Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need a stealthy sneaky game.
Need a stealthy sneaky game.
2004-02-10, 2:23 PM #1
Much sneaking, crawling, jumping, and ducking is required. High-tech gadgets are preferred. SplinterCell will not do.
[edit]Age does not matter. Does not necessarily have to be 3D (has there ever been a 2D stealth game?). Please list ideas regardless of platform.[/edit]

Ready..... GO!

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 10, 2004).]
2004-02-10, 2:27 PM #2
Woodchip In Finger Molecule

Nightfire? Deus Ex?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">me: Deus Ex!
you: whats that
me: omfg
you: I just googled nightfire
me: Dont even joke
me: You are jokeing right
me: Nightfire... that bond game...
me: Deus Ex...
you: yeah, that's worthless
me: that awesome game
you: never heard of it</font>

0_o

Try Zork! You need to be sneaky to play Zork!
Ocorina of Time has it's sneaky moments [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
I don't no, go play every game ever made.

------------------
Contrafribularities

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 10, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-10, 2:29 PM #3
Alien vs. Predator when you are the aliens

------------------
*Bjorn*
muhahahha FIRE!!!!!!!! :) :( >:) :D ;(.
hi
*Bjorn*
muhahahha FIRE!!!!!!!! :) :( &gt;:) :D ;(.
hi
2004-02-10, 2:33 PM #4
Please Explain to this good man how Awesome of a game Deus Ex is..and how sneaky it is..or atleast how awesome it is.

Rainbow Six?
S.W.A.T?
Deer Hunter!
------------------
Contrafribularities

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 10, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-10, 2:36 PM #5
Oh, forgot to mention, R6 won't do either. Already exhausted that one. All three of them.

------------------
2004-02-10, 2:40 PM #6
Ghost Recon?
Pikmin :P
The Butlers guide to stealing socks.

------------------
Contrafribularities
2004-02-10, 2:41 PM #7
Try any of the Thief games.
2004-02-10, 2:47 PM #8
http://www.tacticalgames.net/

SOON TO BE SNEAKY! AND ALREADY SNEAKY!

Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Rogue Ops

Hitman and Hitman 2

------------------
Contrafribularities
2004-02-10, 2:51 PM #9
Deus Ex, OWNS. Trust me. You can pick it up at your local EB for 5-10, depending, and of course if you're savvy there's other ways. Cough. But pay for it--it's worth the money. Heck, I paid for it, and that has GOT to say something [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-10, 2:53 PM #10
Judging from the trailers on the site, it looks like just another first person shoot'em-up. :\

------------------
2004-02-10, 2:57 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Judging from the trailers on the site, it looks like just another first person shoot'em-up. :\

</font>

It's really nothing like quake games if that's what you mean. There's alot of sneaking and strategy involved in the game. Also the story is really really good.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-10, 2:58 PM #12
I'm downloading the demo right now. Keep them comming though, because I really have my doubts about this one. Doesn't look like the sort of sneaky-stealthy game I was hoping for...

------------------
2004-02-10, 3:00 PM #13
Oh it's great man, so realistic in a good way. You can sit and snipe with a pistol, or Sniper Rifle...I prefer the pistol, because as you'll find out, more silent. It's just exhilirating running through the game, and getting upgrades...good times. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-10, 3:04 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Oh it's great man, so realistic in a good way. You can sit and snipe with a pistol...</font>

Ermm... not to put down the game before I try it or anything, but that just... didn't seem right at all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-10, 3:07 PM #15
Red Faction has a few levels where you have to remain unseen.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-10, 3:10 PM #16
Quote:
I'm downloading the demo right now. Keep them comming though, because I really have my doubts about this one. Doesn't look like the sort of sneaky-stealthy game I was hoping for...

</font>

It can be. Or it doesn't have to be. You can go in, guns blazing, shooting rockets everywhere, or you can sneak past the guards and past robots. The game can be played pretty much any way you want.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-10, 3:10 PM #17
Quote:
Much sneaking, crawling, jumping, and ducking is required. High-tech gadgets are preferred. SplinterCell will not do.</font>

No-one Lives Forever 2. Sneaking + high tech gadgets + AWESOME.

It's also dirt cheap now, buy it. You won't regret it.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-10, 3:16 PM #18
Oh! I think I have that... or NoLF1, I don't know which... it came in a little game pack with my video card a couple of years ago. Never played it though.

------------------
2004-02-10, 3:18 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moneyobie:
Try any of the Thief games.</font>

Definitely.

Or play KOTOR as a scoundel and in stealth mode.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-10, 3:29 PM #20
A metal gear solid game or Hitman: codename 47. *nod nod* Those are just what you're looking for.

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-02-10, 3:30 PM #21
I played Hitman 2 once. It's not at all what I'm looking for. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-10, 3:31 PM #22
Quote:
Oh! I think I have that... or NoLF1, I don't know which... it came in a little game pack with my video card a couple of years ago. Never played it though.

</font>

....erm...yeah you might wanna [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] I've been trying to track down a copy of the first NOLF ever since I played NOLF2. The original is supposed to be even better I hear and one of the best FPS games ever.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-10, 3:42 PM #23
Quote:
(has there ever been a 2D stealth game?)</font>

Splinter Cell for the GBA [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Do you have a Gamecube? Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is coming out soon. Then again, you're probably looking for something right now. Hitman 2 is the best I can think of, but you've already played it, so... yeah.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-10, 3:47 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
....erm...yeah you might wanna [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] I've been trying to track down a copy of the first NOLF ever since I played NOLF2. The original is supposed to be even better I hear and one of the best FPS games ever.</font>

Yes.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-10, 3:47 PM #25
System Shock 2

/thread
2004-02-10, 4:31 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
....erm...yeah you might wanna [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] I've been trying to track down a copy of the first NOLF ever since I played NOLF2. The original is supposed to be even better I hear and one of the best FPS games ever.

</font>

It's all truth. Every. Single. Word.

Correction- Play it. Now. Then buy the second one.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-10, 4:43 PM #27
Rogue Ops if you have a PS2 or Xbox... should be able to find it for $15-$20

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-10, 4:45 PM #28
They're releasing Metal Gear Solid with MGS2 technology on GameCube supposedly, that will be an awesome stealth / action game.

Thief has been said.

Commandos? Different somewhat, but kinda a stealthy game.

Beyond Good and Evil (PS2) had some good stealth levels.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-10, 4:45 PM #29
Hitman 2 was crap compared to the first one.... That's all I'm going to say. /end defense of an awesome game

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-02-10, 4:59 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:

Beyond Good and Evil (PS2) had some good stealth levels.

</font>

also on Xbox, Gamecube (i think), and PC

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-10, 8:11 PM #31
I second Beyond Good & Evil.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-02-11, 2:36 AM #32
Ok - hear ye, hear ye: Deus Ex is AWESOME! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Basically, you choose how your mission is done and the various choices you make impact the game later on - you end up with some consequences that matter, and some that don't.

Although the game path is fundamentally linear, the way you play the game alters the flow of the various interweaving storylines so that the story weaves in/out and criss-crosses at generic central points within the level [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

You can stock up on a huge arsenal of weapons so that you effectively become a walking tank, or you can play through it with a silenced pistol and accompanying sniper rifle (silenced), hack into computer terminals, pick locks off with speedy precision, throw grenades to act as awareness-events and draw attention away from yourself, as you dash for an exit...

Anyways - enough shameless plugging [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] - if you haven't guessed, I really like this game - the gameplay is fantastic, but it's the flow/impact and power of the story that is excellent - for me it's the perfect blend of everything I look for in a PC game and (aside from JK) the only one that I have literally spent weeks at a time playing (at one point: 21:00pm until 5:30am for a week and a half solid [and I still haven't finished it]). Interesting side note: at this point, I decided it would be best to try and wean myself off this addictive game - I'm pleased t say that my "rehabilitation" is currently successful, but goodness only knows what could happen if I slip and the CD should find it's way back into my drive.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

-Jackpot

Another side note - maybe I *really* ought to get out more... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
But two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-02-11, 3:43 AM #33
Thief 2
Commandos 2
Deus Ex (NOT Invisible War... DeusEx > InvisWar)
any D&D game as a rogue [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] (BG2, NWN, etc... even KotOR)

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-11, 7:58 AM #34
I don't think I could recommend Metal Gear Solid highly enough [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-02-11, 8:01 AM #35
Correction, have you ever played Theif / Theif 2? I need an answer now! This is THE perfect game for you. Seriously, just stop looking right now and get thief. It's the answer to your stealth game craving. It's THE stealth SNAEKING game. No other game gets within 10% of the effectiveness of theif. Seriously, if you've never played theif, DO IT NOW.

I mean, how could you go this long and not even.. getr..r=a rsa\,sgdph 'flnhamb./
0_o

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-11, 8:06 AM #36
lol @ Free

how could i have forgotten NetHack? ;D
http://www.nethack.org
play the TTY version... the graphical versions are lousy. (and the tty version is original)

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-11, 8:15 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
Correction, have you ever played Theif / Theif 2? I need an answer now! This is THE perfect game for you. Seriously, just stop looking right now and get thief. It's the answer to your stealth game craving. It's THE stealth SNAEKING game. No other game gets within 10% of the effectiveness of theif. Seriously, if you've never played theif, DO IT NOW.

I mean, how could you go this long and not even.. getr..r=a rsa\,sgdph 'flnhamb./
0_o
</font>

Pure truth. Though he could have gone on much further about it. I am playing through Thief 1 gold again, it is mindbogglingly diaboliciously sneaksy and evil and fun. The things you can do to amuse yourself in that game are endless, especially if youre somewhat sadistic and easily amused. Setting up gang wars is always source of great amusement, particularly when it involves Hammerite fanatics and zombies. Thief 2 expands the scope even more with various equipments and bigger places and such.

Hitman.. has its amusement value. Like piano-wiring a cook, stealing his clothes, and then bringing the soup out to your target and then when he's eating slit his throat from behind with the meat-cleaver from the kitchen.. but usually [for me at least, probably being way to much of a Thief addict], the ai in hitman was way twitchy and inconsistent and so generally no matter how hard i tried to be stealthy and inconscpicuous it turned into me busting out the eagle and shooting everyone in the face..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-11, 8:42 AM #38
Strangely Delta Force: Land Warrior has a HUGE stealth factor. In single player you can choose to snipe with loud long range .50 cal sniper rifles, but enemies will come running for you. OR you can snipe with the almost, if not, silent Silenced PSG-1. Sure you will need practice to know how much Higher you have to aim, but it is VERY fun! ALso, you can probably get it for like $5.

Multiplayer is even better, as you are palying against real humans you have to use great amounts of tactics to sneak into their base and capture the flag or destroy their equipment.

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-02-11, 8:47 AM #39
Quote:
...Age does not matter. Does not necessarily have to be 3D (has there ever been a 2D stealth game?).</font>

There was an old DOS game called Hard Nova... It was a 2D mercenary game... Stealth was definitely reccomended in many areas (given that many groups of enemies could easily kill you, even if your caharacter was at level 200), although the "stealth" part was no where near as cool as could be had in 3D games... Also, the game was a bit short...

As for actual "stealth", apparently, a half-dozen other beat me to saying "Thief"/"Thief2". I think that would definitely fit your requirements PERFECTLY... You have limited resources, and countless ways of getting past obstacles (as well as countless was of disposing of bodies). It's also the most seamless integration of technology and middle ages/fantasy stuff (even more seamless than Final Fantasy).

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-11, 10:45 AM #40
Well you people have gotten me really pumped up about Theif [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Demos for this game are apparently pretty hard to come by, though. :\

------------------

↑ Up to the top!