Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Views on racial profiling...
Views on racial profiling...
2004-02-12, 6:17 AM #1
I am writing a paper on it soon. I just wanted to see opinions. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Anyway, should racial profiling be considered as useful practice for the law, security and so on? It has its advantages and disadvantages imo.

Race profiling, I feel, is classifing people, who should be consider equal under the law, by their racial background. It is almost labeling certain people "watch out for." It shouldn't be completely alright for certain people to undergo questions and seaches, which can invade privacy and interupt their daily life, due to some person thinking those people have information or connections.

But racial profiling is a way to get information. If a person enters a country, he or she may contain information that can affect homeland security. And, if the government is looking for a dangerous individual, race can narrow the search down, This would be somewhat effective in a hetrogeneous nation.

Thoughts?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-12, 6:36 AM #2
As much as people want to call it racist, you do have to watch out for races. How many white, black and asians have been blowing themselves up over in the Middle East? Obviously if a certain race practices something unique as that, it's more or less going to be confined to that race. Maybe with some copycats in some other races...

Liberals can get their little panties twist about it, I don't care.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-02-12, 6:40 AM #3
Given that most of the terrorists we've identified so far are of both Middle Eastern decent and a particular religion, I think it would be foolhardy not to racially profile.

The same would apply if inner-city, or any other, crime was noticeably being commited by a particular group of people.

In other words, I think racial profiling is mostly a result of the actions of the group experiencing it.

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.

-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-02-12, 6:58 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
As much as people want to call it racist, you do have to watch out for races. How many white, black and asians have been blowing themselves up over in the Middle East? Obviously if a certain race practices something unique as that, it's more or less going to be confined to that race. Maybe with some copycats in some other races...

Liberals can get their little panties twist about it, I don't care.

</font>

... Except world-wide, most suicide attacks are carried out by non-Arabs and non-Muslims. Hoho
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-12, 7:02 AM #5
Racial profiling? Bad.

Taking into heavy consideration what country they are coming from? Slightly better.

Really now - just any muslim isn't going to blow themselves up, they're going to be muslim and coming from what country?

And even then, they exhibit certain behavior.

Racial profiling is a good idea on paper, but people are just too complicated for it to ever come close to being usefull.
2004-02-12, 7:05 AM #6
Terrorist:

[http://blargh.mine.nu/test/98/81076608612.jpg]

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-12, 7:23 AM #7
It'd very inconvenient for a whole bunch of people.

Here's an interesting first-hand account from a forum where I lurk and sometimes post:
Note: disgruntled person = a good deal of (im)mature/crude language

For your own good, I'd recommend that you skip the rest of the thread, since it just launches into a downward spiral that makes the Evolution vs. Creationism or Liberal vs. Conservative threads on this forum seem neighbourly.

[This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited February 12, 2004).]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-02-12, 7:39 AM #8
How could you even consider racial profiling? It's discrimination. Unbelievable.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-12, 8:02 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder:
It'd very inconvenient for a whole bunch of people.

Here's an interesting first-hand account from a forum where I lurk and sometimes post:
Note: disgruntled person = a good deal of (im)mature/crude language

For your own good, I'd recommend that you skip the rest of the thread, since it just launches into a downward spiral that makes the Evolution vs. Creationism or Liberal vs. Conservative threads on this forum seem neighbourly.

[This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited February 12, 2004).]
</font>

That guy's story is disgusting and reprehensible. The rest of the thread almost outdid it, though. Discrimination and insulting generalizations suck unless they're directed at Americans.

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited February 12, 2004).]

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-12, 8:24 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wuss:
Terrorist:

[http://12.220.246.6/cooker/terrorist.jpg]

</font>

Fixed. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

[The previous was a joke, and I in no way consider all Arabs terrorists]
------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.

[This message has been edited by GBK (edited February 12, 2004).]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-12, 9:02 AM #11
Yeah, it's a good thing; very good thing. On top of Arabs, we should also go after every white male living in the state of Montana to stop the bombings of universities.

Oh...wait..
Those bees all have paws!
2004-02-12, 9:04 AM #12
Did you watch Mad TV last night? They had some guy who grew a beard and it looked like Osama's, the town got all pissed.

Then his wife told him she'd leave him if he didn't shave it. He said he'd think about it after a shower - he comes out with a towel wrapped around his head all turban style, and says 'maybe I should practice some karaoke.' Then he's facing the window and the people outside are like 'look! he's making another video!'

Then he finally agrees to shave the beard and he comes out looking like Hitler - he salutes to call a taxi and everything.

Good times, poor dumbass just can't get it right.
2004-02-12, 9:12 AM #13
That show is OLD.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-12, 9:27 AM #14
Here are some terrorists...

[http://misc.nmgoh.com/unabomber.jpg]
There's our good friend Teddy, the unabomber.

[http://misc.nmgoh.com/rudolph.jpg]
Here's our good old pal, Eric Robert Rudolph, responsible for the Atlanta bombing, the bombing of abortion clinics, and the bombing of a lesbian bar.

[http://misc.nmgoh.com/osama.jpg]
Now, we all know Osama. Held responsible for two attacks on the Twin Towers, and encourages repeated attacks of a religious war. My, Osama, that's a nice watch you're wearing.

Of course, racial profiling would have only caught one of these guys. But, hey, one out of three isn't bad right? Oh, whoops. Almost forgot some of history's more well-known terrorists.

[http://misc.nmgoh.com/stalin.jpg]
Joseph Stalin

[http://misc.nmgoh.com/hitler.jpg]
Adolph Hitler

[http://misc.nmgoh.com/mccarthy.jpg]
Joseph McCarthy. Granted, he didn't kill mass amounts of people like the previous two, but he's a wonderful example of how the judicial system can be abused through terrorism if not closely monitored.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-12, 11:09 AM #15
...Stalin, Hitler, while horrible people, were not "terrorists" in the sense that the first three examples were. McCarthy wasn't by any stretch of the imagination. Whether you disagree with his policies or not, "terrorism" explicitly implies violence. McCarthy was a politician.

art
2004-02-12, 11:17 AM #16
I've figured it out!! All terrorists have hair!!

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-12, 11:28 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
...Stalin, Hitler, while horrible people, were not "terrorists" in the sense that the first three examples were. McCarthy wasn't by any stretch of the imagination. Whether you disagree with his policies or not, "terrorism" explicitly implies violence. McCarthy was a politician.</font>

By the definition of terrorism, the last three are terrorists - they used fear or threat/application of force and violence to enforce their ideas.

Unless you think the Rosenbergs weren't an example.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-12, 11:29 AM #18
Wrong. They all have 11 toes!

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-12, 11:44 AM #19
A terrorist becomes a brutal dictator when they get real power.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-12, 11:51 AM #20
The most interesting thing I saw was the wristwatch on Osama's wrist. Boy, for a religious symbol of martyrdom, serving only the will of one's god, that sure is a nice watch.

------------------
2004-02-12, 1:18 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
I've figured it out!! All terrorists have hair!!

</font>

You Win

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-02-12, 2:47 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
By the definition of terrorism, the last three are terrorists - they used fear or threat/application of force and violence to enforce their ideas.

Unless you think the Rosenbergs weren't an example.

</font>

...McCarthy did not threaten the application of force or violence to enforce his ideas... and one of the Rosenbergs was genuinely guilty of passing nuclear secrets to the Soviets. The fact that Ethel was mistakenly accused as being a part of Julius' dealings doesn't make McCarthy a terrorist.

art
2004-02-12, 2:49 PM #23
Quote:
The most interesting thing I saw was the wristwatch on Osama's wrist. Boy, for a religious symbol of martyrdom, serving only the will of one's god, that sure is a nice watch.

</font>

Well, when you're exploding things, killing people, and leading armies of fanatic terrorists, it helps to know the time. And I mean down the last milisecond. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-02-12, 3:31 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
... Except world-wide, most suicide attacks are carried out by non-Arabs and non-Muslims. Hoho</font>

I'm talking about when people throw a hissy-fit about scanning arabs and such at the airports. Liberals get worked up over something like that, and it's disappointing.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Jedigreedo (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-12, 3:41 PM #25
You forgot a terrorist.

[http://menzies.us/img/opinionbushjr.jpg]

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-12, 4:12 PM #26
^^^ [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]^^^

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-12, 5:05 PM #27
Don't you love it when people post pointless flamebait just to get a rise out of people?

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-12, 10:57 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
You forgot a terrorist.

[http://menzies.us/img/opinionbushjr.jpg]

</font>

I realize you're completely below any sort of rational debate (prove me wrong), but the only argument for Bush being a terrorist that I've heard is that he's used military force to further an agenda. There are two glaring problems with that definition - A) military force and terror are interchangeable, and by extension, B) all war-time leaders are terrorists. Bull****.

art
2004-02-12, 11:23 PM #29
How long did it take you to think that one up, Rod-Nog [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-13, 6:58 AM #30
Quote:

</font>

Well... I would have to agree that by that definition Bush is a terrorist. But like Sine said, not all leaders are terrorists.

You may not agree with Bush's agenda or his infatuation with war, but he is *not* a terrorist.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-13, 12:22 PM #31
I believe a terrorism is traditionally defined as the deliberate use of violent force against civilian populations to coerce a group to accept beliefs (generally those of a minority, as it is then far less credible to call the practitioners legitimate revolutionaries, heroes, etc.).

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-02-13, 1:50 PM #32
I think I'm gonna have to go with your definition.

I looked the definition up and it said approximately the same thing.
2004-02-13, 1:58 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How long did it take you to think that one up, Rod-Nog </font>

.00093782 milliseconds. Bush became preisdent and the world turns to crap. Terrorist.

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-13, 2:43 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
.00093782 milliseconds. The world is crap. Bush became president. People think he looks like a primate. Rational political criticism turns to crap. Terrorists are primates.
</font>

Fixed.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-13, 3:02 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyone with an IQ above .001 can see that Bush is a dumbass</font>

Fixed...again.

------------------
Contrafribularities
2004-02-13, 5:33 PM #36
Well, I already wrote the paper anyway.

(scratches head)

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-13, 5:42 PM #37
Rod-nog: Please, just quit posting period. You taunt and try to piss off the people that don't agree with you and take credibility from those that are far more mature and reasoning and hold the same views as you just by association. You pull this kind of pre-teen retardism in almost every thread I've seen you in. You are making Massassi worse for everyone.

for the love of God, can't you admins use that little "elastic clause" down at the bottom of the rules page?

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited February 13, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-13, 5:51 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Rod-nog: Please, just quit posting period. You taunt and try to piss off the people that don't agree with you and take credibility from those that are far more mature and reasoning and hold the same views as you just by association. You are making Massassi worse for everyone.
for the love of God, can't you admins use that little "elastic clause" down at the bottom of the rules page?
</font>

Wow, you really need to take a joke, nobody at massassi takes me seriously, unless I actually say I am being serious, you my angry little massassian need to calm down, you are makeing massassi worse for all of us with this bashing. Obviously Bush isn't a terrorist, he is just an idiot, simmer down now. I am not argueing with anyone..shh shh yes that it, calm down now..good boy..goooood. Also, I never taunt people. I try not to bash people, most of the time I just joke with people, and if they take it the wrong way then I apologize to them. "admins, arrest this man OMG he is a meanie!" In my opinion Bush is a ****tard, in yours he may not be. I posted that ".00093782 milliseconds." thing, then dormouse did his thing, and I continued the flow...Nobody was bashing anyone, everyone was all happy go-lucky...Then you come in and ruin the fun by bashing me. Tisk tisk. Shame on you.

(Also WTF? I almost never post on a debate thread.)

I am so sorry, my opinion of Bush is so un-educated and all that..just like the millions of people out there that hate Bush too, they are all just un-informed losers.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I realize you're completely below any sort of rational debate (prove me wrong), but the only argument for Bush being a terrorist that I've heard is that he's used military force to further an agenda. There are two glaring problems with that definition - A) military force and terror are interchangeable, and by extension, B) all war-time leaders are terrorists. Bull****. </font>

You, also need to take a joke..Once again I don't seriously think he is a terrorist..Wow, some people can't let the past go.

Can't we all just get along? If you don't like this type of "humor", if you think it's horribly un-funny, then just don't comment on it! It's so simple! Hold back all thsoe nasty comments, and make massassi a better place!

------------------
Contrafribularities

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-13, 6:09 PM #39
Yeah that's wonderful and all rod, but there's a point when humour becomes flamebait....and at that point don't be surprised if your post goes bye bye. It's a very fine line.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-13, 6:11 PM #40
That was no "flamebait"..

Bush just turned everything to crap... ..Clinton was an idiot too, but atleast he did some GOOD for the country.. I'm done here.

------------------
Contrafribularities

↑ Up to the top!