointed. Admittedly, Astrology.com is going downhill. I just type in 'horsocopes' at Google and see what kinds of things I come up with.

Hell, at least look at the extended horoscope. It's pretty easy to say 'Astrology is inaccurate' when you don't even look at your whole horoscope.

[This message has been edited by Checksum (edited February 09, 2004).]
2004-02-09, 12:56 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
I don't believe it not only because I think it's fake, but because if it were real, what purpose does it really serve?

</font>

I donno, easier match-making? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-09, 1:02 PM #25
Astrology is amusing, if a crock.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-09, 1:38 PM #26
It makes for some extra bit you can write down in those personality e-mails...

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Mythos Solais
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-02-09, 1:41 PM #27
No, I don't believe in it. Mainly because I have better things to do with my life.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-09, 8:22 PM #28
They're very general things. If you read the horoscope of another star-sign for a week, you'll realize it applies to you just as much as the horoscope from your own star-sign. Most of them have things like "you will encounter a problem today..." which could be anything from the TV not working to a train wreck or a plane crash. It lies in the individual to decided how they're going to apply the horoscope to their day. An avid beliver will probably apply the "you will encounter a problem..." bit to just about anything, even if it's a problem they encounter daily. In my psychology class we did a few experiments with this - We gave every student a horoscope for their week. We told them not to show or tell their horoscope to anyone else, and to keep it entirely private. After reading, we got everyone to rate how accurate it was, on a 1-5 scale.
We got an average of about 4 for the class. We then revealed to them that every single persons horoscope was exactly the same, and have been used for the past couple of years from the teachers course-book. Interesting, eh?

Apart from the psychological factors clearly showing it's not a very solid system of.. whatever it is trying to do, but there's also the scientific side to it... How the hell is the position of stars in the sky supposed to tell you what's going to happen in your day, and what you should do about it? You could say astrology is accurate in describing a persons personality and such, but most of the character traits outlined are qualities that just about everyone has, just on different levels. Most astrological descriptions of people that I've read describe good qualities of people - and even if the person is a complete jerk, they're most likely going to think of themselves as good people, and use the horoscope as a base for that. Keep in mind a lot of the astrological chats that are used in horoscopes are actually based off the position of stars from decades ago, when the stars were actually in completely different positions in the sky. Not that it really matters anyway.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-09, 8:50 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Aquarius, you're gonna die
Capricorn, you're gonna die
Gemini, you're gonna die-- twice
</font>

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited February 09, 2004).]
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-09, 8:56 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
Gemini, you're gonna die-- twice </font>

Heh . . .hehhehhee . . . *snort* . .. hhehhehhehehehehehehe . . . *snort* *snort* . .

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-10, 3:22 AM #31
Astrology can be funny sometimes. One thing that's particularly of interest is the fact that the charts astrologers use are actually off by one constellation. So, since I'm a Capricorn, according to astrologers, I would actually be a Sagittarius, since that would be where the Sun was located at that time of year.

Everything about astrology, including that, it's pure hogwash.

-Fox
2004-02-10, 6:50 AM #32
Quote:
And DogsRool, don't take your horoscope literally or you will ALWAYS end up disappointed. Admittedly, Astrology.com is going downhill. I just type in 'horsocopes' at Google and see what kinds of things I come up with.

Hell, at least look at the extended horoscope. It's pretty easy to say 'Astrology is inaccurate' when you don't even look at your whole horoscope.</font>
erm...
Quote:
I, personally, believe in it because it's accurate to the point of creepy.</font>
If you say something like this, it has to apply to more people than just yourself to be true, right? Also, if I don't take it literally, how am I supposed to take it?

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-10, 6:57 AM #33
Read between the lines, look at the context.
You have to interpret these things.

Long story short, it's just not working for you because you're not letting it work for you.

[This message has been edited by Checksum (edited February 10, 2004).]
2004-02-10, 7:04 AM #34
Well, if I follow my horoscope, I'm gay. It said that I should "spend tonight with my sweetie."

I was watching Star Trek on Spike, and a friend of mine stopped by. He sat in for a couple episodes and then one of CSI.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-10, 7:57 AM #35
It said "you should," and not "you did."
2004-02-10, 8:42 AM #36
Dave Gorman (comedian) followed his horoscope for 30 days, while his twin brother went about as normal for the same 30 days.

After 29 days Dave Gorman's happiness rating (a scale based on money, love etc) was negative, whilst his brother's was quite positive.

On day 30 he used some bizarre logic to place a bet on the outcome of a golf game and won £5000 (or thereabouts). So in the end his happiness was higher than his brothers.

Funny guy is Dave Gorman.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-10, 8:44 AM #37
hehe Dave Gorman, I thought he show "I'm Dave Gorman" (Or something like that) was really funny.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-10, 9:12 AM #38
Horoscopes are vague enough for you to read what you want in them, but I think astrology is something good to have as a common interest with a spouse.

I know my sign and that's about all I know, so tell me who will go out with me! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

I mean erm...

------------------
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2004-02-10, 9:19 AM #39
That's kind of the point though. It's like a do-it-yourself inkblot test - by interpreting what you choose to see in your horoscopes, you learn something about your own inner workings.
2004-02-10, 11:45 AM #40
..er...ok. Convenient that that 'explanation' combats any attack on astrology I say.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

↑ Up to the top!