Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tax breaks? Give me a ****ing break...
Tax breaks? Give me a ****ing break...
2004-02-18, 2:32 PM #1
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=NW_1-T&oldflok=FF-RTO-robtz&idq=/ff/story/0002%2F20040218%2F1613513196.htm&sc=robtz&photoid=20040208WAS01_WAS00

How can our nation support this man and his administration? We went from.. what, a 500 billion dollar surplus to a 7 trillion dollar defecit, and rising? This man wants to send people to space? This man wants to rebuild a foreign nation? This man wants to REDUCE TAXES?

Maybe you increase the economies productivity, but you certainly don't help the government when you have negative seven trillion dollars...

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-02-18, 2:47 PM #2
Hey man, there may be money beside the WMDs, so cross your fingers!

------------------
TI-MAH!
2004-02-18, 2:50 PM #3
Whatever.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-18, 2:54 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Insipid:
Hey man, there may be money beside the WMDs, so cross your fingers!

</font>

ROFL

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-18, 2:55 PM #5
Fantastically run nation - now you can see why I like England? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...

[This message has been edited by Gee_4ce (edited February 18, 2004).]
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-02-18, 2:56 PM #6
No, you see, if we find WMD, we don't tell anyone. And then we jurry rig them to not work, and then sell them on the black market. Insta$$$

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-18, 3:03 PM #7
If he were raising them, there'd be somebody else to complain about that.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-18, 3:14 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eversor:
How can our nation support this man and his administration? We went from.. what, a 500 billion dollar surplus to a 7 trillion dollar defecit, and rising? This man wants to send people to space? This man wants to rebuild a foreign nation? This man wants to REDUCE TAXES?

</font>

No. The national debt didn't go from $500 billion for $7 trillion since Bush became president. Get your fact straight.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-18, 3:20 PM #9
That's a 7 trillion dollar national debt, not budget deficit. The national debt has been rising since before you were born, even during many years in which there were budget surpluses.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 18, 2004).]
2004-02-18, 3:27 PM #10
I voted for him, but he has repeatedly pissed me off.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-02-18, 3:31 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
I voted for him, but he has repeatedly pissed me off.
</font>

The amnesty deal has cost him much points with me.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-18, 3:36 PM #12
Chances are I won't vote for him this time around. The oil prices have gone through the roof because the oil business is funding his campaign, my tax return this year dropped over $300 (and dropped over $600 since he took office) while making the same amount, and I think the guy is getting dumber.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-02-18, 3:38 PM #13
Also, depending on the state of the economy, budget deficit is not necessarily a bad thing. But I dont really know enough about the current state of the US economy to comment.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-18, 3:45 PM #14
Oil prices fluctuate. National debt increases. Yes, Bush makes some really bad decisions, but guess what so have all the other presidents, and a lot of the things people yell at Bush for Clinton did /exactly/ the same just he wasn't as up-front about them. Don't give the president more credit than he is due, despite popular belief he is not the single most powerful, making every decision, supreme seat of ruling that he is often made out to be. If you want to talk economy, look at Alan Greenspan, he has a much greater direct influence on that. If you want to talk oil look at like exxon or opec for qod's sake, president Bush doesn't precisely have a little spigot in his office controlling oil-flow and prices.

And frankly he's going to get my vote, unless any of the other candidates wind up actually making some sort of effort to prove that they have any sort of competence coherence or idea of what they want to are going to and can in fact do.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-18, 4:26 PM #15
Yeah, we went from a $200 billion plus surplus to a $350 billion plus deficit in the three years of Bush's administration. Furthermore, the deficit is caused by inflated discretionary spending and a drastic decrease in tax revenue due primarily to tax cuts.

If for no other reason I'd vote against Bush because of his fiscal madness.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited February 18, 2004).]
2004-02-18, 6:07 PM #16
The government can exist in debt. Not that that's necessarily a good thing.

Better him than Kerry. I've been doing alot of research into his past and such. The man disgusts me, especially in regards to vietnam.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-18, 6:26 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
The government can exist in debt. Not that that's necessarily a good thing.

Better him than Kerry. I've been doing alot of research into his past and such. The man disgusts me, especially in regards to vietnam.

</font>

Wahh Wahh Waah

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-18, 6:29 PM #18
I'm just a disinterested Canadian here, but weren't the main reasons for the crumbling economy the popping of the Internet bubble and 9-11? Not exactly things anyone can do much about, even the President...

------------------
"Well, it could be worse -- it could be windy!" -popular Canadian saying.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2004-02-18, 6:30 PM #19
Complaining about tax cuts? That's a new one.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-02-18, 6:36 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krig_the_Viking:
I'm just a disinterested Canadian here, but weren't the main reasons for the crumbling economy the popping of the Internet bubble and 9-11? Not exactly things anyone can do much about, even the President...

</font>

Yes.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-18, 7:00 PM #21
Krig: Yes, but we're talking about the deficit, to which the sucky economy is only marginally related. Bush's irresponsible domestic and international spending combined with idiotic tax cuts do not a healthy budget make.

oS: Share with the class. Passive-Aggressives Anonymous is here to help.
2004-02-18, 7:55 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krig_the_Viking:

</font>

Que "Bush planned that attack as an excuse for bad things to happen during his presidnency" wack jobs.

------------------
Restless 2

Sanctum de la Mort
2004-02-18, 7:58 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:

</font>

Ehhh... Bush isn't exactly an angel either when it comes to the 'past' department. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I'm curious though, what's so bad about Kerry's past, especially in regards to Vietnam?

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-19, 2:15 AM #24
IMO, anyone can come who is not Bush.

------------------
"I like pie alot.
Thats why i look like a pie.
With banana cream."

-Unknown artist
2004-02-19, 5:01 AM #25
Thank you Ubuu and Tera111, for those refreshingly insightful and mature comments.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited February 19, 2004).]
2004-02-19, 5:10 AM #26
Um...Did I have a comment?

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-19, 5:44 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
Um...Did I have a comment?
</font>

Quote:
Wahh Wahh Waah
</font>

Only by the very loosest definition of the word..

------------------
2004-02-19, 5:52 AM #28
Actually I made a noise in response to Brads outcry.

Any ways, Brad gets all defensive and emtional when it comes to people bashing his conservative brothers. Nothing but a reminder to chill.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited February 19, 2004).]

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-19, 5:53 AM #29
Somehow, you were able to add your own opinion to this discussion while subtracting for its quality. How strange.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-19, 5:54 AM #30
I didn't do ****. If you ignore it, the post still has its quality.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-19, 5:56 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Better him than Kerry. I've been doing alot of research into his past and such. The man disgusts me, especially in regards to vietnam.</font>

Gee, oS, I never picked you as a bleeding heart liberal that would support a guy who scrimped on his national service to avoid vietnam over a guy who did two tours of duty, earning 3 purple hearts. Make love not war!
2004-02-19, 5:58 AM #32
I definitely won't be voting for Bush. His economical and financial idiocy aside, I think the Patriot Act and his stupid $1.5 billion dollar "pro-marriage" legislation should be sufficient evidence as to why he doesn't belong in the oval office.

Of course, the fact that he put Ashcroft as Attorney General is enough to make me vote against him.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-19, 6:03 AM #33
I do tend to agree with you Wolfy, but to re-state, what other remotely viable alternative candidates are there..

------------------
2004-02-19, 6:09 AM #34
I agree Wolfy.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-19, 6:59 AM #35
Quote:
Actually I made a noise in response to Brads outcry.

Any ways, Brad gets all defensive and emtional when it comes to people bashing his conservative brothers. Nothing but a reminder to chill.
</font>

Well, we're sick of being bashed and trashed just for being conservative.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-19, 7:40 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Krig: Yes, but we're talking about the deficit, to which the sucky economy is only marginally related. Bush's irresponsible domestic and international spending combined with idiotic tax cuts do not a healthy budget make.</font>
You, sir, are horribly misinformed. The state of the economy is directly related to how much tax "revenue" the government brings in. When people stop making money, the government stops making money.

I agree that the patriot act and every single one of his governmental agency creations are sheer lunacy. He has gone against virtually every Republican philosophy. Republicans believe in cutting taxes and cutting spending. His enormous governmental programs and hand-outs drive me up the wall. We should be trimming the government to the absolute minimum, not increasing it. So yes, his decisions to not only cut taxes, but also increase government spending are way out there. I don't think the answer is to raise taxes back, I think the answer is to cut the spending and cut all the unneeded government programs.
2004-02-19, 8:43 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
Thank you Ubuu and Tera111, for those refreshingly insightful and mature comments.

</font>

Well, i certainly wouldnt vote for him. IMO, keeping warmongers out of that certain white building is a smart thing to do.

------------------
"I like pie alot.
Thats why i look like a pie.
With banana cream."

-Unknown artist
2004-02-19, 10:33 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Quote:
Krig: Yes, but we're talking about the deficit, to which the sucky economy is only marginally related. Bush's irresponsible domestic and international spending combined with idiotic tax cuts do not a healthy budget make.</font>
You, sir, are horribly misinformed. The state of the economy is directly related to how much tax "revenue" the government brings in. When people stop making money, the government stops making money.

I agree that the patriot act and every single one of his governmental agency creations are sheer lunacy. He has gone against virtually every Republican philosophy. Republicans believe in cutting taxes and cutting spending. His enormous governmental programs and hand-outs drive me up the wall. We should be trimming the government to the absolute minimum, not increasing it. So yes, his decisions to not only cut taxes, but also increase government spending are way out there. I don't think the answer is to raise taxes back, I think the answer is to cut the spending and cut all the unneeded government programs.[/B]

Ding ding ding.
I'm hoping he'll do that in his second term given he won't need to worry about re-election. Right not he's making all of these absurd concessions to democrats. We really need to cut the programs as well as the taxes, and I'm hoping he does that next.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-19, 11:17 AM #39
I'm not sure I'm going to vote for Bush anymore. If Edwards becomes Kerry's running mate, then I'll vote democrat. But of course, that will mean nothing in this super-conservative fascist state of Utah.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-19, 11:44 AM #40
No matter what your opinions are, MY GOD MAN, how do you take care of a $7,000,000,000,000 national debt?
The US is a very strong country with so much to offer as far as the economy (and other countries economies) is concerned, but how do you get rid of a debt like that? It will take many presidential terms with each and every succeeding president on board with a very strong program.
And a very strong program means people are going to be pissed off at all the cuts AND the tax increases (sorry Brian et al, you HAVE to increase taxes to get out of something like that).

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.

↑ Up to the top!