Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → WWII trivia
WWII trivia
2004-02-11, 2:27 PM #81
I think this is right :-)

31) Guadalcanal

32) Mark 2 Fragmentation Grenade

33) Juno

34) 5th and 6th Panzer Armies and the 7th Army. They were Army groups not divisions.

35) 72, until the snow melted when it came to 84 dead.

ZERO1979

------------------
AQUATAINE
-Played our first gig. We rocked, had the biggest crowd of the night and raised £270 for Epilepsy Action.

AQUATINE is: Jamie, Tom, Liz and Matt (2004)
Infamous and rented

ZERO1979
2004-02-11, 3:00 PM #82
35)What city was the second a-bomb suppose to be dropped on but wasn't due to bad weather?

36)How many causualties where estimated in the battle of Stalingrad?

37)What are the English conterparts to the rangers?

38)Why where there so many misdrops in the invasion of Sicily?

39)What does Swatztika mean in German(sorry for spelling)?

40)Who are the Shinler Jews? (just saw Shinler's List)

------------------
*Bjorn*
muhahahha FIRE!!!!!!!! :) :( >:) :D ;(.
hi
*Bjorn*
muhahahha FIRE!!!!!!!! :) :( >:) :D ;(.
hi
2004-02-11, 5:00 PM #83
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bjorn:
</font>

The Swastika isn't german...

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-12, 12:21 AM #84
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bjorn:

</font>

Not sure exactly what you mean by this. It doesn't really *mean* anything. It was a symbol of good fortune in many different cultures. When the Nazis were trying to come up with a design, a dentist actually sent in a swastika. Hitler took his design (Swastika in a white circle on a red flag) and reversed the swastika itself, giving it a more sinister connotation, and voila, they had their flag.

[Edit: As to the Sicily mis-drops - There were lots of reasons. Heavy AA fire which made the pilots break formation, heavy cloud-cover which made visual confirmation difficult, a shortage of navigators, high crosswinds, the fact that it was a night-time jump, the fact that it was the first jump into heavily-occupied territory, etc.]

[This message has been edited by Slug (edited February 12, 2004).]
2004-02-12, 12:29 AM #85
What was the Kamikaze tactic named after. And i don't mean the translation, i mean the previous derivation.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-12, 12:42 AM #86
I didn't know the answer to that question, Dormouse, but it intrigued me, so a quick google search revealed this

"It evolved from the great storm of 1281 that occurred on the eve of the Mongol's planned attack on Japan. This storm prevented the massive Mongol armada from certain conquest of Japan. Accordingly, the Japanese viewed this fortuitous storm as clear evidence of heavenly intervention. They attributed the salvation of the Empire to the Kamikaze"
2004-02-12, 6:12 AM #87
Gah..I missed pages of WWII trivia!

The easy stuff has probably already been asked...so maybe I'm out of luck..

Which allied aircraft was known by the Germans as the "Twin tailed devil"?

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-02-12, 6:18 AM #88
Slug is right. I beleive the actual translation is something like divine wind

Just a guess on CadetLee's question: P-38

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-02-12, 6:21 AM #89
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
Slug is right. I beleive the actual translation is something like divine wind

Just a guess on CadetLee's question: P-38

</font>

You got it..

Who was the top scoring German ace -- with 352 (!) kills?

------------------
woot!
2004-02-12, 7:56 AM #90
It couldn't have been Adolf Galland. He was on the west front.

If I recall correctly then he was on the east front. Hmmm.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-02-12, 12:31 PM #91
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CadetLee:
You got it..

Who was the top scoring German ace -- with 352 (!) kills?

</font>

Enrich Harttman? Something like that. In any case, his kill-count is a bit misleading regarding his skill, as for awhile, the skies over soviet territory were basically just a turkey shoot.
2004-02-14, 7:21 AM #92
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slug:

Enrich Harttman? Something like that. In any case, his kill-count is a bit misleading regarding his skill, as for awhile, the skies over soviet territory were basically just a turkey shoot.
</font>

Erich Hartmann.

True -- but still..352 is a lot, no matter how you look at it. To put it in perspective, the top American ace was Richard Bong with 40 kills. You can have his autograph for $1995 ( [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif] )! http://www.leisuregalleries.com/bongcheck.html <--

------------------

[This message has been edited by CadetLee (edited February 14, 2004).]
woot!
2004-02-14, 1:52 PM #93
Yeah, but look at other top german aces. Quite a few broke 200, a handful broke 300. It's hard to imagine that much of it at all was derived from superior skill to allied pilots. The soviets just had no dogfighters. Their entire air strategy was air->ground. Slow moving hulks that got torn apart by the messerschmitts.
2004-02-14, 2:26 PM #94
Swastika in German is Hakenkreuz.

What were the names of the Swedish volonteer companies in SS, and where did they fight?

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow

↑ Up to the top!