Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best Music in a Game
Best Music in a Game
2004-02-16, 3:05 PM #41
MGS Sons of Liberty Music = win. It's sooooooooo good. If any of you liked the Speed soundtrack, listen to MGS2.

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-16, 3:07 PM #42
LotR games (the ones based on the movies. Woo Howard Shore!)
Any Mario Game (Especially the original theme. It's also great for cell phones)
Any Zelda Game (I'd say WW is my favorite, followed by OoT)
Earthbound (Definitely one of my favorite game soundtracks)

I'm tired, so that's all I can think of. I'm suprised no one else mentioned the LotR games (and if someone did, I obviously missed it).

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-16, 3:27 PM #43
MechWarrior II
Score for Wing Commander III and IV

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-16, 4:25 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
I don't care. I only d/l games that are no longer sold by the companies that originally released them. (Older 16-bit console games)

</font>

just so you know... the companies technically don't care if it's no longer sold especially nintendo

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-16, 4:26 PM #45
You guys have all forgotten the Donkey Kong series.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-02-16, 4:27 PM #46
The original Deus Ex music was great.
2004-02-16, 4:30 PM #47
Dark age of camelot [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
Dues Ex

------------------
<DAOC+TOA= im not sure>
2004-02-16, 4:42 PM #48
Only ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned..

Street Fighter 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Outlaws
2004-02-16, 4:46 PM #49
Unreal tournament and Mario 3.

The end.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com

[This message has been edited by NoESC (edited February 16, 2004).]
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-16, 4:48 PM #50
Unreal. That game has some seriously classy tunes. Each and every one of them enhances the environment you're in, and is suited perfectly.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-02-16, 4:49 PM #51
Whintt, you play Deus Ex? well wadda know.

I still say FF:CC and Windwaker PWN you all.

------------------
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-16, 5:38 PM #52
Deus Ex
StarCraft
WarCraft 3
Diablo 1 & 2
Timesplitters 2
PlanetSide

... and that's all I can think of.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-02-16, 7:17 PM #53
I completly forgot the Mechwarrior 2 series. Good stuff, all.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-02-16, 7:23 PM #54
One game.

Final Fantasy VIII.

Thats it. Period. It's over.

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-02-16, 7:53 PM #55
Here's my line-up:

1) Call of Duty
2) Quake (1-3a)
3) Knights of the Old Republic
4) Freelancer
5) Unreal Tournament (entire series)

I don't recall the composer's name for the CoD soundtrack, but every time I hear that Pegasus Bridge theme I get all choked up. The music is very moving and inspiring; it creates an incredible feeling of realism. Then there's Nine Inch Nails and their awesome work for Quake 1, then I believe Sonic Mayhem did most of the Quake 2 soundtrack except for the opening theme, which was done by White Zombie (or just Rob Zombie). Sonic Mayhem continued to work with id software with their music for Quake 3 Arena; the track on The Very End of You being my favorite.

Then there's Jeremy Soule's score for Knights of the Old Republic which is absolutely Star Wars, though in some tracks it sounds a little too much like Neverwinter Nights. Either way, it was an incredible new score for a Star Wars game. The last two I don't really have any comments for. I just really enjoy Freelancer's area music, as well as Unreal Tournament's action inspired tracks.

------------------
"And I listen for the whisper of your sweet insanity, while I formulate denials of your affect on me. You're a stranger, so what do I care. Vanish today, not the first time I hear, all the lies..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2004-02-17, 12:14 AM #56
MGS + MGS2 (The Best Is Yet To Come and Naomi's theme were extremely moving in the situations they were used in)
KoToR
CoD

And it's not a PC game (at least, I don't think it is), but Street Fighter 2 as well.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."

[This message has been edited by LividDK27 (edited February 17, 2004).]
2004-02-17, 3:31 AM #57
Max Payne 2
Deus Ex
TES Morrowind
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 1 & 2
Outlaws
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Ragnarok Online

------------------
"I like pie alot.
Thats why i look like a pie.
With banana cream."

-Unknown artist

[This message has been edited by Terra111 (edited February 17, 2004).]
2004-02-17, 4:37 AM #58
Let's see...

Legend Of Zelda games- I once downloaded a symphonic version of the theme and Gerudo Valley theme played by the London Symphony. It was awesome.

And I'm suprised no one mentioned DOOM. That had some of the best music I thought. Especially the last missions on the first and second episode.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-02-17, 9:28 AM #59
I'm incredibly shocked that no one has mentioned Halo. What the hell is the matter with you people. I want a point form list chop-chop!

------------------
TI-MAH!
2004-02-17, 9:32 AM #60
Someone did mention Halo. Press Ctrl-F to search for text next time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

What about Alex Kid in Miracle World for SMS??!? Has anyone else noticed the similarity between this game's music and the title track from Radiohead's "Kid A"?

Conspiracy...ok, maybe the similarity isn't that great, but both songs give a happy but slightly disturbed feeling
------------------
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.

[This message has been edited by Simblimke (edited February 17, 2004).]
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
2004-02-17, 9:59 AM #61
Since we're also mentioning console game here... I'd have to add Sonic 3 & Knuckles - NOT to be confused with Sonic 3. Sonic 3 is an incomplete game, with only 6 zones, half as many special stages, and you can only play as Sonic or Tails. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the completed game, with another 8 zones, and most of the levels are HUGE. The music in the later levels is much better than that in the original 6 zones, except for the Ice Cap Zone...

Also, all of th Final Fantasy games had excelent music... Although I'd probably say that VI had the best, followed by VIII and IV.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited February 17, 2004).]
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-17, 10:23 AM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Simblimke:
Someone did mention Halo. Press Ctrl-F to search for text next time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
</font>

Feh, my bad, but I'm still waiting on that list, now chop-chop!

------------------
TI-MAH!
2004-02-18, 5:49 AM #63
Well, I liked all the music from all squaresoft games I.E. SoM and SMRPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Also, most nintendo music is good espescially the Zelda series. Oh, and lets not forget the Total Annihilation tracks...

------------------
  • A.K.A Spartanpigg @ MSN Zone
  • FUGE0> if i suddenly type in 911, trace my IP and have the paramedics show up at my door, with all these eggs, and smoking, it might very well kill me
  • MY OWNAGE
  • A.K.A Spartanpigg @ MSN Zone
  • FUGE0: if i suddenly type in 911, trace my IP and have the paramedics show up at my door, with all these eggs, and smoking, it might very well kill me
  • Screenshots of various degrees of JK ownage
2004-02-18, 6:28 AM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Terra111:
TES Morrowind
</font>

Hell ****ing yes.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-02-18, 7:05 AM #65
[*]Grim Fandango: [url="http://www.grimfandango.net/index.php?section=downloads&page=music"] Pure class [/url]. Pete McConnell pulled off a strange mélange of genres. Mariachi, Jazz, panpipes... It's all there. Good stuff. [*]Outcast: Go [url="http://www.lenniemoore.com/sounds.html#Outcast"] here [/url] and [url="http://www.outcastii.net/eng/index_eng.php?url=download.html#musiques"] here [/url]. Get the main theme to start with. Fantastic orchestral and choral work. Good use of ominous brass for the combat music and dreamy strings. Also get the track labeled Oriental Spirit. [*]Outlaws: So, it rips off Ennio Morricone. It rips him off far better than most composers rip off cheap-o pumping Hans Zimmer scores for counter-terror games. This score oozes of style and menace. It does what it should, it supports the game and adds tension. Suffers a bit from Morrowind-itis, only two ~4 min tracks per level, one of which is usually a tense clanging echoing kettledrum-y one. [*]Mafia: most of it is good old authentic Django Reinhardt (which means it hasn't been composed for the game). Has a few fitting orchestral tunes, though they suffer from Morrowind-itis (very good, but re-used a whole bunch since there isn't that much music). [*] Anarchy Online: It had a very neat layering system that used segments. It pretty much cut and pasted ambient background music like you do if you have looping measure .wavs in E-Jay or Fruity Loops. The music didn't end and then restart. For example, it might start out with an ambient beat that slowly grows, then it would insert a few flourish-measures between cuts of a melody. I've never heard anything like it really. [*]MDK2: Good furious pounding [url="http://www.jesperkyd.com"] Jesper Kyd[/url] beats for the two more action based characters. Nice light-hearted pizzicatto 50's sci-fi tunes for the Doctor. [*]the Homeworld games: Oriental-ambient. Very nice indeed. [*]Little Big Adventure 1 & 2: Light-hearted. Quirky. Bizzare. Just like the games. [This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited February 18, 2004).][/*]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-02-18, 7:08 AM #66
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder:[*]Little Big Adventure 1 & 2: Light-hearted. Quirky. Bizzare. Just like the games.</font>

Seconded on 2.

------------------
"I like pie alot.
Thats why i look like a pie.
With banana cream."

-Unknown artist
2004-02-18, 7:24 AM #67
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
The NeverhoOd
</font>

Quoted for truth