Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Am I the only one here who thinks that milk is nasty?
Am I the only one here who thinks that milk is nasty?
2004-03-06, 10:14 PM #41
Being not-lactose-intolerant? Yeah, it's a caucasian thing. As humans became smarter and smarter, we started bundling up and moving north. With our limited skin exposure and the generally blustery conditions of the north, our skin turned white so we could get more vitamin D from sunlight. It still wasn't enough, however: a few humans who discovered cow milk (and could survive drinking it) managed to get sufficient vitamin D and were stronger than those who didn't. Evolution in action.

In general, if you have white skin, it's okay to drink milk. Even if you don't, it's probably still alright to eat cheese, since most of the lactose is removed. It's not like it's very easy to avoid dairy products (and my sister has to, for non-lactose reasons), so don't sweat about it.

Also: Pasteurization is a wonderful thing.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited March 07, 2004).]
2004-03-06, 10:25 PM #42
More specificly, groups of people who evolved with domesticated cattle are the one who can drink milk. The people who didn't are often those who are lactose intolerant. That's why you see many Asians who are lactose intolerant.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-03-07, 5:37 AM #43
if youre having icecream to get a source of calcium, because the calcium in cows is apparently not USEFUL to us humans, you should know that the icecream is made of milk...from COWS *gasp*

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-03-07, 9:42 AM #44
If everyone ate a fully balanced and healthy diet, you wouldn't need cow milk for extra vitamins and calcium - you'd get it in various other foods. But the sad truth is, no one in today's society eats the way they're supposed to. We don't even come close. So drinking cow milk would be the next best thing. The hormones can cause problems, but it's not that big a deal. Millions of people drink milk everyday, and they're not dropping like flies.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-07, 9:47 AM #45
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Besides, milk has beef hormones, fat, and even a little bit of cows blood in it.</font>

Hormones? Yeah, makes my acne bad. I hate it. Fat? Er, skim? 2%? Cow's blood? Um, you ever eat a steak that was anything less than well done?

And actually, bacon probably has none of those. Since it's supposed to be pork.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-03-07, 1:37 PM #46
I don't think there are many other foods (other than milk) that provide you with calcium... Maybe you are supposed to eat that rock salt stuff (some of which is CaCl2, i think).

------------------
Death to all who oppose me!
Stuff
2004-03-07, 3:51 PM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolvie17:
if youre having icecream to get a source of calcium, because the calcium in cows is apparently not USEFUL to us humans, you should know that the icecream is made of milk...from COWS *gasp*

</font>

I eat ice cream b/c it tastes good, not to get calcium.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-03-07, 3:58 PM #48
I only drink chocolate milk. 2%, with two light spoonfulls of NesQuik.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-03-07, 7:00 PM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
I don't think there are many other foods (other than milk) that provide you with calcium... Maybe you are supposed to eat that rock salt stuff (some of which is CaCl2, i think).

</font>

Collard greens, and broccoli are excellent sources of calcium.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-03-07, 7:07 PM #50
Calcium pills are an excellent source of calcium, too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-07, 8:37 PM #51
I'm not going to bother dissecting the whole article but here are some exceedingly dodgy points:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">; the majority of children with diseased vessels had been fed cow milk or cow milk based formulas. It is therefore reasonable to conclude that the differences between human milk and cow milk were responsible for the early changes in the coronary arteries." </font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif] Gee, what about other lifestyle factors, family history of atherosclerosis etc?

This pearler is from the second last paragraph of the link Pagewizard gave us:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When the diets of young criminals were contrasted with those of adolescents from a similar background, it was found that the juvenile delinquents consumed almost ten times the amount of milk that was drunk by the control group. The juvenile offenders ate less fruit, nuts and vegetables."
</font>

OMG Milk causes crime! Video games cause violence! Canaries cause nuclear fallout!

If you want scientific/health information I would suggest you search using something like Pubmed or Scirus.
2004-03-07, 10:49 PM #52
That second one is good.
Dormouse! Can you re-post that "study" you did with the bread and incarcerated criminals? This sounds a lot like it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Lost in a flood, run red with your blood

I've just locked an open door. Strange, yet symbolically compelling!
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-03-08, 11:30 AM #53
I never really have drank any milk in my life at all. Only when I eat cereal (which is maybe twice a month). I have worried about not getting enough Calcium, but I figured I was young so it didn't matter. Apparently, broccoli is a good source of calcium. I usually have a serving or two of broccoli every other day. Do you think that would be enough calcium?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-03-08, 11:41 AM #54
I don't like milk. I used to love it, but I got allergic. I even get a damn skin reaction too. And my uncle's a dairy farmer. God hates me sometimes..

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve

↑ Up to the top!