Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bullet Proof Glass?
Bullet Proof Glass?
2004-03-03, 2:36 PM #41
Ah. So you needn't replace windshields with Lexan. Actually it would be nice because someone can beat on it without leaving much of a mark, unlike safety glass.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-03-03, 4:45 PM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Though, i should mention that Lexan doesn't scratch easily (as previously stated above).</font>

Even GE rates its uncoated Lexan products as only providing fair protection against abrasions.

Unprotected Lexan scratches much more easily than glass, which is why Lexan windshields, glasses, etc. usually have a scratch-resistant coating. Even then, poor maintenance and incorrect cleaning can destroy the coating and damage the Lexan.
2004-03-03, 5:39 PM #43
I've done a fair bit of handling and machining with Lexan, and it certainly scratches easily. A coin can leave marks in it.

------------------
2004-03-03, 10:47 PM #44
If we could just get ED-209's to unfold from the trunk as a security alarm there'd be no problem. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-03-03, 11:07 PM #45
That wold rock! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-03-03, 11:31 PM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
If we could just get ED-209's to unfold from the trunk as a security alarm there'd be no problem. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]

</font>

...except for when they go crazy and kill everyone in sight. That could be a problem.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-03-04, 1:26 AM #47
If they're all dead, they still can't steal your car. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-03-04, 4:19 AM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
I've done a fair bit of handling and machining with Lexan, and it certainly scratches easily. A coin can leave marks in it.

</font>

I meant in geneneral, you have to apply a lot more pressure to scratch lexan then plexiglass...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Argath:
Unprotected Lexan scratches much more easily than glass, which is why Lexan windshields, glasses, etc. usually have a scratch-resistant coating. Even then, poor maintenance and incorrect cleaning can destroy the coating and damage the Lexan.</font>

Any company that sells unproteted lexan shouldn't be selling it in the first place. All the companies we delt with added the protective finish. I've never seen a company that didn't...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon'C:
Yeah, and? I said it doesn't do anything more than normal safety glass, which would be true.... you can't shatter safety glass. You have to cut through it and then peel it back, which is a fairly intensive process. Windshields are designed to stay in one piece, and I'm pretty sure new[er] cars use safety glass for all windows.</font>

Not true. First of all, Tempered glass is also a safty glass. Give it a critical strike anywhere (or just set it down on it's side on cement) and it'll shatter into billions of pieces. The pieces shatter in such a way that they won't cut you (which is why your side windows of your car are made of tempered glass). Secondly, while working for the glass company, I went to a number of stores after a shooting where they had laminated glass and the bullets left a nice hole in the glass. All laminated glass is, is two thin pieces of tempered glass with a laminated film in the center holding them together. If it's shot, it still shatters, but instead of thepeices flying all over the place, they stay attatched to the laminated film.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED

↑ Up to the top!