Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Conan O'Brian = Racist?
Conan O'Brian = Racist?
2004-02-13, 3:12 PM #1
Basically, Canada is condemning Conan O'Brian's "racist" show. Get the full story here.

I think those people simply don't understand insult commedy. If it were racist, he'd actually be serious. Using Triumph (the Insult Comic Dog) is a far cry from serious. What a load. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-13, 3:13 PM #2
Whaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaa!

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-13, 3:14 PM #3
This isn't the first time that something like this has happened. A huge fuss was raised over Stern a few years back.
2004-02-13, 3:28 PM #4
Hmm...Conan.

Hmm...Canada.

Ooh! Conanda! YES!

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-13, 4:28 PM #5
...you realize that all of Canada isn't linking arms and saying, "We hate you, Conan!" Just like every other country, Canada has thousands of conflicting interest groups.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-13, 4:40 PM #6
Well, I'm Canadian and I normally enjoy Conan's show, but I have to say I found this offensive. If he had made equivalent comments about arabs or American Jews or nearly any other ethnic/cultural group, the American media undoubtably would have lynched him by now.

If you don't get what I mean, try and form an equivalent insult about Jews, post it here, and see if it doesn't get edited out.

------------------
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
2004-02-13, 4:55 PM #7
Ok. Be offended, Just don't make fun of any other country or ethnic group at all, ever.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-13, 5:01 PM #8
If you don't like it, don't watch it.

------------------
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
2004-02-13, 5:18 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EasyCheese1000:

</font>

I wish more people could understand that concept.........

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-13, 5:25 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EasyCheese1000:

</font>

/me sips beer

Yep..

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-02-13, 5:30 PM #11
Is no-one going to take me up on my challenge to form an equivalent joke insulting another ethnic group then?

I didn't say I was personally offended, I said I found it to be offensive. Don't be confused, I don't have a problem with anyone poking fun of Canadians. Actually, that's as much a Canadian pastime as making fun of Americans is in America. (we have our own insult comedian shows) The problem I had with the show was that he didn't put down Canadians in general, he went after a specific group. (French Canadians, incidentally a group from which I don't happen to be a member)

Does anyone disagree that this should be considered offensive in the same way as if a Canadian comedy show aired something derrogatory about African Americans or Hispanics?

If you can honestly say you disagree with the above, I will consider it clearance to post a parody of it actually happening for your consideration, and if you think it's inappropriate then you shouldn't have read it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Simblimke (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-13, 5:33 PM #12
the government and network(isn't it called CHUM? Desertpike will like that) should have known what they were getting when they invited Conan up.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-13, 5:39 PM #13
Chum. heh heh.

------------------
Dont press the red button. Whatever you do, DO NOT press the red button......you just pressed the red button didnt you?
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2004-02-13, 5:55 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Simblimke:
Is no-one going to take me up on my challenge to form an equivalent joke insulting another ethnic group then?

I didn't say I was personally offended, I said I found it to be offensive. Don't be confused, I don't have a problem with anyone poking fun of Canadians. Actually, that's as much a Canadian pastime as making fun of Americans is in America. (we have our own insult comedian shows) The problem I had with the show was that he didn't put down Canadians in general, he went after a specific group. (French Canadians, incidentally a group from which I don't happen to be a member)

Does anyone disagree that this should be considered offensive in the same way as if a Canadian comedy show aired something derrogatory about African Americans or Hispanics?

If you can honestly say you disagree with the above, I will consider it clearance to post a parody of it actually happening for your consideration, and if you think it's inappropriate then you shouldn't have read it.
</font>

Oh ****. Here we go again. Someone's making mountains out of anthills.

Practially every comedy show or show in particular pokes, prodes, jabs, and quips about Blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Arabs, Indians, etc. They really do not intend to be outright offensive. They were trying to be humerous. And oftentimes they satire about what is true in the world.

Laugh. Smile. Go "ha ha." But if you can't stand it, don't watch it as others pointed out. Don't ruin my fun.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-13, 5:57 PM #15
Haha, Triumph strikes again.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-13, 5:58 PM #16
Simblimke makes a point. Most comedians(at least in america) don't make fun of other races unless it is to build up to a punchline against their own.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-13, 6:05 PM #17
Fine. But don't tell me you have a problem with this. It's time for a little cross cultural translation.

Before:
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog -- a hand puppet that is a regular on the show -- said to a Quebecer: "You're French, you're obnoxious and you no speekay English." It told another: "I can smell your crotch from here."

After
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog -- a hand puppet that is a regular on the show -- said to a Mexican immigrant: "You're Mexican, you're obnoxious and you no speekay English." It told another: "I can smell your crotch from here."

Before
O'Brien's team were also shown replacing street signs in the province with those that read "Quebecqueer Street" and "Rue des Pussies."

After
O'Brien's team were also shown replacing street signs in the primarily Jewish area of New York with those that read...

should I continue?

------------------
2004-02-13, 6:21 PM #18
You know what, I'm Canadian, and I have no problems with the french in quebec, But I found his show a little funny.

Their was really only one guy shown who was offended by the comments, One of the guys they talked to was laughing at everything he said, even after they got the translator out on the streets.

If you think it's racist to the french Canadians, fine, you have your own opinions, but think the T.O is regreting spending about 1 mil to get Conan up here for a weeka and are just looking for a way to get that money back.

I mean c'mon, he had the C.N Tower and the space needle mud wrestle and then a race with a mountie tripping the space needle, thats funny!

I really don't know what to say on this other then yes, they are making mountains outta mole hills here, It's almost as dumb as the black woman who sued the airliner for saying "Eniee meanee minee moe, pick a seat we gotta go" when the woman could not find a seat she liked. She sued the airliner for a racial comment as that was suppose to orinally have been in the olden days of slavery "Eniee minee moe, catch a nigger by the toe" I would never have know this and she ment it as a way to clam the passangers down and maybe give them a laugh, not racial slur was intended but they found one.

it's also late... i'm heading to bed

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-02-13, 6:47 PM #19
I'm not saying they should have censored it. I just hope that people are aware when something they see on TV is objectionable. If you recall my first point was that if a Canadian comedian had said something similar about an American minority, CNN just might of made it a field day, and questioned the U.S. government's refusal to demand an apology.

Grant you made the suggestion that since the French Canadians that were in the skit didn't seem offended, then it was all in good fun. Would you also say that therefore the French Canadians who watched it on television don't have the right to feel violated? Of course they wouldn't air a take if the person appeared severely offended, that doesn't mean the average person in Quebec wouldn't be insensed if you went up to them the way Conan did.

Maybe it's just comedy, but I honestly think that with a little intelligence they could write funnier material and not have to second-guess whether it's malicious and bigoted. Maybe it isn't, I don't know. Should a line ever be drawn?

Anyway, this guy I know is thinking of sending a draft for a skit he wrote as an application for a writer's position at SNL. It goes something like this:

------------------

[This message has been edited by Simblimke (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-13, 7:15 PM #20
</me watches anyway>

------------------
flirbnic has a signature
"i've seen alot of kids (i'm 35) come on here and ask for advice about girls. look at potato here. he makes a tape and sings to a girl. some girls will laugh in your face, some behind your back and then some might love you for it. potato is a man. a man with a girl. -Darth Evad
2004-02-13, 7:26 PM #21
i really don't care.

things like this are exactly why the only tv i watch is home improvement and BBC News [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-14, 2:46 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
At one point in the show, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog -- a hand puppet that is a regular on the show -- said to a Quebecer: "You're French, you're obnoxious and you no speekay English." It told another: "I can smell your crotch from here."
</font>

How exactly is that funny?

I mean, clever and witty parody is one thing (like the one where Triumph is at the Star Wars convention...hee hee hee..) but that's totally just going for the 'oh my you can't say that to people!' shock chord. He could have said that to anyone and it'd be just as (un)funny.

Unless there's some deep and meaningful crotch-related history to French Canadians that I've been woefully ignorant of?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-14, 3:04 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you don't like it, don't watch it.</font>

Doesn't really apply... I mean, if you HEARD about me saying something racist to someone else the day after I said it, does it make the comment less racist cuz you didn't see/hear it the day I said it?

Anyways, Conan O'Brien has always picked on Canada so I don't see why they're so mad now.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-02-14, 3:23 AM #24
Ummm Triumph The Insult Dog offends EVERYONE.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-02-14, 4:09 AM #25
I don't really like this conan in canada thing. If the crowd didn't boo everytime ANYONE mentions anything somewhat related to the U.S. it would be ok.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2004-02-14, 4:13 AM #26
I'm pretty sure the point of Triumph is to be offensive. On purpose. That's why he's funny.

------------------
Juztyn
Taking credit for: Canyon Stream, Higher Ground, The Space Between, Death's Dome (mlp3), bits of JKRPG, and the entire Showcase forum, damnit!... Visit SWGalaxies.net for the latest Star Wars: Galaxies information!
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2004-02-14, 4:31 AM #27
Maybe it's just me, and all, but since when are the people of Quebec an ethnicity? What Conan did wasn't racist in the least. What he was equivalent to making a joke that all Missourians are red-neck hick trailer trash. I'd disagree, but I wouldn't cry, "Racist!"

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-14, 6:11 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TwistedSoul:
Ummm Triumph The Insult Dog offends EVERYONE.</font>
Exactly true. The phrases used in Canada are more or less the same as ones he uses other times & places.

Why is this group of Canadians acting like they didn't expect to be insulted by a puppet called "Triumph, the insult comic dog." That's like expecting Hot Tamales not to be hot.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-14, 8:32 AM #29
If you're looking for a show that rips on all races... watch Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn. No races are "safe" on there... they make fun of whites, blacks, jews, arabs, french, english, canadians, italians, irish, asians.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-02-14, 9:21 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Maybe it's just me, and all, but since when are the people of Quebec an ethnicity?
</font>

Since they were French Canadian?
2004-02-14, 11:56 AM #31
Eh...bad wording on my part. Since when do French Canadians differ so much from any other white person that they constitute an entirely different race?

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-14, 12:07 PM #32
Yeah. White people making fun of white people is not racism.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-14, 5:14 PM #33
They are not condeming them they are just disassociating themselves from him to cover their own butts.

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!

[This message has been edited by MechWarrior (edited February 14, 2004).]
2004-02-14, 6:06 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
...you realize that all of Canada isn't linking arms and saying, "We hate you, Conan!" Just like every other country, Canada has thousands of conflicting interest groups.

</font>

This is what I said to my grandmom when she showed me the article in the newspaper this morning.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-14, 8:27 PM #35
Did anyone see the Christmas South Park episode where the gang goes to Canada, and its just like the Wizard of Oz.

Yea, well for those who've seen it, Scott is the type of person who would have protested like this. We all know what Scott is (if you saw it)...

Also, the Newfoundlander cracked me up. "I've got too see the prime minister. He's made sodomy illegal, eh."

------------------
2004-02-15, 11:25 AM #36
I'm a dutch-american wolfy, and I won't stand for you calling me white anymore. Racist.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-02-15, 11:26 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Yeah. White people making fun of white people is not racism.

</font>

Yes it is. Get a dictionary.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-02-15, 2:50 PM #38
That's pretty funny. I gotta say I sympathize with those offended, it's an odd double standard we have in America with regard to parody of countries and ethnicities.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-02-15, 3:08 PM #39
How so? When comedians make fun of America or a certain state, there's no public outcry of racism.

------------------
2004-02-15, 3:16 PM #40
Okay. Populate an entire state with only, oh, Jewish people. Now make fun of the people who live in that state.

Haha, it's not racism because you're just making fun of people who live within a political boundary!

↑ Up to the top!