Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Something's amiss...
Something's amiss...
2004-02-21, 8:45 PM #41
I don't like anything. So there.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-21, 10:33 PM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Matt: What do you know, you listen to metal. :P
</font>

Oh yeah!? Well you listen to REM!!!!

QED, sucker! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-02-22, 12:19 AM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
What do I like... Metal, Rock, bands like Tool, Metallica, Korn etc. At least members of these bands have talent. Rappers have no talent compared to other musical genres. They just ramble, Its not even singing...</font>

You have no idea what ou are talking about. There are plenty of rppers out there that have tlanet to spare. Get away from the cloned mainstream rap and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, most people who don't like rap tend to assume that all rap sounds like the crap that gets radio time. That's far from the truth. More people need to listen to Deltron

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-22, 12:46 AM #44
Wow, some people here are really big headed.
I generally listen to rock and metal music, but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to listen to or, god forbid, enjoy rap music as well.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-22, 1:02 AM #45
I really like the song and the video clip is terrific.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-22, 1:11 AM #46
I thought it was OK at first, but then people started singing it out loud in lessons and it got annoying real fast.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-02-22, 4:11 AM #47
i like rap and hiphop, somebody mentioned atmosphere further up the thread... awesome band.

if you're into hip-hop, check out Sage Francis, they're an awesome band!

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-22, 4:18 AM #48
According to my knowledge Sage Francis is just one guy

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-22, 5:26 AM #49
If rap takes no talent then you could do exactly what the rappers do right?

Let's hear you try some of Twista's songs or write some Eminem lyrics...

------------------
My Tracks
2004-02-22, 5:51 AM #50
I used to get rides from my friend who ONLY listened to Outkast. I've become so sick of them that any opinions of mine are completely biased.

But that said, the only rap group I really like are Dead Prez, because they really hate whitey, and that's funny, because I feel vaguely threatened when I listen.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-02-22, 10:03 AM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
Oh yeah!? Well you listen to REM!!!!
QED, sucker! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
</font>

Oh yeah, I have one word for you... here it comes...
Cher.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What do I like... Metal, Rock, bands like Tool, Metallica, Korn etc. At least members of these bands have talent. Rappers have no talent compared to other musical genres. They just ramble, Its not even singing...</font>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Korn's music based off a combination between rap and alt-rock?

I can understand you not liking rap, but saying they have no talent is horribly off base. I personally don't think very highly of the bands you mentioned, but I won't say any more about them than that.
Like it or not, rap is here to stay. If you're unwilling to give it a chance, that's your loss.

*shudder* Imagine if someone combined rap and actual metal.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-02-22, 11:21 AM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:
Matt: What do you know, you listen to metal. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

I do too, but I like it.

------------------
Napalm is nature's toothpaste.
2004-02-22, 11:25 AM #53
dry gear? somebody rapping over heavy metal?

machine head?
one minute silence?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-22, 11:32 AM #54
Yes, it's been done

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-22, 11:38 AM #55
THE MUSIC YOU LIKE IS OPINION. There is no good, or bad music. It all comes down to opinion, while my opinion may be that rap isn't very good, Molgrew's opinion may be that rap is great. Its all a matter of opinion and preference, and it is useless to debate why you think your music is good or bad. You can say, "I dont like that", and thats not flaming, or flame-baiting, its merely opinion. But when person 2 comes along and starts to say "You are an idiot for not liking that, this is when it has now flaming. The really ironic thing, is when person 2 acuses the said person 1 of flaming... heh

Yeah.. Music - Opinion
Get over it

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-22, 11:45 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
Although rap artists do a good job of bustin' out their rhymes, I find the flat tone of their "singing" to be irritable.
I also find the basic rhythm and tempo of most rap songs to be annoying.

</font>

That is my main gripe too. It just doesn't sound good. Lyrics can be meaningfull, surely, but it's all about presentation. I simply can't stand the lack of melody and harmony in the way lyrics are 'sung' in rap stuff. The fact that most rap has ebonics tones to it also leads me to dislike it. Really, Ebonics drives me nuts. If you're going to speak a language, speak it right. Or atleast close...

And the rhythms often feel too repetative in rap, perhaps because of the sheer simplicity of it. Often it's just a beat and/or bass. I was brought up with music that had more than that, so I miss it. Perhaps those that weren't don't, but I can't speak for anyone but me.

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-02-22, 11:48 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Korn's music based off a combination between rap and alt-rock?

I can understand you not liking rap, but saying they have no talent is horribly off base. I personally don't think very highly of the bands you mentioned, but I won't say any more about them than that.
Like it or not, rap is here to stay. If you're unwilling to give it a chance, that's your loss.

</font>

Eh... I never really thought of Korn being rap/rock... So they have like 2 songs with Ice Cube and Nas... Theres the only rap I see in Korn.

I suppose you are right about the talent thing... I guess I havent really heard a whole lot of rap... Where I work though, EVERYONE there loves to listen to a local station that plays rap. I hear all this stuff, outkast, gunit, nelly, eminem etc...
I dont suppose though that these would happen to be any of the talented rappers you speak of...

And how can you not think highly of Tool? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] they own.
2004-02-22, 11:57 AM #58
I don't like the rap that gets radio play either because a lot of it isn't that good and the good stuff that they play gets overplayed.

Not your mainstream rap

Also, look up Deltron - Battlesong and Virus for all you nerd hip hop desires. Del's Nightmare for all your hatred of the music industry.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited February 22, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-02-22, 1:46 PM #59
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Quote:
Originally posted by dry gear the frog:

</font>

Eh... I never really thought of Korn being rap/rock... So they have like 2 songs with Ice Cube and Nas... Theres the only rap I see in Korn.
[snip]
And how can you not think highly of Tool? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] they own.[/B]

I haven't actually heard a Korn song, but I've just heard about nu-metal being rappish.
Tool is quite talented, but I don't think their as good as everyone says.
I do like some of their songs like The Grudge and Schism. I find the song Lateralus annoying for the same reason a lot of people find rap annoying.

I think rap has a good future ahead. It's still pretty young, but eventually it'll be used in ways that a lot of you might like.

------------------
All you need is love.
2004-02-22, 2:27 PM #60
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
THE MUSIC YOU LIKE IS OPINION. There is no good, or bad music. It all comes down to opinion, while my opinion may be that rap isn't very good, Molgrew's opinion may be that rap is great. Its all a matter of opinion and preference, and it is useless to debate why you think your music is good or bad. You can say, "I dont like that", and thats not flaming, or flame-baiting, its merely opinion. But when person 2 comes along and starts to say "You are an idiot for not liking that, this is when it has now flaming. The really ironic thing, is when person 2 acuses the said person 1 of flaming... heh

Yeah.. Music - Opinion
Get over it

</font>

Thank you very much.
[http://mink.weezel.net/~tristan/vProfile/gbktext.php?text=IT%20IS%20AN%20OPINION.&lite=255&bold=0&italic=0&ul=0]

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-02-22, 2:43 PM #61
Im glad someone read my post

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-22, 3:51 PM #62
You're very much welcome. I highly believe everything you said. I also think threads that end up like this are among the dumbest things on earth.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-02-22, 5:55 PM #63
Actually, I would argue that there is a such thing as bad music. A lot of it is grey area though.

For the sake of peace, I won't speak more on what I think is bad music.

------------------
All you need is love.
2004-02-23, 10:53 AM #64
Even though this thread is destined to die anyway, I think I should say more about good and bad music because I changed my mind.
I know I'm not the authority on good and bad music, so I changed my mind about what I said last night. Probably nothing people listen to here is bad music.

An untrained monkey banging on a piano is bad music.

------------------
All you need is love.
2004-02-23, 12:41 PM #65
I hate that song with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.

↑ Up to the top!