Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Black History Month
Black History Month
2004-02-17, 2:43 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've never heard of Indians getting as mistreated as blacks have. The next closest in my opinion are Muslim Arabs.</font>

Broken treaties. Smallpox blankets. Trail of Tears. Indian Removal Act. Yeah, Indians. Quite your whining. It's not like you were ever mistreated.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Your saying that a minority of whites caused harms to black so it doesn't make sense that others should pay: Everyone in America knew about slaves, yet they did nothing about it.</font>

While I'm sure it's quite comforting to believe that, it's not true. Prior to the Civil War, there were quite a few anti-slavery groups protesting practices in the South. Frederick Douglass details a number of these people that helped him and his wife escape. I've read the personal accounts of slaves who managed to sneak out of the South and into the North, avoiding that ridiculous "refugee slave" legislation.

What the Hell do you think Bleeding Kansas was about? What about the Missouri Compromise of 1820? Hell, the majority of the North went to war over the issue of slavery.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not doing something to help mitigate a problem is almost as bad as the person doing it. Its like if I see someone killing your mother and running away, and me not saying anything to anyone, wouldn't you see me as bad? Wouldn't you wanna beat my *** cuz I didn't tell anyone until years later when someone else told you about it? Same thing applies here.</font>

I'm not saying that people who perpetrated those crimes should be protected from due process. I'm more than willing to pay to have people like that kept in prison. I'm not willing to pay a black person for something that I am not responsible for. My racial color is not my fault.

I found your attempts to demonize white people and decry the plight of the black man at first humorous, but now it's getting offensive and really irritating. You'd like to imagine that you're still suffering the effects of your ancestor's horrible situation, sitting at home, in front of a computer, with an internet connection.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Now, if you say that generations of your family was beat/raped/denied education, sure I wholeheartedly agree that you should recieve special care and aid. I'm sure you could apply for that, as long as you had proof, and would be accepted.</font>

Were you raped? Were you beaten? Were you denied education? Did I rape you? Did I beat you? Did I deny you education? No? Then tell me why I should be held responsible for the actions of those long-dead or those of criminal nature?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wolfy - Invasions and such don't count. War is a political tool. Just like the saying, all is fair in love and war.</font>

...because, of course, no one suffers in war. If "all is fair in love and war," then the issue of slavery should be just fine. Slaves were simply people that had been conquered by another African tribe and sold. Hey, it's a result of war - it's just a political tool.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do you think its coincidence that minorities need more help in school today? Or do you think that we're just dumber than white people?</font>

Really? Because I know a couple of Filipino guys, and there are a number of black people at my college. They seem to be doing just fine. I know a few Asians, too, and they seem to be doing just fine. Strange.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Oh, and if whites never enslaved blacks, do you think this argument would be going on right now?</font>

Who said whites never enslaved black people? I'm not saying that slavery was right, that the political oppression and social exile of them was right. What I'm saying is that I did not do anything to you. Why should I have to pay for something that I didn't do?

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-17, 2:51 PM #42
This is a total basketcase. If you try to take into account all of the wrongs in human history - recorded or otherwise - every single human being would owe compensation to every other single human being. Nobody here has been enslaved, neither have your parents or grandparents. Nobody here has owned another person, neither have your parents or grandparents. Acting like you deserve compensation or special recognition for something you weren't even alive for, never experienced, and would never otherwise talk about is absurd.

Don't like the idea of prejudice? Too bad. Everybody experiences it, even "whitey". If some of you want a taste of it right here on Massassi, try heading on over to the RD forum and claim to be an atheist. That's always good for a few laughs.

The 'African-Americans' were enslaved by white landowners, right? So who fought in the civil war? The war happened for a wide variety of reasons, some economical and political, but it will always be remembered as a humanitarian mission (just like WW2). Don't the white people who fought in the civil war deserve recognition for 'freeing' you? What about the white politicians who listened to the black civil rights movement over the past century? (not that claiming white people owe something is the least bit racist to begin with, right? :rolleyes [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

And on that note, I really hate the PC hyphenated terms. It's just a sad way for people to create a segregatory title for themselves without overtly drawing attention to their skin color, where there shouldn't be a label at all. Gee, I wonder if several so-called 'civil rights' organizations aren't just trying to perpetuate stereotypes and resentment in order to further their own political agendas?

So no, I don't see why any particular race deserves a special month in recognition. It would be better given to all civil rights movements - racial, women's suffrage or otherwise, as well as humanitarian movements. These deserve to be remembered altogether.
2004-02-17, 4:14 PM #43
Take some courses in western and world civilisation.

Basically it boils down to this:
Everyone Enslaved Everyone

The africans were enslaving africans for centuries before the Muslims showed up, then the africans helped the Muslims slave africans, and the africans slaved the Muslims even. Then Europeans showed up and guess what the africans helped the muslims help the white people enslave africans who enslaved eachother and the muslims.

I'm still waiting for my reperations check from my Irish/Scottish ancestors being oppressed by the British for so long.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-17, 4:32 PM #44
Me too. I'm also waiting on the Russians.
2004-02-17, 4:36 PM #45
Guys, guys, this is America. We don't care what happened in other countries. Your arguments are therefore rendered void.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-17, 4:42 PM #46
Wolfy, those are meant to show how absurd the argumnets for reperations are.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-17, 4:44 PM #47
I was satiring a previous post on this thread. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] If you'll check my other posts, you'll see that I agree with them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited February 17, 2004).]
2004-02-17, 4:50 PM #48
Ya this is America, we care about other peopel so much we plant WMD so we can get another countries oil :rollseyes:

When I was saying this is america, I was simply implying that what we do about the past i our country has nothing to do with what happened overseas. If the brits did some **** to your ancestors go see Prime Minister Blair

my typing sucks, forgive me for i am on a compaq...

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-17, 4:55 PM #49
And yet you still have to answer why I should compensate you for something that I never did and never happened to you.

------------------
2004-02-17, 4:59 PM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Em Playa:
Many blacks are lazy because after the civil war, they couldn't go to school and learn... they could either do menial work or do nothing.
</font>

Em Playa, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I no longer agree with your arguments, and may God have mercy on your soul.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-17, 5:08 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
And yet you still have to answer why I should compensate you for something that I never did and never happened to you.

</font>

Let me rethink that

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited February 17, 2004).]

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-17, 7:32 PM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">1.) Sine - I believe that because blacks have faced generations in which they were prevented from equal oppurtunities in education, they deserve scholarship money. In the end, poor white folks were better off than the average black person. The poor white man got accepted before the black man. This was true until just a couple of decades ago.</font>

My father and his father went to sub-standard - average at best - urban schools in New Orleans. They were Jewish. The only reason my dad is as successful as he is today is because he had a stable family and he worked hard to get where he is. I don't recall anyone in his family *****ing about Christians keeping them down.

The government can't create stable families and make kids work hard. That's behind the so-called need for Affirmative Action. Improving inner-city schools is absolutely necessary, but it's only part of the problem.

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited February 17, 2004).]
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-17, 11:27 PM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Em Playa:
Many blacks are lazy because after the civil war, they couldn't go to school and learn... they could either do menial work or do nothing.

</font>

And that has anything to do with today because?

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-18, 12:06 AM #54
Sometimes when I look in the mirror and really concentrate, I can convince myself that I have a purplish hue.

Think about that, guys. Think about that.

------------------
Or then not. --FastGamerr/Nikumubeki
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-02-18, 12:27 AM #55
So what's this :gbk: thing, anyway?

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-02-18, 12:30 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LividDK27:
So what's this :gbk: thing, anyway?

</font>

A wonderful dream that never came true.

The GBK smiley (GBK's face in smiley size) that should have been added to the smiley database, from where it could have been summoned with ":gbk:".

------------------
Or then not. --FastGamerr/Nikumubeki
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-02-18, 12:47 AM #57
Actually, as the people who came up with the idea had originally envisioned, :gbk: = [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
2004-02-18, 5:41 AM #58
the arguemnts using other countries as examples are not invalid...
we are demonstrating our point because this debate *should* be about the issue, not the direct rammifications (sp?) or implementing something other than affirmative action (or taking down the program)

if we were to debate that, though, we could use the same arguments as examples and it would STILL be completely valid.

and thank you Wolfy for sarcasm [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
sarcasm > *

------------------
why is a raven like a writing desk?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-20, 2:18 PM #59
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/20/armenian.settlement.ap/index.html

Too lazy to type a rebuttal but here's somethin for you guys to check out

------------------
My Tracks
2004-02-20, 2:21 PM #60
That confuses me. How is New York Life at all realted to Turkey and Armenians being killed 80 years ago?

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-20, 3:14 PM #61
I guess a bunch of Amernians took out life insurance policies with the company...?

------------------

↑ Up to the top!