Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nvidia'a next card
Nvidia'a next card
2004-03-06, 4:18 AM #1
Anyone want to speculate when it's coming? Do you think it will make it by Doom III? My TNT2 is getting anxious...
2004-03-06, 5:04 AM #2
O_o, yesum, my TNT2 is also waiting for the grave to be replaced

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-03-06, 5:07 AM #3
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040303053212.html

------------------
[="They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a gun for you and cock it too?" - Eminem=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-03-06, 5:29 AM #4
Forget about Nvidia, whats ATi's next card?

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-03-06, 6:11 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
Forget about Nvidia, whats ATi's next card?</font>

Blasphemy!!

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-06, 6:13 AM #6
I am really disapointed by ATI's driver quality, namely in Linux. Whereas Nvidia's linux drivers worked out of the box and were up in 1 minute.
2004-03-06, 6:46 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
I am really disapointed by ATI's driver quality, namely in Linux....</font>

If you think their Linux drivers are bad, wait till you have to instal their Windows drivers!
Ever tried to install a TV Wonder? I have. And "try" is the word. The drivers are broken, and ATI has known it for years, but they refuse to fix it.

------------------
2004-03-06, 6:48 AM #8
Ehehehe, apparently ATI just released new drivers for Linux.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
2004-03-06, 6:50 AM #9
ATI owns Nvidia and will continue to own Nvidia.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-03-06, 6:54 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
ATI owns Nvidia and will continue to own Nvidia.

</font>

Oh yes....

I have never had a problem with ATi's Windows drivers.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-03-06, 6:57 AM #11
Nvidia's next card (aren't they called the "Q series"?) will determine who is on top.

and the only problem I've had with my Radeon 9800 Pro is that it wasn't compatible with KotOR, but I just had to install a quick 8 MB driver to fix it.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

2004-03-06, 7:02 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Ehehehe, apparently ATI just released new drivers for Linux.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

</font>

That article is wrong. Those drivers have been out for a long time, and quite frankly, they suck.
2004-03-06, 7:41 AM #13
i'm just hoping they learned from their mistakes with the FX line

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-06, 7:51 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
ATI owns Nvidia and will continue to own Nvidia.</font>

No.

------------------
2004-03-06, 7:57 AM #15
For once I agree with GBK.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2004-03-06, 8:04 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
If you think their Linux drivers are bad, wait till you have to instal their Windows drivers!
Ever tried to install a TV Wonder? I have. And "try" is the word. The drivers are broken, and ATI has known it for years, but they refuse to fix it.

</font>

... That was a problem 3 years ago.

------------------
[="They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a gun for you and cock it too?" - Eminem=]

a stroll to my step;
2004-03-06, 8:06 AM #17
Sheesh. More and more VPUs.

I'm still with a Ti 4200. Done me justice.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-03-06, 8:14 AM #18
Stop living in denial, GBK. ATI makes great drivers now, even for Linux.

I'm so sick of these stupid hardware wars. It's always like, "HAW HAW NVIDIA GOT PWNED!!! GOIN OUT OF BUSINESS!!!"...seriously, what the hell? Anyone going on about how one company is always going to own another is a total fanboy and knows nothing about the market. Funny thing is, most of the ATI fanboys here were once nVidia fanboys. And they'll be nVidia fanboys once again if nVidia makes a big breakthrough or really fast card that beats out ATI. And then ATI will make another, better card, and then they'll love ATI again...

Just buy whatever's best and shut up.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-03-06, 8:18 AM #19
this is one of those times where i actually agree with emon...

and remember one mistake won't doom a company... it's when you keep making mistakes (look at 3dfx)

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-06, 8:20 AM #20
I overclocked my tnt and now i have a geforcefx true story.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-03-06, 8:40 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Stop living in denial, GBK. ATI makes great drivers now, even for Linux.

I'm so sick of these stupid hardware wars. It's always like, "HAW HAW NVIDIA GOT PWNED!!! GOIN OUT OF BUSINESS!!!"...seriously, what the hell? Anyone going on about how one company is always going to own another is a total fanboy and knows nothing about the market. Funny thing is, most of the ATI fanboys here were once nVidia fanboys. And they'll be nVidia fanboys once again if nVidia makes a big breakthrough or really fast card that beats out ATI. And then ATI will make another, better card, and then they'll love ATI again...

Just buy whatever's best and shut up.

</font>

Well the Nvidia drivers worked out of the box for me. ATI wanted me to compile some crappy AGP GART module.
2004-03-06, 8:44 AM #22
ATi's Hardware OWNS nVidia's.
nVidia's Drivers OWNS ATi's.
If you're on linux, nVidia is the obvious choice. If you're on windows though--go with performance. I runa Ti4400 but that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have a Radeon 9600XT.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-06, 8:57 AM #23
This summer is going to kick @$$ with the release of NV40 and Doom III looming on the horizon.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-03-06, 9:11 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">ATI owns Nvidia and will continue to own Nvidia.</font>

At least until nVidia come out with a better card again. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
Neither ATI nor nVidia is better than the other, but the competition benefits us the most.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-03-06, 9:23 AM #25
ATI's Linux drivers are not up-to-par. If you want to use Linux with a high-end graphics card, you've pretty much limited your choices to nVidia-based products only. ATI decided to concentrate on the Windows market (where the vast majority of their sales come from, I understand). This, however, has been known for ages. I currently use a Radeon 9700 with Windows XP, and it's easily the best graphics product I've owned.

[This message has been edited by KnobZ (edited March 06, 2004).]
2004-03-06, 9:49 AM #26
Emon: I actually don't know jack about video cards. I just love to piss off people that are obsessive about something insignificant. Example:

Windows is a million times better than Linux and always has been.

I don't actually know that and I don't actually care. I just like to see the defensive denial and the occasional head explosion over something so stupid. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

btw emon, your right. If Nvidia makes a better card than 9800 and I can afford it, of course I'm going to buy it. It's common sense.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited March 06, 2004).]
2004-03-06, 10:22 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Stop living in denial, GBK. ATI makes great drivers now, even for Linux.</font>
You obviously haven't tried the linux drivers. They only work for about 30% of the people, and even when they do work, the framerates aren't near what they are in windows. nVidia drivers, on the other hand, work flawlessly and I get better framerates on native linux games like quake3 and ut2k3 than I ever got on windows. It's a noticable different. Quit spewing lies, please.

I'm not talking about the quality of the hardware or what it's "potential" is. I'm talking about real world experiences. Who cares if ati can get better framerates in linux in their LAB when only 30% of people can actually make the drivers work, and even when they do, they're 60% of the windows framerates?

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-03-06, 11:30 AM #28
He speaks the truth. I was the owner of a Radeon 9800 Pro until this morning, when I sold it for this very reason.
2004-03-06, 11:51 AM #29
You sold a 9800 Pro because it didn't work on Linux properly...

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-03-06, 11:53 AM #30
As I mentioned in my Web Log, I originally ordered an ati card but traded it for an nvidia one after the guys doing the preinstallation of linux warned me that in the future, I would have trouble upgrading the drivers and whatnot.

On the slashdot article comments, for example, they say that their radeon performs 50% worse on linux than on windows.

It's obvious that linux drivers aren't a priority at ati. Which is fine, it's their company and they're allowed to do whatever they like with it. However, as a consumer, I'm going to support (with my dollars) companies that in turn support my needs. Thus, nvidia it is. It's only logical.

------------------
2004-03-06, 12:18 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Stop living in denial, GBK. ATI makes great drivers now, even for Linux....</font>

Bull****. Show me a link to drivers for the TV Wonder that have been updated in the past 3 years, and Ill eat my hat.

------------------
2004-03-06, 12:19 PM #32
Your red hat!

ZING!

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-03-06, 12:54 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
You sold a 9800 Pro because it didn't work on Linux properly...

</font>

What use is it to me? I don't have Windows installed... besides, my old TNT2 M64 works like a charm. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] (Actually, I'm serious, the Nvidia dirvers worked the very first time and have good performance)

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited March 06, 2004).]
2004-03-06, 1:08 PM #34
I can't speak about Linux, but my 9800 Pro has only ever had one issue with a game (CoD) in Windows and that was resolved quickly.

As for my next card, I don't care which one it is, fanboy behaviour just blinds yourself to the facts. ATI is on top now (in windows anyway), but Nvidia has made great cards in the past and ATI has made crap ones. So I'll wait to see the reviews and benchmarks to make a decision...is there any other reasonable way to do it?

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-03-06, 1:21 PM #35
Well considering the ATi newest card has JUST been announced (like 1 month ago) I think nVidia will be on top for a little while, until the new ATi one comes out. Personally, I think ATi will continue to be on top, because they overcame their hardware problems which happened because they were lesser known and newer than nVidia, but you never know. For a while, at least, ATi is on top. Heck, their 9700 pro, bargain card, is on par with the 5950 (non-ultra).

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-06, 1:31 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Well considering the ATi newest card has JUST been announced (like 1 month ago) I think nVidia will be on top for a little while, until the new ATi one comes out. Personally, I think ATi will continue to be on top, because they overcame their hardware problems which happened because they were lesser known and newer than nVidia, but you never know. For a while, at least, ATi is on top. Heck, their 9700 pro, bargain card, is on par with the 5950 (non-ultra).

</font>

Errm.... The R420 has been know since like December... ATi will be releasing their card first, nVidia a few weeks after.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040303053212.html

------------------

a stroll to my step;
2004-03-06, 2:36 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Personally, I think ATi will continue to be on top, because they overcame their hardware problems which happened because they were lesser known and newer than nVidia, but you never know.</font>
ATI has been making graphics cards a LOT longer than nVidia. ATI was founded in 1985 and nVidia was founded in 1993.

As an interesting side note, they have roughly the same number of employees. ATI has 1900 and nVidia has 1700.

------------------
2004-03-06, 4:24 PM #38
Currently, ATI's cards slightly outperform NVidia's cards. As for driver problems, I don't run Linux (I prefer to have every program possible be compatable, otherwise I'd quickly ditch the shaky Windows ME and XP), but I know that when ATI turned out its Radeon series, it put Windows driver problems in the past. Currently, I hear that with Windows, Nvidia's cards are the ones with driver problems.

Also, one must remember each's domain; GEForce cards are geared toward using OpenGL, while Radeon cards are designed to work better with DirectX. Since the majority of games use DirectX instead of OpenGL (Tbhe Q3A engine is just about the only "modern" major engine using only OpenGL), I personally prefer the Radeon cards, for now.

Of course, there's another reason you people are forgetting, as toi why Radeon Cards own GEForce cards: all new (and modern) Radeon Cards purchased retail come with a voucher for Half-Life2! So you should compare the prices as well, knocking $50 (the estimated value of HL2) off ATI's price, since if we get it, I'm sure we'll be playing it. A lot.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-03-06, 4:32 PM #39
Assuming you're interested in HL2.... *cough*

------------------
2004-03-06, 4:40 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Assuming you're interested in HL2.... *cough*</font>

I see myself probably getting many of the new, upcomming games... UT2k4, Doom3, HL2, Halo2... Others might not. I merely stated that if we got it, we'd most likely try to get our money's worth out of the game. Others may feel differently.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!