Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Indiana Jones 4 delayed...or stalled...
Indiana Jones 4 delayed...or stalled...
2004-02-19, 2:08 AM #1
..according to The Force.net.

I'm not sure if I really want to see a gray haired 70 year old man triasping through jungles and caves anyways....

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-19, 2:11 AM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snake-Eyes:
I'm not sure if I really want to see a gray haired 70 year old man triasping through jungles and caves anyways....</font>

Seconded.

------------------
"I like pie alot.
Thats why i look like a pie.
With banana cream."

-Unknown artist
2004-02-19, 3:26 AM #3
Its too bad, because apparently everyone except GL loved the script. Some people who had access to it were quoted as saying that it was 'exactly where the franchise needed to go.'

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-19, 3:57 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
Its too bad, because apparently everyone except GL loved the script.</font>

Tongue. Bite. Blood. Ow.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-19, 4:38 AM #5
GL didn't like the script? Wow. Must have been a good script then.

Aww. Lucas thinks he's a writer.
2004-02-19, 4:45 AM #6
I don't think the problem is a 62 year old man galavanting about in the jungle as much as it's a 60 year old man who's lost touch with filmmaking.

It probably didn't have enough CG characters. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited February 19, 2004).]
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-19, 5:00 AM #7
Or enough Jar Jar Binks.

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-19, 5:04 AM #8
Harrison Ford still has it. George Lucas does too, just not in the same way that he once did. People change...tastes change...but that doesn't mean that they should just retire.

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-02-19, 6:20 AM #9
It was called The Last Crusade for a reason. I mean, they rode off into the friggin' sunset. The resolution was perfect and the Indiana Jones series does not need to continue.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-19, 6:24 AM #10
All good trilogy's come in 5.

------------------
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-19, 7:44 AM #11
Ya... either make the movie or dont, but dont let George Lucas ruin the script. Oh now it makes sense. He didnt want Indy to rape Star Wars 3 in the box office.

------------------
please

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited February 19, 2004).]
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-19, 7:47 AM #12
Geez, guys...

Get off the freaking Lucas bashing podium for once in your life
2004-02-19, 8:23 AM #13
^ You say that like the last movies he's written were good..
2004-02-19, 9:10 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
I don't think the problem is a 62 year old man galavanting about in the jungle as much as it's a 60 year old man who's lost touch with filmmaking.

It probably didn't have enough CG characters. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Lucas wants to replace Ford with a CG Indy. That must have crossed his mind a least a dozen times [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-19, 10:30 AM #15
fourwood:

I enjoyed both the prequels...if that's what you mean. I was entertained... Sure they had their weaknesses, but I was entertained. End of story.

That's fine people don't like Lucas, but these assaults are just f'in rude...especially for what is it...5 YEARS NOW since TPM came out?!

Also, because TPM/AotC uses a lot of CGI, why is it that everyone complains about Lucas and CGI.

Did Lord of the Rings get slammed for it's CGI's? I know LotR had real sets, and built a real town...

But Lucas did that too for the prequels. Everything wasn't CGI.

What do you want? Lucas to build Coruscant?

I'm just sick and tired of hearing these stupid complaints about Lucas...
2004-02-19, 10:36 AM #16
It's because they've built these movies up in their heads for so long, and had their own perfect fanboy visions of what they should be, that they were sorely disappointed when they were way off target. They need someone to blame for their own overhyping, and God knows it's all George's fault, after all, he's the one investing his millions into these films so that he can complete his own vision.

Lucas is in business, he's making a product. If you don't like the product, or are disappointed with the direction its heading, do it yourself, and do it BETTER.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-02-19, 10:36 AM #17
But if you liked the prequels you aren't a real Star Wars fan. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Long live Jar Jar Binks! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-02-19, 11:09 AM #18
The only thing I wanted was a puppet. I didn't want ILM (I grew up with ILM in my family, my sister was engaged to one of their lead designers for like 6 years) putting tons of computer generated stuff into the works. Yoda was a puppet. Not a floaty guy on a hovercar. The only instance when he should've been CG was his flippity fight scene with Dooku. CG backdrops are one thing, but it's impossible to get good acting out of characters who are interacting with somebody who isn't really there. The reason LotR doesn't get bashed is because Golem was ON THE FREAKING SET THROUGH EVERY SCENE THE CHARACTER WAS IN. The actual actor who did the voice also tore himself up and provided the instances in which the character thrived. So the acting was believable. George should've stuck with using puppets and using CG to accentuate them, not using CG as primary characters.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-19, 11:11 AM #19
I haven't heard anything about this at all except "They're doing an Indiana Jones 4." and now, "It's being delayed."

Not real promising... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-19, 12:03 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth J:
It's because they've built these movies up in their heads for so long, and had their own perfect fanboy visions of what they should be, that they were sorely disappointed when they were way off target. They need someone to blame for their own overhyping, and God knows it's all George's fault, after all, he's the one investing his millions into these films so that he can complete his own vision.

Lucas is in business, he's making a product. If you don't like the product, or are disappointed with the direction its heading, do it yourself, and do it BETTER.

</font>

Irony is calling people with criticisms of Lucas "fanboys" whilst flaming them.

We have issues with the prequels, deal with it. We have every right to. You liked them? Good for you. That's your right too. You don't see us getting pissed off and giving you hell for liking them do you? No. So who exactly is exhibiting the fanboy behaviour here?

Lastly, the "go do it yourself if you think you can do better" argument has always been a last resort attack. Of course we are not filmmakers so can't go do better, but that goes for any movie. Even Gigli.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-19, 12:06 PM #21
It is George Lucas's product, and he can do with it what he likes. Unfortunatly.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-02-19, 12:10 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Did Lord of the Rings get slammed for it's CGI's? I know LotR had real sets, and built a real town...

But Lucas did that too for the prequels. Everything wasn't CGI.

What do you want? Lucas to build Coruscant?

I'm just sick and tired of hearing these stupid complaints about Lucas...
</font>

That's because LotR are great films. Lucas doesn't know what he's doing with CGI while Jackson does.

If Star Wars had great actors that could *act* and a good story...I know LotR is adapted from a book, but still.

------------------
2004-02-19, 12:11 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Of course we are not filmmakers so can't go do better, but that goes for any movie. Even Gigli.</font>

I will not stand by and allow you to mock that movie!

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-02-19, 12:19 PM #24
Quote:
do it yourself, and do it BETTER.

</font>

Lucas would sue anyone who tried.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-19, 12:55 PM #25
Yes, that "You don't like it? DO IT BETTER!" thing is the most stupid, retarded and idiotic argument I've ever heard. Man it irritates me. Gee, you think Pintos are crappy cars - BUILD A CAR YOURSELF! Because obviously the quality of any product must be rated against your own personal abilities!

Get real. TPM and AOTC were crappy movies. The only reason I paid to see them in theaters was because the original trilogy was good. That's it. I don't own either movie, and - frankly - I feel no pressing need to get them. As a consumer, I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Lucas can't write. The new films would be much better if other people wrote them. What I think you people seem to forget is that Lucas didn't write or direct ESB or RotJ - the best films in the series. Also, I think you people are forgetting how utterly terrible the original Star Wars script was before 20th Century Fox demanded about 10,000,000 changes. I'll give you a hint: R2D2 and C3PO were drunk humans.

Almost as absurd as suggesting we do better.
2004-02-19, 2:07 PM #26
Unlike Star Wars, LOTR incorporated CGI to the point where it wasn't noticeable. There's a scene in FOTR where they are setting out from Rivendell. They pass some large ruins on a hill. CGI, but incredibly realistic. LOTR also used set and models to keep things realistic. STar Wars seems to just throw images at you and say "look what we can do!" Lucas has allowed the special effects to overwhelm the picture. LOTR had amazing CGI on par with Star Wars, but never let it come before the story. That's the difference.

------------------
"Buildings that we have created to be aesthetically pleasing are slaughtering birds."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-02-19, 2:23 PM #27
What exactly is Indiana Jones 4's plot?
2004-02-19, 2:34 PM #28
Indiana gets old and dies. And the dog outlives him.

------------------
2004-02-19, 4:37 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Of course we are not filmmakers so can't go do better, but that goes for any movie</font>

Jaiph get mad smash bad man. JAIPH SMASH!

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-19, 5:21 PM #30
lmfao. priceless.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-19, 5:27 PM #31
This could go on forever....

------------------

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-19, 6:33 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
If Star Wars had great actors that could *act*...</font>

It's bursting with these. They just don't get the chance.
2004-02-19, 6:46 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:

</font>

He updated SW with CGI because conventional methods did not look like his personal vision.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-02-20, 8:38 AM #34
You're all missing my point. My point was that you are all bashing ONE MAN, George Lucas, for everything negative that happens. It's not all his fault. I'm not perfectly satisfied with everything that's happened in the new movies, but I'm not going to lay blame on just one person, and condemn him to hell for it. The article that says Indy 4 has been canceled didn't even name Lucas as the one holding back on the script. But naturally, it's all his fault, because he made a couple bad movies.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2004-02-20, 8:54 AM #35
Global Warming, World Hunger, War: George Lucas

------------------
2004-02-20, 10:44 AM #36
Darth J, when it comes to the SW movies, Lucas gets his way on everything. If something sucks, it's his fault.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-20, 10:52 AM #37
Quote:
If you don't like the product, or are disappointed with the direction its heading, do it yourself, and do it BETTER.

</font>

Car makers are in a business producing a product. Lets say some car company makes a car with a flaw that kills people. I could never possibly hope to make a better car design myself, I dont have the training. Does this mean I'm not allowed to complain or pass my own personal judgement?

I know this example is almost completely unreleated to movies, but it helps to show my point. You're forgetting that a product implies that it has an intended audience, who has every right to pass judgement on it. If we're not allowed to pass judgement on George Lucas's work, he would never have made it widely available for us in the first place.

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited February 20, 2004).]
2004-02-20, 10:55 AM #38
Quote:
You're all missing my point. My point was that you are all bashing ONE MAN, George Lucas, for everything negative that happens. It's not all his fault. I'm not perfectly satisfied with everything that's happened in the new movies, but I'm not going to lay blame on just one person, and condemn him to hell for it. The article that says Indy 4 has been canceled didn't even name Lucas as the one holding back on the script. But naturally, it's all his fault, because he made a couple bad movies.

</font>

I've read several articles that mention Lucas as the one holding back on the script. Heres one that includes an interview with the writer of the script itself:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17037 (WARNING: some language)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
"The short and simple version of the INDIANA JONES 4 situation is that after more than a year of working closely with Steven Spielberg developing the story, I had completed a screenplay that Steven loved and was hoping to shoot in July of this year. However, George Lucas had issues with the script and slammed on the brakes in order to rework the material himself. There is talk of enlisting another writer. Given that George is the producer, but even moreso because of their long and close friendship, Steven is deferring to George in this situation.

It is now up to them to try to find a common ground regarding the film. I wish them luck and hope their efforts result in something they're both excited about shooting. What, if anything, might remain of my work at the end of the process is anybody's guess, assuming the film even gets made at this point. As for me, I'm disappointed, but I'm putting the experience behind me and moving on with my life and my own projects."
</font>

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited February 20, 2004).]
2004-02-20, 11:00 AM #39
At least Speilberg won't let the project turn to a pile of crap.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-20, 11:30 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
At least Speilberg won't let the project turn to a pile of crap.

</font>

You've got to be kidding.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!