Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I got my Yellow Sash in Kung Fu!
I got my Yellow Sash in Kung Fu!
2004-03-06, 11:52 AM #41
yeah i dont understand this dan business, nor do i know how to use katana, youre confusing japanese martial arts with chinese.

i take shaolin kung fu, (southern, im fairly sure).

about the pressure points. they're very much existant but certain things ic ant really tell you folks now can i? :P however one common on is between the webbing between your index finger and thumb put your index finger on the palm side of the webbing, and your thumb on outter side of your hand webbing, move your finger tips about a cm and a half infrom the outter most part of the webbing and give it a big squeeze (youre tryin this on your opposite hand of course [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]) if you do it right, it should hurt like a ***** [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

in kung fu there are degrees, you can be a first degree black sash, second, third etc. but generally, i can tell you right now, any blacksash can kill you. atleast from my school. our school not only is run by this penny pincher of a ******* :P you cant really blame him for being so expensive coz the training is so hard core. each sash takes you a year minimum. the youngest sifu to ever get a black sash at our academy was when he was 16 and he joined at like age 6-7, but there are others who've been init since 4. generally if you start your kid off as soon as he starts school, he can prolly get his blakc sash in 8 years. but as an adult it takes you a decade, usually.

[edit] a charlie horse done properly will get you the following results: the person drops straight down onto the inseps of their feet and collapse at evrey attempt at getting up for hte next 3-5 minutes
------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]

[This message has been edited by Wolvie17 (edited March 06, 2004).]
2004-03-06, 12:41 PM #42
We have lots of little kids in tae kwon do.. I don't think doing martial arts from a REALLY early age is all that good.. A child wouldn't have the self-control, co-ordination or the physical ability to do some of the most basic movements, and so a little kid at red belt would be severely lacking compared to an adult at red belt...

But the little kid being brought up with martial arts from a really early age would have it ingrained into him/her and probably find everything a lot more natural once he grows up, I guess..
Though I don't really see how a 4 year old doing martial arts is all that useful.

But it is cool to stand and watch 40 little kids all doing kicks and punches all simultaneously. Training up a huge mini-army... now there's a plan!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-03-06, 12:49 PM #43
well obviously the children dont move up as fast. plus when the kids go from the youth class to the adult class, they dont change sashes, they repeat the same sash over again but as an adult. martial arts from a young age is insanely useful. children have better flexibility and strength. believe me, up until 10 its just bonus conditinoing more than it is skill. but then from 10 onwards instead of worrying about strength flexibility and knowledge, you jsust have to practice and keep refreshing your knowledge. they're much luckier than us that way.

------------------
2004-03-06, 2:44 PM #44
Hung Gar? Choy Lay Fut?

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-03-06, 9:48 PM #45
I'm just going to throw this out there, and who ever gets offended can reply in whatever manner they desire. I find it rather interesting/ammusing that generally in traditional arts, they brag about "death moves" and how lethal their top ranking members are. That being said, I've yet to hear anyone I've trained with from any of the "non-traditional arts" (JKD, Muay Thai Boxing, Brazilian Jujitsu, American Boxing, and Savate (French Kick Boxing)) brag about any such things. I've always found that bizarre.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-03-06, 10:52 PM #46
I don't get it either, it's almost like "I bet my dad could beat up your dad" or something equally childish. I've never heard a judoka make claims like that before though.

------------------
Jagged Conscience: No maeve, don't stand up for Rob, he needs to learn.
Maeve:that's Rob?
Jagged Conscience: He's a Rob
2004-03-07, 2:38 AM #47
I dunno, I find that the people that say that are usually the people that take up martial arts so they can beat up bullies at school. Hurting people is exactly what martial arts aims to avoid; in a pub brawl, the average joe could easily grab a bottle smock el blokey over the head with it and kill him, but a martial artist should be trained to disarm blokey and get away as quickly as possible.

Also I think that the non-traditional martial arts are much more like a sport, rather than an art (tae kwon do is the same, some instructors treat it just like a sport doing just the fighting and ignoring all the traditional patterns and things), and so would have to follow a lot of rules (no spinning backfist, no kicks below the belt, no hits to the back of the head, etc) whereas the traditional martial arts don't have that.
We learn a LOT of moves that we could never use in a sparring competition, like groin thrusts and twists, but are still part of the patterns. Those sorts of moves are usually a lot more dangerous than the ones we use in sparring. You wouldn't have those things at all in kick boxing and whatnot.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-03-07, 2:40 AM #48
Congratulations Wolvie. Honestly. I know how much training, exercise, discipline and dedication martial arts requires, even to attain the next level. Keep it up!

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-03-07, 5:20 AM #49
well people brag about all those death moves because they know them but would never use them. because if they used them they'd never have to brag about it, people would just see it. thats the irony about martial arts. if you have the patiece and will to learn all that, you end up having the knowledge of knowing unfought fight is the victorious one

------------------
2004-03-07, 6:16 AM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolvie17:

about the pressure points. they're very much existant but certain things ic ant really tell you folks now can i? :P however one common on is between the webbing between your index finger and thumb put your index finger on the palm side of the webbing, and your thumb on outter side of your hand webbing, move your finger tips about a cm and a half infrom the outter most part of the webbing and give it a big squeeze (youre tryin this on your opposite hand of course [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]) if you do it right, it should hurt like a ***** [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Oww! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
2) You statement is lacking any clear structure or grammer. Please add these things.</font>

Sweet irony...
/fluffle
2004-03-07, 6:36 AM #51
On martial arts - they are sueless if the guy you are fighting has a gun, but otherwise, they are quite effective in a real fight, mostly because the other guy (or gal) does not really know how to fight.

On the guys side, most guy fights consist of 0 kicks (unless its a stomp when you are down), and the guy swing his fist in a semi-circle to land a punch (arcs from his shoulder out, and then in towards the intended target) - a complete waste of kinetic energy. People with martial arts training can not only block a punch like that (due to its slow momentum), but can also likely land 3 punches in that time, since they know that straight punches are quicker and make more effective use of kinetic energy, especially if you add a little 'snap' at the end.

All that said, out of all the martial arts, Tae Kwon Do is the most useless. If you try Tae Kwon Do against someone your level in another martial art, you are likely going to get your behind handed to you, and that likelyhood goes up the higher up in belt status you go. The reason is because while most Martial arts have a purpose and base in fighting and self defense, Tae Kwon Do is a kata art - meaning, it was more of a meditative art, that the Koreans borrowed, and mistook it for self defense. Don't get me wrong - Tae is very effective against non-martial art opponents. Just don't expect to get very far without a lot of non-Tae improvisation in any sort of martial arts open tournament.

------------------
--------------------------------------
Fear is here, where's the beer?
--------------------------------------
Fear is here, where's the beer?
2004-03-07, 6:40 AM #52
As my sensei said "If you use this on a person with a gun you have a 40% chance of getting shot..or is that 60%?"

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-03-07, 12:41 PM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Also I think that the non-traditional martial arts are much more like a sport, rather than an art (tae kwon do is the same, some instructors treat it just like a sport doing just the fighting and ignoring all the traditional patterns and things), and so would have to follow a lot of rules (no spinning backfist, no kicks below the belt, no hits to the back of the head, etc) whereas the traditional martial arts don't have that.
We learn a LOT of moves that we could never use in a sparring competition, like groin thrusts and twists, but are still part of the patterns. Those sorts of moves are usually a lot more dangerous than the ones we use in sparring. You wouldn't have those things at all in kick boxing and whatnot.
</font>

In Jeet Kune Do you begin training by learning to aim for the following locations: Eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knees. We Do not encourage "spinning back fists" over regular back fists because of our belief that just about any spinning move is slow and allows too much time for an interception. You're right, training and sparring are treated like a sport: full contact. Likewise, the only competitions that I know of that accept members from Muay Thai or JKD are no holds bar matches, because of the fact that they are trained to aim for anything and everything (including your hit to the back of the head).

I'm just wondering why traditional members feel they need to brag? Is it because they need to reassure people that their system does indeed work?

Heh, SAJN, my Sijo said many similar things.

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-03-08, 3:40 AM #54
When I went to Tae Kwon Do... i floored the teacher in one hit, I was about 9 years old, he did a big unsettling spinning kick kinda thing over my head, at the same time, i went for a punch to the stomach.... his jumping raised his height, naturally.... since he was showing off his skills and nothing more, the punch the the balls made him go slightly redder when he was getting off the floor.

(btw... steel toe capped boots seem to be pretty efficient in a fight, I always kick people in the shins and kneecap.... with toecaps it usually ends fights prematurely).

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.

[This message has been edited by Septic Yogurt (edited March 08, 2004).]
2004-03-08, 6:28 AM #55
That must have been embarassing for him [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
2) You statement is lacking any clear structure or grammer. Please add these things.</font>

Sweet irony...
/fluffle
2004-03-08, 7:55 AM #56
Congrats Wolvie! =)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raoul Duke:
Martial Arts = useless in a real fight</font>

*shrug*
A friend of mine learned a bit of Judo..he's not someone you want to pick a fight with..

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-03-08, 8:39 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All that said, out of all the martial arts, Tae Kwon Do is the most useless. If you try Tae Kwon Do against someone your level in another martial art, you are likely going to get your behind handed to you, and that likelyhood goes up the higher up in belt status you go. The reason is because while most Martial arts have a purpose and base in fighting and self defense, Tae Kwon Do is a kata art - meaning, it was more of a meditative art, that the Koreans borrowed, and mistook it for self defense. Don't get me wrong - Tae is very effective against non-martial art opponents. Just don't expect to get very far without a lot of non-Tae improvisation in any sort of martial arts open tournament.
</font>

Oh? I didn't know that. Our lessons aren't quite like that. When we do patterns and line-work, we rely heavily on a sine-wave movement for punches, blocks and, though less so, kicks; but when sparring, no-one does that, and everything is very direct, making good use of a combination of kicks. Hook-kick is my personal favourite.
I did try Wodaru (sp?) once, which is something like karate but with judo as well. it seemed okay, but with the moves quite different; they rely more on a twisty-hip move for punches, rather than the up-down move that Tae Kwon Do does.
But other than that, I don't really know much about other martial arts.

How exactly does Tae Kwon Do compare to other things?

There's a surprising variety of different martial arts classes around here, for some reason, so I'd be happy to try something new.
There is a Kung Fu class not so far away, which is why I'm really interested in Wolvie telling me as much as possible about it!
2004-03-08, 8:41 PM #58
You'd learn far more by going to the kwoon and asking if you could watch a class and talk to the sifu.

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-03-09, 10:04 AM #59
Congratulations, Wolvie17. My girlfriend and I started taking Tae Kwon Do in January. I was once a green belt, but she's new to it. We're also taking Yoga, which goes great with martial arts training, in my opinion. I attend a Yoga class from 6-7 and Tae Kwon Do from 7-8 every Tuesday. I find that Yoga is a great warm-up, and much that you learn there carries over to the martial arts (and vice versa).

I think that a few people here seem to think that because they take Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, or other forms of martial-arts, that it must be the same everywhere. This is simply not true. I've taken Tae Kwon Do at 2 different schools in the same state, and there were substantial differences in what we we're learning. It depends on your culture/geography as well. My instructors are quick to point out that we're learning "Americanized" Tae Kwon Do. My point is that even though you're studying a martial-art, you shouldn't assume that your experience is the same as everyone else's. One could even argue that there were even differences in these arts within the countries that they originated. For instance, one of the biggest differences between schools of the same art would be the order of the belts. They aren't always the same, even within the same martial-art.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ok, it's not totally useless but for kids that take up martial arts to avoid getting picked on I don't think it will do much.</font>

What is your bases for this argument? For every kid who has studied martial arts that runs to mommy every time he gets picked on, there is another who breaks the other kids nose. I know this from personal experience.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've seen a black belt kid cry his eyes out as an average kid held him in a headlock and punched him in the face repeatly because the black belt kid was too scared to fight.</font>

I've witnessed something similar. When I was in high school there was this guy who went around bragging about his black belt on a daily basis and how much of a badass he was. Well, one day he picked on (kept pushing him real hard like it was street-ball or something) this quiet kid from LD who was in our basketball game in gym class. The quiet kid gets fed up with it and tackles the black belt kid onto the gym floor and proceeds to found his face in. That being said, it all depends on the individual. I can remember a time in middle school when I actually flipped a guy onto his back, knocking the wind out of him, because he was pushing me around. He didn't pick on me again, and that's due to my martial-arts training.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have always understood that martial arts isn't about kicking someones arse, but about self-defense.</font>

It's about many different things to many different people, but make no mistake about it, many forms of martial-arts were created for the purpose of war and killing.

Pressure points are no secret. You can learn about them by reading a multitude of books on the subject. As far as things like the "Dim Mak" (Death Touch), your guess is as good as mine. For a general overview, see the following link, and please don't use Van Damme in Bloodsport as a reference.

http://www.dimmak.net

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I find it rather interesting/ammusing that generally in traditional arts, they brag about "death moves" and how lethal their top ranking members are.</font>

It's simply propaganda. It's not really that suprising that you would find this in the martial-arts, where many people tend to become rather arrogant due to their abilities (and sometimes lack thereof). You'll find this in all martial-arts, not just the traditional, if you look hard enough.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hurting people is exactly what martial arts aims to avoid</font>

Not entirely true.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All that said, out of all the martial arts, Tae Kwon Do is the most useless.</font>

Although Tae Kwon Do is one of my least favorite martial-arts, I would have to humbly disagree with you. It all depends on the individual. TKD can be very effective, if one takes their training further than the kata's, and point-sparring. I've sparred with people from various martial-arts in the past and can say that I held my own using techniques that common in TKD. Martial-arts training isn't meant to stop the moment you bow out of class. If you wish to see an example of how effective Tae Kwon Do can be in a semi-real fight, watch UFC 01. While not the best fighter in the world, you can easily see how effective a fighter he is by exercising common TKD techniques.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There's a surprising variety of different martial arts classes around here, for some reason, so I'd be happy to try something new.</font>

An effective fighter is a well-rounded fighter. It all depends on your goals. I'd recommend studying various forms of fighting throughout your life.

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-03-09, 10:17 AM #60
I could never do anything like that. The first problem? Not being able to see the target (otherwise I get a face full of twisted metal embedded into my skin), while the second is the lack of dedication towards work.

If necessary, all I'd do is knee or kick someone in the beanbag and run like hell. So long as they were male. The effect is lost on women.

------------------
The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, The Father of Rocketry
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-03-09, 11:10 AM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolvie17:
well people brag about all those death moves because they know them but would never use them. because if they used them they'd never have to brag about it, people would just see it. thats the irony about martial arts. if you have the patiece and will to learn all that, you end up having the knowledge of knowing unfought fight is the victorious one

</font>

I HIGHLY reccommend you read ANYTHING by Geoff Thompson or Marc "Animal" MacYoung, such as Fists, Wits, And A Wicked Right: Surviving On The Wild Side Of The Street or the Bouncer series by Geoff Thompson. They can be a little pricey, and hard to come by. Just do a Yahoo search on Marc MacYoung to visit his website, same with Geoff Thompson. I will warn you, they do have alot of language in the writing, but the stuff is very eye opening. Both of them were former bouncers (amongst other things) and they also put some jokes in the book. But it is very strong with language.

------------------
2004-03-09, 11:16 AM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Fear-:
All that said, out of all the martial arts, Tae Kwon Do is the most useless. If you try Tae Kwon Do against someone your level in another martial art, you are likely going to get your behind handed to you, and that likelyhood goes up the higher up in belt status you go. The reason is because while most Martial arts have a purpose and base in fighting and self defense, Tae Kwon Do is a kata art - meaning, it was more of a meditative art, that the Koreans borrowed, and mistook it for self defense. Don't get me wrong - Tae is very effective against non-martial art opponents. Just don't expect to get very far without a lot of non-Tae improvisation in any sort of martial arts open tournament.</font>

No, TKD use to be very effective, then after it got inducted into the Olympics, it became more sport oriented. Some real TKD still exists out there, but the majority of TKD out there is just a sport now. The "kata" thing is not always true, most TKD schools train for tournaments. I use to train at one sadly. It doesn't even have much use against a man with no training, I watched a TKD guy get his butt kicked by a guy who never took any martial arts.

------------------
2004-03-09, 11:44 AM #63
Congrats, Wolvie!

I'm a Shinzen Kai Karate white sash. I've been training for about two months now. Very fun and very intense training.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-03-09, 1:31 PM #64
merci merci! i really didnt want this to turn into a which art is better etc thing but hey it did. so lemme jus clearify that the reasons art forms differ are because their creators adapted them to the circumstance they were under, the environment they were in. Yoga triggered most of this and it started as a spiritual focus excercise and then it turned into something soldiers did before fights adn then they started addings things to actually make it how they fight. most things are manipulations of yoga. but anyway, i know kung fu forms itself vary soooo much! but im going to china iether this summer or the next with my dad and he has a buncha business friends there who're going to get us a great deal on a tourguide. we plan to hit all the wushu places, starting with the shaolin temple of course [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] apparently, they put on shows and stuff for tourists beacuse iits oneo f their only sources of income since a lot of the kids brought up there are orphans but apparently you can talk to the monks there and stuff and they'll jus teach you some litlte things and what not to humour you:P im very excited

------------------
2004-03-09, 5:38 PM #65
I like Jiu-jitsu personally. But I took some Karate. Anyway, just what I need, a girl who could attempt to kick my *** :P

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-03-09, 6:36 PM #66
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
Dan is Japanese, not Chinese.

</font>

WOAH! WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU SMOKING!?!? DAN IS KOREAN DUDE! Tae Kwon Do = Korean = Dan/Poom Blackbelts. But hey Wolvie, congrats on your sash. I'm technically not allowed to brag about my karate skills, so I'll just say I'm a First Degree(Poom [Dan is for 18 and up]) and I've been training since I was 5 (so about 9 years now) and I love every minute of it. I hope you stick with it till black belt/sash. Don't be scared of gettin the black sash. Just because you are a lethal weapon doesn't mean you'll get in trouble. As you advance through the ranks, you'll learn self-control, and how to deal with conflicts. Besides, in my school (dojang [<--- cause its korean]) over 90% of our curriculum is after black belt. I take a kind or variation of Tae Kwon Do called Mu Duk Kwon. For those who are a little blunt on the history side, it was created by Hwong Kee (look him up). But my system is a combonation system, so we have the kicking, the grappling, the weapons, the weapon DEFENSE, sparring, stunts (w00t!), and Wan Sul. So I think it's safe to say I know a bit. BUT KEEP GOIN! YOU CAN DO IT!

------------------
0_o o_0....ur pants fell off.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-03-09, 9:08 PM #67
blackbelt7, No, it is JAPANESE. Most likely the Korean's adopted it after the Japanese kind of took over there country. Same with DO. DO means The Way in both Japanse AND Korean. The term SHODAN means FIRST DAN or FIRST DEGREE in Japanese arts. I have a Judo book written back in 1959 by a man who was a 2nd DAN in Judo, a Japanese art. So you are most likely smoking something.

------------------
2004-03-09, 9:10 PM #68
I think we can all agree that it is me who is smoking something.
2004-03-09, 9:15 PM #69
And I think we all agree you should be passing it this way...

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-03-10, 1:14 PM #70
In Korean, CHODAN is 1st degree. Yeah, Korea got taken over by Japan, doesn't mean their customs stayed the same. The Koreans rebelled against Japan, makin their own language and stuff. So lets make an agreement, DAN is both Korean and Japanese, k?

------------------
0_o o_0....ur pants fell off.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-03-10, 5:43 PM #71
blackbelt7, yeah, dan is Korean and Japanese. Not sure who originated it first, but in both arts, they say "5th dan" etc.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!